My 12 year old wants a Kermit puppet.....HELP me RPF-kenobi, your my only hope

NakedMoleRat

Master Member
Talked her into going to see The Muppets. She had NO interest in seeing it at all. After the movie we went straight to Target and got The Muppet's take Manhattan, Kermit's swamp years and season one of the Muppet Show. I also found the fleece! I need help bad in getting a full puppet pattern. I plan on doing legs, the whole works. Can some of the talented folks here who have made a Kermit help me find the patterns etc. that I will need. It appears that a Kermit pattern is the new graflex!
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Good lock, bro! I;ve been looking for the full puppet Kermit for years to no avail. Sure, I have the MR photo muppet, I just don't have to stone to go carving into his back!

It was a long, long time ago but I used to make the Fozzie Bear muppet, this was back before I ever messed with resin or pepakura or any of the costuming world. To my knowledge there are no accurate patterns that I can think of, although when I made my Fozzie there was a copy of the Henson patterns on one of the Muppet Maker sites, but that site is'nt running anymore.

Not for the faint of heart!

1296208247_2bd9ac64ce_b.jpg

Michael

Not for the faint of heart!

1296208247_2bd9ac64ce_b.jpg

Michael
Wow Michael, that looks great! Do you have more details? Is the the MR version de-constructed? If so, you have a lot of guts taking a seam ripper to it. If this is, in fact, the MR version, I would imagine you plan on converting it from a photo puppet to an actual usable version?

There are some Kermit Puppet's out there on line but.....30 years ago they made full size muppets for sale. I was an Animal fan and got the last one at Toys R Us back then. He went to college with me and sat in my dorm room with his arms around a Heinekin mug. In fact, I still have him today as part of my collection. These were well made and Kermit was also available.

Oh for the good ole' days....Good Luck!

Something I've always wanted to do! :)

I spent while trawling the internet for puppet patterns and info - actual Muppet patterns are impossible to find!

NMR - here's a PDF KtF rough pattern, drawn from a squared-off version of that poser pic. Also included an alternate head pattern from (I think) an old Fisher Price plush.
Pattern may need resizing or otherwise futzing with.

Hope that helps! And good luck!

Coz.

Attachments

• Kermie.pdf
    916.4 KB · Views: 2,198
I have a puppet from about 15 years ago..forget who made it. It's not too bad, but my kids love it. I've seen people online who have modified it to be more accurate, but it works for us. I ebayed a vintage Fozzie, Rowlf (GREAT puppet) and Ms. Piggy.

Santa is bringing them new plushies from the Disney store (Pepe, Gonzo, Rizzo, Walter, Animal and Beaker). Looking forward to Christmas morning.

Good luck in your build!!!

Use this pattern for the head:
Professional Puppet Patterns, Puppet Building Tutorials, and Materials

And use this for the body:
Professional Puppet Patterns, Puppet Building Tutorials, and Materials

The arms are fairly-simple -- basically just long tubes of fabric with fingers sewn on (with a wire armature inside the fingers).

If you can find light green untrasuede, that's what should be used for the collar. Otherwise, the light green or yellow felt works well in a pinch.

I use welding rods for the arm rods with a 60inch dowel attached at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Once again, the RPF swoops in and makes a 12 year old, and her dad smile. Thank to everyone! I'll post pics when we get him going. Any tips on the foam body for him!

Last edited:
use 1/2 inch sheet foam for the body -- he's kind of like a football with the ends cut out (so you can pass your hand through). you can glue the sheets together using Contact Cement (available at any Home Depot or Lowes-type store).

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back