ROTJ ROJ BG Dornean Gunship Kit ID's help

I think this ship is very interesting. The old fashioned way to make models:)

Most of the parts are recognizable, but what parts they used to make the main body??

It amazes me how you guys can pick out individual kit parts like that.
I never even saw that ship in ROTJ. Will be watching this thread with interest!

I think this ship is very interesting...

At first I found this ship to be quite ugly, but it has started to grow on me

...I never even saw that ship in ROTJ...

It didn't have a big part:)
If you blink while watching ROTJ you might miss it

It is right here:
5446676162_3525301458.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm...would that also be a F1 chassis just forward of the Slave 1 "wings"?

Also, I've been trying to ID the bumper looking part on top of the cockpit. I've looked through quite a few AMT trucks with no luck. Perhaps another brand....?

Joe

ok, the front part of the main hull is a P-38 1/32 from Revell, but I can't identify the rear part of the main hull. Maybe a bolt??

you are right seven, this is an ugly ship for sure, but is being very interesting to discover what kit parts modelers from ILM used to make it!!
I confess I am very curious to know what kit was used in the rear of main hull

ok, the front part of the main hull is a P-38 1/32 from Revell, but I can't identify the rear part of the main hull. Maybe a bolt??

you are right seven, this is an ugly ship for sure, but is being very interesting to discover what kit parts modelers from ILM used to make it!!
I confess I am very curious to know what kit was used in the rear of main hull

It is from the P-38 too. :)
p38.jpg

in post #11 you can see an engine top to a twelve cylinder engine, perhaps from the tamiya 1/12 ferrari 312t.
or from the tamiya 1/20 brabham bt46.

I agree, it definitetly looks like a 12 cylinder engine. I presume that the engine is going to come from the same kit as the parts from pics 3 & 4 from post #1.

5448458914_460b7fdd63.jpg
5447852093_9b46d59a95_m.jpg

It is from the P-38 too

Correct, I noticed that too when I recognized the 'spoon' shape.

Here's another pic of more Slave I

5437368101_c08091c4dd.jpg

Last edited:
The whole slave kit is going to be used on it, eh?! :)

Not entirely :)
Here are the Slave One parts that aren't being used (unless someone see's something I have missed)

So you have two confirmed kits now .
The Slave 1 and the P-38.

I picked up the Revell 1/32 P38 and it is definitely not the right kit. The scale was way too small and the details all wrong. My conclusion is that the kit is from a 1/16 P38. The only one that I could find at that scale is the Guillow's 1/16 P-38L Lightning Balsa #2001.

I picked one up at my local Hobby Store, and I think we have a winner.

The good news is that the main body is all one piece. The bad news is that it is like paper thin vac-u-formed plastic. My first thoughts were :sick

Any ideas about strengthening these parts?

My initial thoughts are, tape the parts together and fill with either expanding foam, quick-cast-resin (to coat the inside with like a rotocast), or just brace the inside with lots of styrene...

Last edited:
Awesome ! So the A-Wing and some parts of the speederbike could be made from big vacformed planes too ?

Anyway, I think that pouring several (thin) coats of resin could work, forget the expanding foam. Another solution would be to make an RTV mold of it to get solid casting...

I'd thought that you were going to reveal, piece by piece, how each of the parts of the slave were used on it. Bummer that it might be the end of that!

Awesome thread! It's ironic, it's usually the oddest looking ships with little amount of screen time becomes a jewel of a model.

I'm taking notes:thumbsup

Any idea if you can also use the Revell Slave 1 easy kit?
I don't think the easy kit is the same tooling as the MPC/AMT

Cut her out and test fitted the parts. The plastic is so thin that it is easy to cut out, but all the more fragile

Looking back at the ref, you can see how the two halves are misaligned

I was searching the Brabham again for and ID on the V12 engine and noticed something...Tell me if I am seeing things or not

Last edited:
Great find on the correct P38 Seven, really good eye! It does open up a lot more avenues in kit usage.
As for the last part, not so sure i see the BT46, same kinda profile, did you also check the Chuchill Croc, part may be too large, not sure, but, same rough outline.

lee

Just behind the S1 wings, there are four rectangular parts, two each side of the upper hull?
Look like Morser Karl to me, same as we used on the back of the 8rad pod.

lee

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back