Help me ID these Star Tours robot parts?

DocNewborn

Hello all,

This is my very first post here, but the site comes highly recommended by my nephew.

I'm a huge fan of the Star Tours ride at the Disney Parks. I frequently contribute to EndorExpress.net, and a couple of years ago I authored a 17-page article on the history of the attraction which ran in Star Wars Insider magazine (and was also translated into French for the foreign language version.)

While poring over pics of the newly updated queue at the Anaheim version of the ride, I spotted a droid who used to run around on a little train track. His name is allegedly LGB, and the new pics confirmed an old suspicion of mine...

watermark.php

His body is an old 'Starriors' toy playset!

And as luck would have it, I already own two of that toy, procured as a possible Cobra base for a GIJoe 'Weather Dominator' diorama. So now I want to recreate this droid, life size!

But I'm at a loss as to the other items they used to make LGB. The head is tantalizingly familiar, but I can't place it. The 'arms' resemble model rocket legs or chair legs, but I'm not sure about those, either.

Can anyone identify any other parts used by the Imagineers to kitbash this little guy together?

Thanks!

Alex

(LGB photo by Paul Hruby, Starriors photo found online)

Keep those theories coming, everyone, and I just got some info from a former Imagineer... he said the droid's name is definitely LGB, because he used to run around the room on an old LGB train track. The kitbash was made by a guy named Chris Tietz, who was still an Imagineer back when I wrote my article for Star Wars Insider a couple of years ago, because he was one of three Imagineers I got to interview at that time.

Gonna see if I can reach Tietz for further info-- wish I'd known to ask him about this back then!

Alex

Good luck in your search!

Can you remember which issue of Star Wars insider magazine that your article was published? I would like to check it out ;)

The Star Tours article was in issue 104, and the Holiday Special article was in issue 106. Happy hunting!

Update on the Chris Tietz search: I contacted the press guy at Imagineering, who handled my previous interviews, and was told Chris no longer works there.

But, hey, I love a challenge.

Alex

Still no luck on tracking down Tietz, but I finally had my electrician Dad come over and look at the pics. He says the head looks like an electrical FSX box, possibly with a dimmer switch glued on top... but we couldn't find any designs that were shaped like this one.

COOPRCE00141_27_PE_004.jpg

The pigtail he said looks like a spring the diameter of no. 9 wire, and the circular mesh at the front is perforated sheet metal.

perforated.jpg

Still no concrete info on the arms.

Alex

Last edited:
A few months later and I'm still no further along at identifying parts to this or tracking down Tietz.

I did, however, make myself a set of Ghostbusters Ecto-Goggles for Hallowe'en, and am beginning a KUD Meter soon.

Alex

Without knowing the scale, the elctrical box just seems kinda large.
To me it looks like an older solenoid valve actuator.
Asco-solenoid-valve-sol-HV2740607-24-dc-1-2-900P4-partpic.jpg

I can't find a pic that looks spot on but I have seen older ones that were more rounded like your mystery part.

Hi DocNewborn,

Although I don't think it is 100% correct, the head looks a lot like a part from a children's toy called Popoids.

attachment.php

Hopefully this will help a bit.

Attachments

• Popoids part.jpg
    Popoids part.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,114
^ exactly what I was thinking it was when I saw the first pic, for the life of me I couldn't think of what the toy was called. Each part attached to that piece in the first pic looks like faucet heads to me.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back