The LARGE Terminator CPU Chip project - needs a builder.

I personally wouldn't mind what it was made of or what it weighed......just as long as the finished product looked screen accurate and was built sturdy enough.

That $500 quote would be on the low side IMO. There is a ton of work involved in casting and building, I know it is a very simple design but lots of pieces.
The way I would build it so it was sturdy and repeatable easily is make 4 block molds for the blocks, there would be 4 different ones. Make these with 1" steps on all tube openings, makes it easy to assemble and strong. I would make this out of MDF so the beveled edges would be easy on a router table.Then you just need to source the correct PVC or ABS pipe, closest I could find with a quick search was 1.30 not 1.25" so if your ok with the slightly larger tube than it makes it easy. You'll need approx 20 feet of pipe, 59 pieces at 4" long. The washers can be done on a lathe, say 6 to mold still makes for 19 times or casting.
Making the masters and molds should only take a few nights but the casting process would be painfully slow for even one build even with multiple molds.

ILkrd.jpg

That $500 quote would be on the low side IMO. There is a ton of work involved in casting and building, I know it is a very simple design but lots of pieces.
The way I would build it so it was sturdy and repeatable easily is make 4 block molds for the blocks, there would be 4 different ones. Make these with 1" steps on all tube openings, makes it easy to assemble and strong. I would make this out of MDF so the beveled edges would be easy on a router table.Then you just need to source the correct PVC or ABS pipe, closest I could find with a quick search was 1.30 not 1.25" so if your ok with the slightly larger tube than it makes it easy. You'll need approx 20 feet of pipe, 59 pieces at 4" long. The washers can be done on a lathe, say 6 to mold still makes for 19 times or casting.
Making the masters and molds should only take a few nights but the casting process would be painfully slow for even one build even with multiple molds.
.05" works out to just under 1/16" so you would only notice if you took calipers to it. And as long as it is only two layers think you should only need three blocks: Corner, edge, and middle.

Last edited:
.05" works out to just under 1/16" so you would only notice if you took calipers to it. And as long as it is only two layers think you should only need three blocks: Corner, edge, and middle.

Ok one less mold more casting, I was going for 2 molds for the middle pieces as there are more of them. And 1/16" makes a diff to some people. Regardless I was outlining how I "would" do it, not really interested in this amount of work in casting.

My prop guy is going to price this up. If there is enough interest and the price is right then he will probably continue. He said that he will make this properly... No half baked version. He will machine the rings and hollow cast the blocks to keep the weight down to keep shipping costs lower.

It won't be a cheap version but a high end replica if he proceeds....... It's the same guy that made my V for Vendetta masks, Underworld stars, Hellboy grenades, reliquary and big baby shells so if you haven't seen any of these pieces check em out as the quality is second to none........

I like the idea of hollow boxes. 1 mold for the 4 sides, 2 molds for either end. What type of router bit would I need?

It won't be a cheap version but a high end replica if he proceeds....... It's the same guy that made my V for Vendetta masks, Underworld stars, Hellboy grenades, reliquary and big baby shells so if you haven't seen any of these pieces check em out as the quality is second to none........
Hell yeah, I'm in if this proceeds! I bet you won't get but a few people interested in a high quality replica of this piece, though. Although I could be wrong.

That's a curved bit! Need a chamfer router bit. I need a project for the shopbot. Perhaps a "DIY" flat pack kit I could mail out.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back