The MOM Vader Shroud... help? ideas? a plan?

NeoRutty

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have had this going for a while...

14159875489_3b8bc84669_c.jpg

This poor, unfinished saber...I nice collection of parts with a few missing. I'm sure I can get the valve, and I may be able to find someone for the emmiter,

11071836146_8165f6a2c7.jpg

11071258835_efc0398fa6.jpg

but the shroud is my BANE!

11071368894_e686da394c.jpg

now I know there are tons of people who have a version of this saber, and maybe someone out there knows of a place to get a shroud... I figured I'd thread it up and see if someone has info for me.

I've had a thread in the junkyard forever... maybe someone who never looks there has an idea... seems all the best luck I've had with finding missing parts has been through discussions in the regular forum...

I've had it suggested in the past about 3d printed version, but I've only seen inaccurate, simple models, and to have to done in a metal is crazy expensive... which wouldn't be so bad if I knew for SURE it would look right.

Suggestions, leads... I'm all ears!

Since I know you have several versions of this ROTJ saber could you not make a mold of another shroud and cast it in metal? Also I like the metal shroud on my Graflex Reborn ROTJ a lot better then the kit version ...although later versions of ObiKenny's Kit look a lot better. My graflex ROTJ is still in the same state as yours ...

Chaim

I was looking at casting the other one I have in metal, talking to a guy that does Motorcycle parts that are no longer available, but I wonder if the subtleties like where the pins are holding the two parts together would come out well. Not sure if this would end up costing a fortune, but it's my current, sorta option right now.

Though now that I think about it, are those even on the actual saber? Maybe I'm assuming... *Edit* ah yes they are...

I think I have the same shroud as on your reborn, but I couldn't actually get it onto my graflex top. Too small.

I never took that shroud off so I don't know if it doesn't fit a real graflex ... if you make some measurements and perhaps a drawing of yours then others here could make a 3D model to be printed in metal and perhaps cleaned up a little? Oh ... and don't make it real, make it believable ;)

Chaim

It looks like my best bet for finishing this off now is to have a guy at work build a 3d model and then have it printed...

But if anyone else out there has one lying around that they're not using.... I have a home for it!

Or I wait and see if Roy covers it....

hmmmm...

My Graflex Reborn shroud resembles the original, as seen here, the most ... :

Kenny's shroud, in my opinion, was just a bit to symmetric and less round :

. . . then again I compare stuff with only photographs, shot under poor lighting
conditions, which may alter my perception of what I see and what's really there.

:)

Chaim

yeah I see what you mean... If I get it done in 3D printing... I will use that shot as reference.

When I grabbed these spare parts, I thought the shroud would be no problem... I saw 2 different ones in the junkyard previously... and then none in over a year now....

Any updates for this saber project NeoRutty? I was made aware by member elr02k that this particular saber may gather some new interest now that it has made another appearance in the new Battlefront game ;)

Chaim

Well other than putting on the replica kobold d-ring, these are just sitting in a little box on my shelf... still no shroud!

I was thinking since I have a shroud on my other saber (the kit one) I may use that old tutorial and make it by scratch... But I know the SECOND I do, there will be a run of parts. So I'm just being patient.

However, I love this saber so much, I think if there were another run, I'd likely do one up on a Roman's saber, just to have a pristine one... or try my hand at electronics on it.

But yeah... still just a bunch of parts... waiting for a shroud, emmiter, and the little nob for the glass eye replacement.

I was on Shapeways a few days ago and saw Vader shrouds for both the MPP and MoM. No idea of size/quality/price, but you might browse Shapeways for parts.

One's mine...I did the ROTJ shield in a thread here with some input from Sym-cha IIRC. Never did the MOM though.

I was on Shapeways a few days ago and saw Vader shrouds for both the MPP and MoM. No idea of size/quality/price, but you might browse Shapeways for parts.

Yeah the ones online are certainly usable if not completely accurate... but it would cost A LOT with shipping and exchange.

Just gonna wait it out.

If it helps, It would appear the saber has the upper half of the bulb socket and a solid cylinder of aluminum underneath that. The blade runs through the socket and the chunk of aluminum extends at least to the clamp area, given the hex bolts. If you end up doing that you wouldn't need the nuts inside...but now I sound crazy :lol

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 4.35.30 PM.pngBrevin-Vader-ROTJ-3b.jpgLFA_DVROTJ_emitter_ls.jpg

If it helps, It would appear the saber has the upper half of the bulb socket and a solid cylinder of aluminum underneath that. The blade runs through the socket and the chunk of aluminum extends at least to the clamp area, given the hex bolts. If you end up doing that you wouldn't need the nuts inside...but now I sound crazy :lol

View attachment 602296View attachment 602297View attachment 602308

Ha ha... I had to read that 4 times to understand what you mean... got it now though.

NEVER noticed that before... I don't think Kurtyboy knows this bit... I believe he has plastic tubing up against that eye socket piece.
kurtyboy - Is this how you grab a members attention?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the ones online are certainly usable if not completely accurate... but it would cost A LOT with shipping and exchange.

Just gonna wait it out.

Mine's $16 in plastic and $100 in stainless. But if you wanna go nuts, in 14k gold it's $10k and $30k platinum :)

Mine's $16 in plastic and $100 in stainless. But if you wanna go nuts, in 14k gold it's $10k and $30k platinum :)

I just recently had checked and your shroud didn't come up.

That's WAY closer to the ones that I was looking at.

hm. I'll have to think about this...

The shop:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/jcshapeshop

The shroud:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WXTAMW7WA/vader-e6-shroud?li=shop-results&optionId=59192855

- - - Updated - - -

I just recently had checked and your shroud didn't come up.

That's WAY closer to the ones that I was looking at.

hm. I'll have to think about this...

Yeah, i've noticed that. I searched my own stuff using the exact title and sometimes they don't show for me. Doesn't make sense. If I search Mag Cylinders and i have a Mag Power Cylinders, it should show in the search long before stuff with none of those words in it do, but from time to time, it doesn't. They need a much better search.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back