The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

OK, if all you guys are gonna be jerks, FINE. I'll leave this thread, but FYI;

I clearly said "I'm GUESSING" how much it cost, and I asked MATT, and MATT ALONE if I was close.
No one but HIM knows how much money he's put into this project, nor how much it's WORTH to him, before he'd sell it, AS-IS.

I chimed in here to get the Ball rolling on this project, because I hate to see so many projects with such Awesome Potential as this one, Sputter-out and Die, as MOST RPF Threads do.

I was curious as-to how much he'd sell the Project for, because I (for one) want to see it done, and as EVERYONE can attest to, the SOONER, the BETTER.
You all (not you MATT) have blown this WAY out of Proportion.

Jerry Springers Final Thoughts: Nice Project Matt, hope to see you Finish It. To the Rest of you: you Know what you can go do to yourselves...

The problem with your "guess" was that it was a completely uneducated guess which made you look silly. Now I must have missed the math class where they taught me that $20,000 fiberglass bat mobile shell plus a $2000 donor car plus several hundred labor ours equals $6000. Again, I know I'm stupid but that just don't seem right...maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
because I (for one) want to see it done, and as EVERYONE can attest to, the SOONER, the BETTER.

Ah, but see this is where your core assumptions have diverted from the truth. For me, the owning of the car is TRIVIAL when compared to the building of it. I LOVE working on this project. I have met tons of interesting people because of it, have learned new skills due to it, and have all around just been having the time of my life. I'm working at a pace that I am comfortable with, while balancing all of my other interests in life... which are many.

So to be brief, for me, sooner is NOT better. In fact, it's the opposite :D

Of course, when I say fast, I mean fast for fabricating an entire real live car while doing anything else in life.
Some people give it decades.

From someone who drives 1/2 a DIY Batmobile daily, driving one around has it's rewards - every one on the world who sees you smiles. Just be ready to interact with all of them, whether it's your postman who brought his daughter by to prove he wasn't lying or the bum who wants to fist bump you. Fist bumps from bums. Get ready for it.

Last edited:
Amazing build its great to watch it come together and has been a massive help to myself and friend

I wish the body was so cheap. I was just offered a shell in UK for$19000

As yes, I saw him on TV. I was impressed with his charity work, seems like a good person.
Odd that he'd never heard of the RPF, I assumed he would be on here.

This pretty much sums up all the best parts of being a maker on a site such as this. Well said, Matt. :thumbsup

For me, the owning of the car is TRIVIAL when compared to the building of it. I LOVE working on this project. I have met tons of interesting people because of it, have learned new skills due to it, and have all around just been having the time of my life. I'm working at a pace that I am comfortable with, while balancing all of my other interests in life... which are many.

Building a static prop is one thing. Building a function prop is another. Building a fully roadworthy prop car is in a class by itself. I would be willing to bet that less then 20% of the base car has been left unchanged.

This build has to be done right the first time to avoid costly and potentially hazardous consequences.

$6,000.....that kills me:)

Ah Matt, I love this thread. Reminds me of the many times people offer me $500 for my all-aluminum R2-D2 then wonder why I cease to acknowledge their existence on the planet :)

I love checking for updates on your build.

If you only wanted Matt's opinion on what he'd sell for without the drama, you should have Private Messaged him instead of creating all this ruckus.

The last I knew, Matt had a battle with cancer going on.I fully understand how that can impact even the simplest issues in life, let alone a project requiring energy and focus. My best wishes to Matt and his future.......I am a 14 year cancer survivor and am lucky to be here myself. You go, Matt. All the best to you!

Hey Gang!

Progress has continued slowly, but steadily. Much has been going on elsewhere in my life, but the MattMobile remains one of my priorities. Check out this latest blog post where I talk about gun doors and air bags.

http://mattmunson.blogspot.com/2015/01/mattmobile-progress-gun-doors-and-air.html

0%2Bcar.JPG

That gun door master looks great! Very clean. That is just a ton of work. I remember when you and expectations to have this done in 6-8 months.... Crazy.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back