Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - V2 Biceps Done pg 130!

hey darkside do u need unfolder or are u gonna unfold them all by ur self ? actually i want to unfold them and build them before summer ends.

so u looks like facing problem with elbov joint.i made mine like this and it have only one pivot point. mobility was good enought as i expected. i've made some changes to upper forearm. how about this litle trick ?? mike ?
View attachment 209746

That is how most suits do it but the main problem with the Mk VII is that, to be 100% accurate, the circular part of the biceps is curved and this means that a straight 'fin' or 'arm' from the upper forearm will be hitting the curved circular part of the biceps. I could make this curved circular part of the biceps flat but then it will not be 100% accurate. That is what I would do if I could not come up with any other solution.

hey darkside do u need unfolder or are u gonna unfold them all by ur self ? actually i want to unfold them and build them before summer ends.

I will be unfolding it all myself.

Hey all you darkside Mark VII builders...
I've a few quick questions with my build, and figured this would be the place to ask them, since I'm sure you guys would be the ones to know the answers. Apologies if any of this has been asked in the previous 130 pages, I've only probably read ~50 pages.

1) I saw earlier on that darkside501st said the handplate isn't scaled properly. Was this ever corrected?

2) Other than the handplate, if I print everything at the same scale it should all match/be in-scale with everything else... right?
I'm doing a foam suit, so the thickness of the foam means I'm scaling up a bit so I can wear street clothes under the suit (so it's not skin-tight). I started out scaling my boots and shin pieces at 26. Then I ended up scaling the thighs and cod to 29. My concern is that the shins are going to look really "off" compared to the thighs/rest of the suit. It really isn't that much for me to rebuild the shins/boots at 29, but figured I'd ask before I get too far along and have to revisit them.

3) There aren't and Hip pods for foam? So... just do the pep file sans tabs (flaps in Pep Designer)?

That is how most suits do it but the main problem with the Mk VII is that, to be 100% accurate, the circular part of the biceps is curved and this means that a straight 'fin' or 'arm' from the upper forearm will be hitting the curved circular part of the biceps. I could make this curved circular part of the biceps flat but then it will not be 100% accurate. That is what I would do if I could not come up with any other solution.

I will be unfolding it all myself.
i totally agree !
this part was really hard to model for me too and i decided to go ahead and do the upper forearm to joint in the middle of the bicep joint but it is still possible to make a 2 pivot points joint !
great progress though !

how about if we make it with 2 pivot points ? if you give me side prespective image of bicep, elbow and upper forearm (isolated) . and side and front prespective of lower forearm. i'm gonna grab my sector and draw something that could help all of us

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - V2 Gauntlet Done pg 129!

Well, I finished up the biceps today and I have some more pictures to show you all. Take a look:

[url]https://blufiles.storage.live.com/y2pK855QADaFPr6tDja-luTsa-dRWYBMbyPYsRMSQjaNwciPEir4HU1fAacBraMOchyVibetoTZ3Do7S5ljSe30SQ/Mk%20VII%20Arm%20-%201.png.jpg?psid=1[/url]

So I have always been a little stumped by the elbow joint. The curved circles that are part of the biceps wrap around the arm slightly and the upper forearm butts up against the bottom of them. It doesn't really make sense for a single pivot point in the middle of the joint. It seems more like the upper forearm slides over the circumference of the circle. However, that would make building the suit very difficult. The problem is if we just put a single pivot point then the fin that comes off the upper forearm will be hitting the front and the back of the circle and this will limit mobility. So I am asking if anyone out there has any good ideas for how to make this elbow joint.

I see what you mean. What about attaching a gold piece to the elbow joint on the bicep that slid over the gold forearm piece and underneath the forearm missile pod? I think the outer elbow wouldn't be a problem as it would be hidden by the elbow "pad". My other idea features something that would compress as the forearm bends up, either some foam with low density so it can compress or a plate that slides into the forearm kind of like a prop knife where the tip slides into the handle of the knife when under pressure and then pops back out on a spring when tension is relieved. Some ideas that will hopefully get others forming anyway. :)

Well, I finished up the biceps today and I have some more pictures to show you all. Take a look:

[url]https://blufiles.storage.live.com/y2pK855QADaFPr6tDja-luTsa-dRWYBMbyPYsRMSQjaNwciPEir4HU1fAacBraMOchyVibetoTZ3Do7S5ljSe30SQ/Mk%20VII%20Arm%20-%201.png.jpg?psid=1[/url]

So I have always been a little stumped by the elbow joint. The curved circles that are part of the biceps wrap around the arm slightly and the upper forearm butts up against the bottom of them. It doesn't really make sense for a single pivot point in the middle of the joint. It seems more like the upper forearm slides over the circumference of the circle. However, that would make building the suit very difficult. The problem is if we just put a single pivot point then the fin that comes off the upper forearm will be hitting the front and the back of the circle and this will limit mobility. So I am asking if anyone out there has any good ideas for how to make this elbow joint.

hey Mike

do you have an idea how tightly the joint aria will fit an actual arm? my idea is that you could extend some of the joint aria inward just enough to let a tab from the upper forearm pass by the curved circles Mk VII Arm - 2 Idea.png hope that helps

hey Mike

do you have an idea how tightly the joint aria will fit an actual arm? my idea is that you could extend some of the joint aria inward just enough to let a tab from the upper forearm pass by the curved circlesView attachment 209942 hope that helps

Yes, this is the option that I thought of and what I am leaning towards, however, I am thinking that there wouldn't be quite enough room for the elbow once I do this. I might have to make the circles less curved in order to achieve a working elbow joint. Let me put a human arm in there are see what it looks like.

So I started cutting for the first time last night, I turned on The Avengers to listen for motivation to while I cut the lower fore arm pieces, after the movie was over I popped in Iron Man 2 and made it half way through before I finished cutting just that part. I'm going to need a lot more movies aren't I?

Yes, this is the option that I thought of and what I am leaning towards, however, I am thinking that there wouldn't be quite enough room for the elbow once I do this. I might have to make the circles less curved in order to achieve a working elbow joint. Let me put a human arm in there are see what it looks like.

another and I think a better idea would be to keep the bicep as it is and have a tab with to pivot point's that connect to the bicep and upper forearm
Mk VII Arm - 3 Idea.png

don't know if you can see what I mean... I'm not the best artist :)

another and I think a better idea would be to keep the bicep as it is and have a tab with to pivot point's that connect to the bicep and upper forearm
View attachment 209960

don't know if you can see what I mean... I'm not the best artist :)

That is a pretty good idea but I think that would put the pivot point too low and make the elbow area too big. IDK, maybe not... I will see if I can do some testing with my gauntlet at home.

WOW ok not that big ha ha I'm very new to this so sorry for wasting your time dark. I'm 6'1" so 26-26.5? tho i have taking a size with help 9.4 inches tall and 7.1 wide? i don't know if that helps?

WOW ok not that big ha ha I'm very new to this so sorry for wasting your time dark. I'm 6'1" so 26-26.5? tho i have taking a size with help 9.4 inches tall and 7.1 wide? i don't know if that helps?

What you should do is to try and determine what scale you need and then assemble the tester helmet to make sure that scale fits. Then adjust as needed. This way you can make sure it will fit.

I tried to do that but you say id look like a spaceballs guy lol think ill try one of the smaller sizes and see how I go :)

I haven't done much to my helmet in the past few weeks, but I would like to share some of the progress I have made.

This is how the helmet looks right know, along with the right hand:
2013-07-17 20.34.42.jpg

Since last time, I have cut the eyes and worked on how all the pieces fit together, filling the gaps, shanding all cuts flat and making some support flaps so the pieces doesn't fall easily.

Here it's the fitting of the faceplate with the helmet, I still have to work more, but it's much better now:
2013-07-17 20.35.50.jpg

Here you can see that I have put extra material in the lip and arround the theeth. This way the faceplate fits perfectly and stays in place. I will have to put filler over that fiberglass, figure out how to mark the theeth and cut the excess. I had to add these bigger flaps because after cutting the faceplate there was a lot of space between it and the theeth:
2013-07-17 20.36.36.jpg

Also I'm trying to make it easier to attach the lower part of the helmet, I'm putting some flaps so it can overlap with the inside of the helmet, I still have to think if I'm goint to attach some magnets or any other to secure it:
2013-07-17 20.38.02.jpg

This is the way it will attach, right now the piece stays in place, but it's not very secure and can fall if you force it:
2013-07-17 20.38.38.jpg

Here you can see the flathead screws I would like to use to make the screw details. I think that doing that detail by hand would be too dificult. This screws have a head of about 7.5mm in diameter, I'm planning to cut them, drill the holes in the helmet and put the screw with the head flat to the surface. Do you guys think this will look nice??
2013-07-17 20.35.40.jpg

I hope next time I can finish all the edges, put the screw details and finally attach the ears. And I think I won't be doing a cast of this helmet, I like how it's going but I may build another one when I finish this...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back