Warhammer 40000 Space Marines

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M Bison @ Dec 20 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]1381656[/snapback]</div>
Wow. Looks better every update. Masterful paint job. Looks like a real battle-hardened piece of equipment.
[/b]

wow... these are just insanely brilliant. i need one...

That's some great work. Have never been a fan of the beaky marine but would be proud to display a piece like that in any collection. Way superior to the helmets that GW run up themselves. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zuzus @ Jan 5 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1391373[/snapback]</div>
Have you gotten anywhere with the bolter? im so anxious to see how its going.
[/b]

So far all I've done is some very early measurements so I can start scaling it up. The problem is that I'm working with the miniatures and trying to decide exactly how oversized I want to make this thing. I'm actually thinking I'll go with two different sizes, one scaled for a seven foot tall marine and one scaled for an average sized person so I can carry it while I'm in costume and not look ridiculous.

If anybody already has a diagram or schematic of the bolter with any usable measurements that they could share with me, I could certainly use it.

Just curious, what size are you going to scale for? What size weapon do you think it might be close to for a normal sized person?

I did something similar with the Tau Pulse carbine. I made the assumption that the carbine was about the size of the M4 and scaled according to that. Worked pretty well, same size as a M4 with stock collapsed, but I cannot remember the ratio I used. I could try to track it down if you are interested.

Yeah scale seems to be the major problem when building stuff just by looking at the miniatures. it just seems like all the other 1:1 bolters ive seen dont look right because of the proportions or the grip to the rest of the gun etc. i think you will have to scratch build the grip to make it look the right size.

Keep in mind that in the 40k 'verse both Marines and ordinary human soldiers use the same size weapons. Only the pistol grip differs probably, due to gauntleted Marine/bare human hand sizes.
Don't rely to much on the minis as the sizes and proportions when scaled up are just wrong.
Here's a bolter I made:

[attachmentid=11915]

And a Tau costume with pulse carbine - note, this weapon if scaled from the mini should be another foot longer...

[attachmentid=11916]

SAS

I'm taking a page from this other thread and starting with a 1/1 scale drawing of the bolter. I fiinished this last night and an engineer friend of mine with access to a plotter should be making me copies of it right now. Here's about what it looks like:

MyBolter.jpg

The next step will be to transfer this drawing to a few pieces of fiberboard so I can dress them up and get the details and texturing done before I move on to molding and casting.

Of course, many of the details will be worked out in the course of building the master. I know already that I'll be resizing the barrel and the grip at the very least. I don't care how huge these guys are, the notion of any infantry weapon with a 2.5" bore is laughable. Otherwise, I'm happy with the general dimensions from the drawing. It comes in just under 30" in length. For comparison, the M1A1 Thompson was 32" long. So this thing is going to be very bulky.

I'm also having the drawing printed at 75% and 60% of full-size just to see how it fits. 21" is probably a much better size.

The miniature bolter I used as template is a slightly older version than the one in your pic, think its slightly shorter too. I would say yours would be good at say a nice round 24"
FYI a bolter fires .75" cal shells.

SAS

Update on the bolter.

I transferred the drawing to a piece of 3/4" MDF like so:

Roughingout004.jpg

Then screwed together four pieces of it (making the whole piece 3 inches thick) and cut it all out on the band saw. After that I cut the grip off of the two outside pieces and did some work with the router and now I'm here:

Roughingout009.jpg

Now I just have to smooth it all out, add all of the details, build the sights on top, add a muzzle arrangement to the front, and start making a mold. Should be done in no time...

I just realized I haven't posted a finished pic yet. Here's the two that I've painted up and fully assembled:

Finished-2.jpg

And some detail shots:

Finished-1.jpg

Finished.jpg

And current progress on the bolter:

Roughingout012.jpg

Roughingout013.jpg

Of course, I have no idea how I'm going to be able to afford molding and casting this beast. Now would be a good time to check out the helmet thread in the junkyard. :)

Okay, gang. Here you go... The beginning of this thread used to have images of the sculpture for this but here is the final thing. Only one made right now and it is up to my student what happens next but it is fiberglass, lacquer, etc. He plans to make a few but don't know about the size of any run.

It is POSSIBLE that he will want to send a raw pull to someone for help in doing a run. I'll try and find out. We simply used this shape so that I could teach some sculpture and casting.

I have other images and would love to email them to someone for posting as I have somehow exceeded my posting limit.

Enjoy.

[attachmentid=12115] [attachmentid=12116]

I like this one as well. What did you use for that hose on the cheeks? There are some variations of this helmet with two of those on each cheek that would look cool too.

Between this one and the beaky helmet, if anyone puts together a basic Space Marine armor you could make about any chapter. I do not even play Space Marines and I would be interested in the armor. I would like these better with more rounded lenses.

Do you think you will be selling these?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back