ROTJ ROJ BG Dornean Gunship Kit ID's help

Well, I studied the building instructions of the AMT kit and yes it is from the same kit. It's the same part. Sorry 'bout that. I don't have the kit yet.

006.jpg

Last edited:
I do have those ID's, thanks Almar :)
You're right, they are they same part from the AMT/MPC Slave I Display Stand.

Now, the part behind the Slave I stand is one that I have not ID'd yet. It is a little bigger than the Slave I part, and looks like it has two spru tabs still on it...? I suspect it to be from an aircraft, like the Pylon or a wing flap...

I can go cross-eyed staring at these pics. I traced over the parts again, this time using different colors to represent what I think are different parts to try to help get a better idea what the part shape is.

The Blue parts, I first thought, was an L-shape with holes in it, but closer look, I think the dark part is shadow from 'fins' (triangles) on the side.

The green 'butterfly' wings look like they may have dimples around the curve. I first suspected a wheel fender, or the opening for aircraft landing gear, and even thought that it could be from a hull of a battleship...

The purple parts def look like wheel fenders, either from a car (have not Found any F1's to have this kind of wheel cover) or something like the 20mm Flak

The orange parts def look like Pylons or or similar aircraft part

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Think I'm on to something. The 'butterfly' parts look a lot like the side of this Dodge M6 truck.

M6%20GMC-th.jpg

M6GMC2.JPG

These are the kit numbers but I can't seem to find them.
ESCI/Ertl Kit #8358; Revell #H2340; ESCI #8040; AMT/Ertl #8516

Hmmm...would that also be a F1 chassis just forward of the Slave 1 "wings"?

Also, I've been trying to ID the bumper looking part on top of the cockpit. I've looked through quite a few AMT trucks with no luck. Perhaps another brand....?

Joe

I think it's from a pick up truck, like GMC or a Dodge.
Check this out. It definitely looks like a grill and bumper from a pick up. You can even see the licence plate.

grill-bumper.jpg

It's possible the 'butterfly' parts also come from this kit.

When you mentioned that it might come from a truck, I was thinking that kit too. You seem to show it as a 1/72 kit.

Could it possibly be the 1/35 version? Testors/Italeri released that around the time of the movies. It came from older molds by Peerless Max. Actually 1/32 scale or so.

the bottom "bumber" appears to have a 1/20 F1 transmission part on each end (on the left and right)

the "grill" on top could have been trimed on the left side to fit in place with the Slave I part, or it could be under it on that side. On the right it looks like it has a little more shape to it (see attached).

Last edited:
the bottom "bumber" appears to have a 1/20 F1 engine part on each end (on the left and right)

I think they are just little holes in which you have to glue in lights like you can see in this picture. When I magnify the picture in post #79 I can see no glued om (engine) parts.

DSC00876.jpg

But I think you are right about it being two seperate pieces. Probably from two different kits.

Think I found the right kit. Check the bumper and grill

Volvo%20F10%20F12%20Globetrotter%20AMT%20Matchbox%20PK-6130.jpg

It's a Volvo F10/F12 Globetrotter Frigoscandia AGA AMT Matchbox PK-6130 from 1981. It has the hole in the middle with the licence plate underneath it.

This site is very helpfull in finding truck kits. It has all truck kits in 1:24 and 1:25 scale.

http://www.eddylenders.nl/homepage modelbouw.htm

6365333163313237.jpg

6134316636323362.jpg

The Revell version looks better

RevellVolvoF12c.jpg

Last edited:
It still astonishes me that ILM could take a load of bits, including display stands, and make such a good looking ship out of it!

Rich

I have to respectfully disagree. I still think the ship looks ugly. It's seven's passion and his and others ability to ID from the crappy pictures available that make this ship bada$$ for me!

Either way, I'm probably gonna follow in seven's footsteps eventually and build one, too. :lol

Damn, Almar, that's a pretty awesome find on the bumper piece! I poured over pictures til my brain was mush with no leads! Thanks for the tip on that site, too! It looks like the chrome AMT bumper is the correct one.

I think I'm gonna try at ID'ing the piece under the bumper. Seven, is that a piece of the P-38 boom? If not, it appears to be a car/truck chassis underneath the booms which hold up the bumber and other mystery piece. just a thought.

Keep truckin' seven!

Here are the Slave One parts that aren't being used (unless someone see's something I have missed)
5454563998_943b20f3a0.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm also starting to wonder if the bottom part of the Slave I skirt was used underneath the two skirt pieces that make up the cockpit instead of a styrene sheet (at least on the bottom half of the cockpit). Modified of course. Besides, both skirt pieces have the same curve to them.

Look at the pic that shows the bottom of the ship. You can somewhat make out the same straight edge portions of the bottom, unused skirt.

The curved part underneath the top half of the cockpit doesn't seem to posses much detail which also made me think styrene sheet at first but I guess the quality of the photos has to be taken into account.

Just another thought.

I'd say the Revell bumper is the right one. It looks right to me... plus I can see a couple of parts from those sprues that are used on the medical frigate so... nice find!!! THANKS!

The bumper doesn't look to be cut, the top side pieces fit in behind the slave part.

Great finds Almar! I look forward to seeing a kit scan of the Volvo truck

I think I'm gonna try at ID'ing the piece under the bumper. Seven, is that a piece of the P-38 boom?

I don't believe so, no. But you can go back and check post No. 71 for pics of the P38 kit to double check.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back