Movies that make you cry.

Titanic- watched it when I was 17 for the first time, cried for about two hours off and on afterwards.
Notebook- Wife made me watch it(the first time)
Gladiator- why'd he have to die.
Up- You don't have a chance to be a tough guy with that one.

Marley and Me.
Forrest Gump.
Extraordinary Measures.
The Pursuit of Happyness.
The Green Mile.
I am Sam.
All dogs go to Heaven.

I knew there was one I was missing.

"He was a soldier of Rome. Honor him." Turns on the tap...

"Who will help me carry him?" Opens the floodgates.

Which also reminds me of the bathtub scene in "On a Midnight Clear." Something about that military brotherhood thing that always gets me.

For me it was as soon as we see his hand opening the gate to his home. If you listen carefully you can even hear the word "home" whispered. I got choked up right away because I realized that the film was going to do something extremely brave and unexpected. I love that the whole movie was about a desire to simply go home. Even though his home was destroyed and his family murdered, he still found a way.

Like him or hate him, Russell Crowe deserved the damn oscar.

Anything by Pixar, but Up really did it to me.
Wrath of Khan, when Spock died.
Saving Private Ryan when Cpt. Miller dies, and his last words were "Earn this"

"Domonick and Eugene" was really the only film that ever really got to me.Oh...and when E.T was left behind.That freaked me out when I saw the film.I was 7 when I saw E.T.

My first crying experience from a movie was the original King Kong...did it again on King Kong 76 when he is getting riddled with bullets.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.. The end gets me every single time...and I've seen it hundreds of times. Candy should have won and Oscar for that performance.

Field of Dreams

Toy Story 3

Forest Gump, when he realizes he has a son and his son is not like him...then the rest of the movie showing his absolute unconditional love for his son..I know what that feels like.

Saving Private Ryan...the end when Ryan ask if he is a good man.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.. The end gets me every single time...and I've seen it hundreds of times. Candy should have won and Oscar for that performance.

With this I agree. Completely underrated for his range as an actor in his short life.

I have to be honest and throw in "Big Fish" as well. I've seen it since and I'm ok, but the first time I saw it was just after my Grandma died. She was known for telling tall tales and Finney's character was very much like her, so the end hit me hard (Especially when the big fish breaches for the last shot). I sobbed like a little b***h. My Mom had to actually put her arm around me. My favorite Burton movie by far.

But, this one, when Arnie finds Christine battered, bruised and half-dead,and almost breaks his (other) girlfriends fingers is still almost too hard to watch. Couldn't find the exact scene, but it's the scene leading up to this sequence. (brings a tear to my eye still today, I downright cried when I read this part in the book.)
YouTube - ‪Christine "Show Me" Scene‬‏

I know the scene you're taking about. I often refer to it as the "post-rape scene" (as many people describe Buddy and his crew's attack on Christine as a rape scene in both the book and film). I completely understand why you would have that invoking. I guess its primarily because during the scene, you see Arnie looking as if he was warming back up to Leigh (talking about applying to the same colleges after high school), but after seeing Christine like that, it pretty much brought him back to that dark side that he was walking on the edge of.

Last edited:
Terminator 2 ending gets me. The part where Arnie says, "I Know now why you cry, but that is something I could never do....lower me into the steel. I can't self terminate."

Twins

Schwarznegger and Divito are in the their office end of the moive and their mother walks in holding a teddy bear, the look on their faces....that's it I'm done lol

There's a lot that I'm going to have to add later, but here's a bunch off the top of my head...

-The Iron Giant
"I am Superman..."

- Braveheart
when she gives him the flower as a child, when she looks for him before her throat is cut, and when he see's her right before his death... "FREEDOM!!!"

- Saving Private Ryan
"Tell me I've lived a good life. Tell me I'm a good man."

- Forrest Gump
"Sometimes there's just not enough rocks", when he found out he was a father, and Jenny's death

- My Life
when he's on the roller coaster at the end

- Philadelphia
when the brother loses it when saying goodbye to Andy in the hospital

- E.R.
when Dr. Green died

- Legends of the Fall
towards the end when the family pulls together to protect Tristan from the corrupt cops

- ST:TWOK
"Of all the souls I've encountered in my travels, his was the most ... human."

when I was a kid, I'll never forget these...

- My Bodyguard
when Adam Baldwin gets beat up and the baddie threw his motorcycle in the lake

- Transformers the Movie (animated)
when Optimus died

- Rocky III
when Mickey died

Last edited:
Which time?

The third time he dies when he gets radiation poisoning and everyone is standing around him when he ascends. Man that guy is like kenny from south park.

And I totally forgot that I got choked up the first time I saw gladiator at the end when he dies.

Only 2001: A Space Odyssey comes to mind. The very last shot. Zarathustra combined with the image of the Starchild. Rather than tears of grief like when Spock dies or whatever, they're tears of... I don't know ... tears of bliss caused by a momentary belief in transcendence or somethin'?... tears of release at Kubrick's vision of escape from the prison of the human condition as represented by this shot..?

Quite a few that have already been named, but...

...Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I have a real hard time watching it, the story hits real close to home.

...right there with you, man. I've been on a week-long binge of watching this movie every night recently. Great film. :thumbsup

I have to agree that, although I've always been able to get into the emotional aspect of a well done scene, my emotional response has intensified since I've had my daughter.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back