ROTJ ROJ BG Dornean Gunship Kit ID's help

Looking sweet there Seven. Great work so far :thumbsup.

@Cayman, I don't think we've made any errors so far. It's more a confirmation we are on the right track and it reveals more parts we still have to ID.

Thanks Lee and Almar,
This thing is looking uglier and uglier. May be things will change once it gets painted.

I was going back over the length of the ship; being quoted at 90 meters...I think that figure is a bit off. Using the length of the Falcon when it flies almost next to it (see post 142 for scene), I calc the ship to be closer to 60 meters, making the Studio Scale model around 1:124 scale.

Boy oh boy. Seems our Globetrotter is a fantastic donor. Found several new parts.

_DSC1572_resize.jpg

Now about these little parts. There are two different styles in the Volvo kit. I personally think it's #2, because of the little shadow you see in the photo.

_DSC1574_resize.jpg

Rj_bgshippartID9h.jpg

This last ID was a gift. Found it by accident, my eyes just fell on it.

_DSC1575_resize.jpg

_DSC1576_resize.jpg

Again, thanks Scratchy for the wonderful picture!

Last edited:
Awesome Almar! This ship is almost done being ID'd. Couldn't have gotten this far with out your help. Thanks again :thumbsup

Well, I could really use your help with this ID. Think it'll be one off the last ones. To the left is a top view, the right one is from the front/right side.

Rj_bgshippartID9i.jpg

It is in none of the kits used so far (I think).

I need a second opinion on what my eyes are seeing here, or at least, hope they are seeing...

Behind the radar dish, I am seeing the first set of little parts (see post 204 for ref) on top and bottom of the rear axle from the Volvo (the sides would have to be cut off).

I also the motorcycle seat from the 88mm, but I cannot tell if this is just a shadow of the P38L...

thoughts?

That's a very nasty picture you work with.
I'll see if I can post a better one.

HERE YA GO

radardishID.jpg

You might be right about those Volvo parts, I'm seeing it. Only problem, you'll need 2/dish. That means we need another Globetrotter :(

Last edited:
I pulled off the top section on my ship as I wasn't happy with how it looked. I made a new pattern for the base and re-glued all the parts. Now I just need to reattach it to the ship

I also put together one radar dish to see how it looked compared to the ref photos. It looks really good from the side, but I don't think it matches the top and bottom ref yet. hmmm. I am not sure if I am going to get a second Volvo for the left side. I may just do a Hero side with more detail and a non-Hero side with different parts.

Details added to the front via Almars Part ID's. This ship is getting really close to being finished, then comes the paint...

Last edited:
Looking better and better Seven. Adding those greeblies really brings this ugly baby to life :).
I see you have used those two 88mm parts as well. Now I don't know if these are the right parts but they are a close match.
And about that radardish, I've been working on that as well, but I am not 100% convinced. It's a close match when compared to the picture below. But when compared to the top and bottom view..........not really.
There are two transparent parts in the Slave I kit that are domed as well. I think they fit into the Slave I engine. They are a bit smaller but you might wanna check it out.

Here is another picture of the dish from another angle.

radardishIDa.jpg

Well I was eager to get 'er done, so I used what I had on hand to finish up the yet-to-be-identified parts. If any parts are ID'd later down the line, I may or may not switch out what I used.

But she is done as far as the build goes. I slapped the first layer of paint on it. I chose silver so it will be easier to mask off where the paint needs to be "chipped"

Now I need one of those nifty stands Lee and Jason keep getting...:love

Oh, and I added a thruster on the back. Not 100% sure if I like the look yet, but time will tell.

Now I need to get me an airbrush

Last edited:
Hi there,

Excellent detective work, finding the correct kit-components that complete this spacecraft.
And I also wanted to compliment you and Almar on the close collaboration between you to get these ships in the lime-light. Perhaps a used-future look by means of a final weathering paintjob could make this become even more like a Star Wars vehicle.

-Chaim

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back