Game of Thrones

Season Five.
So much has changed. And not.
Just bought the series and finished it. And I find I am very conflicted by what I've watched.
Firstly off, my congratulations as always for the incredibly high production values and wonderful visual effects. Its has never looked better or as authentic. It really is one of the most convincingly made series of the television age. "Hardhome" and "Dances" had some of the most fantastic set pieces I ever seen so far, and everything about the rest of it feels like it just fell out of the pages and in to reality.
And there in lies part of the problem for me. The unrelenting cruelty and sadisim , particularly visited on the most blameless and decent characters is proving almost unbareably difficult to watch, and I've read all the books. I think its in part because of the barriers between the make believe and real world have been so largely eroded away by the absolutely convincing effects work and acting.
The death of Shireen actually made me feel physically unwell.Granted it was a brilliantly directed piece but those terrible screams off camera haunted me for far too long after. The only time I have had such a severe reaction was watching "Schindlers List". Its rare I have ever had to turn off a program because it was getting a bit too much but I had to get a coffee and take a break after it. That, Sam's beating and Johns death were hard to handle so I cannot say I really "enjoyed" series Five in the normal sense of the word, as much as endured it and I felt there were at least four or five moments in it I wish I had not seen or been shown in such graphic detail.
I think they are actually walking a dangerous line here,where the lingering shots of gore and the visceraly repulsive violence are now actually too much. As much as I wanted some people to have justice meeted out to them , I didn't really want to see their eyes getting stabbed out. Scenes like this would have got films cut or banned from cinemas not too many years ago. Its verging on the obscene in my opinion and its not at all necessary. And once again I found myself wishing the producers would show some self restraint (again) because this is actually going to stop some people from watching it.
The depressing relentless down beat tone of the series, rather like "BattleStar" is beginning to take it toll on me. I actually preffer the changed storylines here as they were very effective in cutting out alot of the character "clutter" that plagues the last few books, and they cleverly seemed balance out the timelines that seem a little out of kilter with them. They also seemed designed to allow some sort of breathing space to develop before "The Winds of Winter" finally crawls across the finishing line.
But with so many characters now gone I find my enthusiasum for the series is now bleeding away more quickly with every new stab wound and cut throat. I think they should wrap it up by the end of the seventh series before people get bored by the endless slaughter. Loved the Dragons though!!!!

yHVM7g1.jpg

I saw a website last night where they're saying a lot of male fans are ticked because it came out that Lena Headey used a body double for last episode's scene with her head CGI'd onto her. Then the female fans are ticked because Cersei didn't have a lot of stretch marks that were described in the book apparently. :lol

I saw a website last night where they're saying a lot of male fans are ticked because it came out that Lena Headey used a body double for last episode's scene with her head CGI'd onto her. Then the female fans are ticked because Cersei didn't have a lot of stretch marks that were described in the book apparently. :lol

Seriously? That's ridiculous.

I meant to post this earlier, but I forgot.
Forgive me if this has been posted already.

"Dragonslayer" (1981) was on TV last weekend, and I noticed a couple of things.

1: The dragon's name was "Vermithrax" - same as Aegon's dragon.
2: The girl disguised as a boy was named "Valeria".
3: The "evil knight" was named "Tyrion".

I thought it was a nice homage on the part of George RRRR Martin to include references to a cult classic in his genre-redefining operatic epic.
He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back