The LARGE Terminator CPU Chip project - needs a builder.

Sorry chaps. Got a bit sidetracked. This is on hold with my prop guy at the mo. he has too much on with other projects. We may get back to it at some point in the future.

Thanks for the update SS. I'm happy with any delay at the moment as I've blown a fortune over the last coupla months. I'm still defo up for this whenever it happens though. Just keep me in the loop please! :):thumbsup

That's what I was thinking too. I've seen a few interest and sale threads fall flat on their face recently due to lack of funds all over the place.
I for one have spent far too much lately.
I'll give this time to fill the piggy bank and get some of these other projects done and check back later.

Cheers,

It's the after holidays, the bills came in, people are pulling back on spending.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing stopping this job from getting done is cash. Take the cost of materials (resin, plastic or metal) vs how bad you guys want it. It's a simple machine job.

No matter how you slice this job up (or what it's made of) it's a material eating monster.

Sorry to say, you can talk this one to death or pay someone to properly build it. It'll weigh a ton in aluminum but it would look amazing with a proper powder coated finish.

If you can get someone willing to machine this beast for you for less than 3,500.00 you'd be doing great and should jump on it.

You'd see a price drop if you rolled with plastic blocks & metal greeblies, but you're talking about a different finish. Still a 1500.00 to 2000.00 CNC job

Again, it's the bulk of this prop that kills it. That, and the time it would take to turn such large pieces. Keep in mind how large the stock would have to be prior to being turned.

Material and time is what costs you at the machine shop.

Good luck though, guys. Hope you find someone willing to make a few of these for you. That's the other problem. Tooling up for this would be crazy expensive and just not worth it to most builders.

-Rylo

Last edited:
I'm screaming in my head right now, because I can see this easily being done with MDF, PVC tubing (even for the collars and their notches), and a decent table saw (and preferably also a drill press). Just needs the time to cut everything up, glue, drill holes, paint it all, and finish final assembly.

I lack the table saw (and drill press), and space to build it, as my apartment building would not be pleased with the noise.. :-/

With MDF it would be heavy, but the fabrication is pretty repetitive & routine stuff.

Lego should come out with one of these. ;)

I wonder if there would be a way to make this out of foam board, pink or blue insulation foam board.

REP from ONEYE! I didn't know that wood has a hardness scale! It makes sense, but I never considered it would have an actual scale. You taught me something new! Thank you!

:cool:thumbsup :)
Just trying to help where I can. Thanks for the Rep point. Its my first :$

Based on web sites, un-planed 4x4 by 48inch runs around $43.00. rough price would be $101.00 for 30 blocks. or go to a 5x5 and machine down to size would be around $225.00. Of course lumber is a commodity. So the materials price does go up and down. Ive been wood working since Jr high. So for about 40 years. And buying lumber from the same local yards. So my guy might cut me a break on cost if he ordered it.

Last edited:
CPUchips.png

So is this project going ahead?

Sorry if this appears as a hijack.

I've been thinking about making one of these for a long time and kept putting it off because the of the size and weight. I originally intended to make the cubes out of MDF, so imagine the weight of that!

As I am getting into Vac Forming, am looking for various projects I can make with that and thought this might be one of those projects that could/can.

So with my skills on Sketch Up improving, I was able to model the thing. Not 100% sure about the size so I've drawn mine with 100mm cubes and about 40mm spacing between them and 5mm for the bevels.

Top/Base
attachment.php

Essentially my plan is make the cubes as half height (2 x 25mm MDF) and half the pipe that joins them. I'd probably get the surrounds cut on a laser cutter.

Middle Parts
attachment.php

The two centre sections would be made with the rings top to allow extra pipe to attach the sections.

Complete Unit
attachment.php

And this is what it should look like when assembled.

Is there supposed to be a connection port at one end?

Feedback welcome.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back