ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Re: ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion

Very nice!

About the rings, a pair of off the shelf vintage scope ring uppers should do the trick, no?

OK!

Finally got the revised FH and Mount Cradle with Cross Bar and dovetail.

We went back over the details to get them right. I think the pics speak for themselves.

The FH looks phenomenal! Some are Macro shots so they are distorted but show detail.

The Mount was redone at a finer resolution but we allowed for some tooling which makes it look more like the real HERO.

I will post more when I can. Waiting on the Rings.

Also if you notice a "test" Grill This is a very intricate part to make accurately and this first part is not right... BUT the details are really nice. This part will replicate the actual shapes and off set fins which can not be done on a simple lathe so we did a test to see how to do the fins and internals best. This part was done fast to test the best way to make these so some details are not correct but overall it looks pretty good.

I tried to take details that would show off Carson's great work.

Let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

newfhpostcopy.jpg

newmountcopy.jpg

....About the rings, a pair of off the shelf vintage scope ring uppers should do the trick, no?

Nice idea. We wish it was that simple.

These are small compared to current 1 inch or 30mm tubes. I bought a bunch of 1 inch rings thinking I could do just that with my model... but they are BIG. Too wide and too big a tube.

They prob wouldn't have the correct look anyway. A lot I have seen have flat tops or the ears are too wide or narrow.

These will match nice and be very accurate and will fit correctly.

How do you like those nice round over edges of the hole and outside T bar?

Looks good, i have not much to complain. ;)

"Maybe" the cutout in the underside of the scopetube may be a little bit "prominent" - on the real it might have been a little more decent. (I think)

Looks good, i have not much to complain. ;)

"Maybe" the cutout in the underside of the scopetube may be a little bit "prominent" - on the real it might have been a little more decent. (I think)

I see what you mean. I think it is just because the new part is reflecting a lot. The cut in not very deep and I left it sharp for now. Sorta like a coin relief, Everything is magnified because of the reflection. In the front and side shot it looks right. I think when it is softened and painted it will look great.

I agree, I think it might be because the edges of the undercut are still sharp. The original mount looks like it might have been softened up some around that cut.

But once it's smoothed out a bit, it should look excellent! :thumbsup

-Carson

I see what you mean. I think it is just because the new part is reflecting a lot. The cut in not very deep and I left it sharp for now. Sorta like a coin relief, Everything is magnified because of the reflection. In the front and side shot it looks right. I think when it is softened and painted it will look great.

I believe that, too.

I just wanted to mention it as early as possible - to give you the chance to check, and fix it if needed.

Better now than coming with it later, after production. :lol

The Cross Bar and Dovetail are one piece. The Mount will attach to the cross bar with the thumb screw which is threaded into the Mount and tightened to the dovetail.

Just like the real one!

Hmmm. I hate to be contrary but I think the dovetail should be a separate piece. If you'll recall the scope and mount was used on a different Mauser in the movie "Sitting Target". You can see the dovetail on the side of that pistol here:

SittingTargetmauser_07.jpg

And with the scope in place:

SittingTargetmauser_03.jpg

The scope mount on the original is steel and I think the dovetail was attached to the (I believe) aluminum crossbar for Star Wars.

Dave

Thanks, Dave! We have that second photo, but the first one is new to me. Happen to have any more in that quality? There's other points in the film that may show the slight 'mystery' areas better.

I agree too, the dovetail is definitely separate. I modeled two slightly different versions of the Mount for the runs, one for Aluminum and the other for Steel. The difference is, for the Steel Mounts the dovetail will be separate from the crossbar and Steel to match the Mount. Because just like you said, that way the Steel Mount parts have an accurate Aluminum crossbar to attach to.

And the Aluminum mounts are the same exact Mount, except they have a one-piece dovetail/crossbar. Because when made in Aluminum those will be all the same material anyways. :thumbsup

-Carson

Last edited:

You are correct about the Dovetail on the ST gun.

I was referring to the way the Thumbscrew works.

In ST, you see the scene where Oliver Reed puts the scope and mount on the gun by sliding the mount onto the crossbar.

The Thumbscrew is already attached to the Mount and he just tightens it down against the crossbar.

There is no real way of knowing if the dovetail and crossbar on the HERO were one or two pieces and the materials... but the ST dovetail was no doubt steel. In that nice close up you can see that it had a center hole or divot for the thumbscrew to center on and maybe two side screws to attach to the frame.

The Dovetail from ST may not have been used if it could not be easily removed. I have seen and posted a rear Mauser with dovetail here a while back and it did not look like the dovetail could be removed easily, which makes sense since it needs to be very sturdy for that violent shooting action. It may have been pinned and welded.

The Cross Bar on the HERO seems to be Aluminum.

We made this version in one piece to avoid attachment issues and to make it stronger. We have the center alignment divit as well.

...still can't make out the knurl!!!

Ever notice that the Thumbscrew looks bent? On the close up ST and the hero promo shot below.

...but you will have to bend it yourself... if that's your thing!:)

Han-Solo-02-1-1024x768.jpg

Very interesting! That second C96 mount looks like it replaces the rear Mauser sight completely. I bet it sucked trying to sight that scope in! :lol

-Carson

I modeled two slightly different versions of the Mount for the runs, one for Aluminum and the other for Steel. The difference is, for the Steel Mounts the dovetail will be separate from the crossbar and Steel to match the Mount. Because just like you said, that way the Steel Mount parts have an accurate Aluminum crossbar to attach to.

-Carson

Sweet! I figured you guys were on top of things but when I read about the one piece dovetail I just wanted to make sure.

I don't think I have any other frame caps from Sitting Target that haven't been posted before (those aren't mine) but I'll go ahead and put them into the thread so we have them for reference. Naturally, if the owner of the pics wishes them deleted I will comply.

Thanks Carson :thumbsup

You are correct about the Dovetail on the ST gun.

I was referring to the way the Thumbscrew works.

Gotcha, sorry for the misunderstanding. The way I read it it looked like you were saying that the original was one piece. No worries.

Those are beautiful Mausers you've posted! I've seen samples of the same variants before but none that looked so nice. I don't think I've seen that particular scope arrangement on the Artillery Luger either.:cool

I'm glad everyone is looking and considering the details. After all this time and work, we want to get it right!

Like Carson said, We hope to have a Steel/Aluminum combo version available if cost will allow.

Keep those eyes peeled.

The Mauser with the stock sold at auction for over $70,000.00!

The other one is from a page I found and posted the website.

I was told that "these type mounts were used in the war of Boers in south Africa at the beginning on the 1900 century. Only few of such mounts are known and apparently they where hand made by a gunsmith in England at that time and only high ranking officers could pay the money for them"

Interesting stuff. Especially that they were made in England!

There is still hope to find the HERO mount... but not a lot!

I asked this guy if he knew anything about our Mount... no luck.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back