Deluminator from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

ATL Kenobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here's my attempt at making a working Deluminator from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I had to work with parts I could find, so it's not exactly a perfect replica.
100_2877.JPG

Been working on this since mid-December and it's still a work-in-progress. I have to machine (route) a slot in the body to accept the slide that actuates the mechanism.
attachment.php

View attachment 44282

ATL

Last edited:
I found an old perfume Bottle in an Estate Store That looks just like this thing but the guy wants 1000.00 for it so I will just have to be happy visiting it at the store for now. It was a nice blue crystal I could have sworn it was right out of the movie I guess we know where they got the prop from...

The part I’d consider the most difficult to find would be the hinged lid, and although it does resemble a salt shaker top, what I used is the top from an antique perfume bottle. It was purchased from a perfume bottle collector. Since I only had the one cap, and 2 are required, I made the 2nd one out of wood and painted it.
Cap machining.JPG
I’d like to find another loose bottle top, but they’re few and far between.

Since I have no way of working stone or glass and no experience casting resins, I initially was going to make the body out of wood and apply a faux marble finishing using a Marbelizing Kit. Unfortunately, that kit has been discontinued. I then came across these Green Pen blank. To make the body large enough, I ended up buying four of these and gluing them together.
body routing.JPG
I used 22 ½ and 45 degree router bits to make it octagonal and to cut little facets on the ends. This malachite pen blank may be better, but wasn’t available locally.

The third part I had to find before starting was the little bell shaped part. I initially considered one those ends that come on cheap light fixture pull chains, but then started looking for a small silver charm and then came across these Craft bells. The gold finish was removed using oven cleaner.

The rest of the parts are a combination of stainless steel, brass and aluminum tubing, .032 aluminum sheet, and .039 piano wire for the hinge pins all from an ACE hardware store.

ATL

Last edited:
Thanks PHArchivist!

attachment.php

View attachment 45556

I finally finished my deluminator (on right). I used a piece of 3/16" square aluminum bar for the slide.

The prop 2nd from the right is my static (non-moving) deluminator as I believe used in Deathly Hallows 1. It's an antique double cobalt scent bottle with a piece of aluminum bar stuck to the side of it. :)

Also pictured is my mini-deluminator :rolleyes, my Veritaserum bottle, and the parchment memory-vial label to be affixed to the vial sometime soon.

ATL

Last edited:
The part I’d consider the most difficult to find would be the hinged lid, and although it does resemble a salt shaker top, what I used is the top from an antique perfume bottle. It was purchased from a perfume bottle collector. Since I only had the one cap, and 2 are required, I made the 2nd one out wood and painted it.
attachment.php

View attachment 44328
I’d like to find another loose bottle top, but they’re few and far between.

Since I have no way of working stone or glass and no experience casting resins, I initially was going to make the body out of wood and apply a faux marble finishing using a Marbelizing Kit. Unfortunately, that kit has been discontinued. I then came across these Green Pen blank. To make the body large enough, I ended up buying four of these and gluing them together.
attachment.php

View attachment 44329
I used 22 ½ and 45 degree router bits to make it octagonal and to cut little facets on the ends. This malachite pen blank may be better, but wasn’t available locally.

The third part I had to find before starting was the little bell shaped part. I initially considered one those ends that come on cheap light fixture pull chains, but then started looking for a small silver charm and then came across these Craft bells. The gold finish was removed using oven cleaner.

The rest of the parts are a combination of stainless steel, brass and aluminum tubing, .032 aluminum sheet, and .039 piano wire for the hinge pins all from an ACE hardware store.

ATL

WOW! that Deluminator looks AWSOME!!
Do you consider making a tutorial?
Or just some steps?
Really brilliant!:thumbsup

WOW! that Deluminator looks AWSOME!!
Do you consider making a tutorial?
Or just some steps?
Really brilliant!:thumbsup

Here's the center shaft.. I used a "V" shaped block to center the 3/8" stainless steel tube on my drill press. I temporarily attached an octagonal piece of wood to the other end of the tube as an index. I drilled eight 3/32" holes around the top, two 0.040" holes for the top pivot, and a 0.070" hole which was tapped 2-56 for the slide.
attachment.php

View attachment 45955

I made the little arm out of 0.030" aluminum. I drilled two 0.040" holes 0.42" apart and then glued on a 1 for 1 scaled paper template. I then cut out the aluminum using a pair of scissors and a nibbling tool.
attachment.php

View attachment 45956

The fixed pivot was made out of 1/16" square brass tubing. I drilled a 0.040" hole through the end, put a small bend in it, clamped it in a vise, and cut a slot using a razor saw. The tubing was cut to length and soldered to the inside of a 5/8" diameter piece of brass tubing. (This tube fit into a 5/8" hole in the end of the green body, and the flip top cap fit over it.) I then used a Caswell Plug in Plate to nickel plate it.
attachment.php

View attachment 45957

The "shaft" for the bell was made of 3/32" aluminum tubing. I slotted one end and smashed the other drilling 0.040" holes in each end. A small slot was also needed in the bell. I used 0.039" piano wire for the pins. I dripped candle wax on the pieces to hold it all together and filled the bell with a silver colored epoxy.
attachment.php

View attachment 45958

Suprisingly it all fit together :lol. These are the dimensions I used which were based on the piece parts that I found.
attachment.php

View attachment 45959

Hope this helps.

ATL

This is awesome! I want one now! ;) Does it work (like move when the handle is slid up?)

Yes - I don't have the technology to post one of those short video clips, but once the cap is opened, as the handle slides up, the "mechanism" comes out the top. Pushing the handle back then retracts it. The cap is then manually closed, or it can be flipped back as Dumbledore does in the movie.

ATL

Here's the center shaft.. I used a "V" shaped block to center the 3/8" stainless steel tube on my drill press. I temporarily attached an octagonal piece of wood to the other end of the tube as an index. I drilled eight 3/32" holes around the top, two 0.040" holes for the top pivot, and a 0.070" hole which was tapped 2-56 for the slide.
attachment.php

View attachment 45955

I made the little arm out of 0.030" aluminum. I drilled two 0.040" holes 0.42" apart and then glued on a 1 for 1 scaled paper template. I then cut out the aluminum using a pair of scissors and a nibbling tool.
attachment.php

View attachment 45956

The fixed pivot was made out of 1/16" square brass tubing. I drilled a 0.040" hole through the end, put a small bend in it, clamped it in a vise, and cut a slot using a razor saw. The tubing was cut to length and soldered to the inside of a 5/8" diameter piece of brass tubing. (This tube fit into a 5/8" hole in the end of the green body, and the flip top cap fit over it.) I then used a Caswell Plug in Plate to nickel plate it.
attachment.php

View attachment 45957

The "shaft" for the bell was made of 3/32" aluminum tubing. I slotted one end and smashed the other drilling 0.040" holes in each end. A small slot was also needed in the bell. I used 0.039" piano wire for the pins. I dripped candle wax on the pieces to hold it all together and filled the bell with a silver colored epoxy.
attachment.php

View attachment 45958

Suprisingly it all fit together :lol. These are the dimensions I used which were based on the piece parts that I found.
attachment.php

View attachment 45959

Hope this helps.

ATL

Massive thanks for all the instructions!!
It's a brilliant deluminator! :)

Yes - I don't have the technology to post one of those short video clips, but once the cap is opened, as the handle slides up, the "mechanism" comes out the top. Pushing the handle back then retracts it. The cap is then manually closed, or it can be flipped back as Dumbledore does in the movie.

ATL

Just found this on the internet and it seems like the Noble Collection is going to make the Deluminator! It'll ship in August!

The Noble Collection: Deluminator

Wow that is very very nice indeed. I tried machining one out of aluminum. heres what I got so far and I have to go back and redo the hinge and still drill the cylinder and make a bell cap for the inside. I may paint it but not sure yet
Still allot of palishing around the hinge yet to do.
No where near as nice as yours though.

DSC02763.JPG

DSC02764.JPG

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back