MODEL FINISHED!!! Official Photoshoot Zvezda Star Destroyer

mine is insignia white also
i lit it with a halogen work lamp for the pics
worked a treat and cast nice shadows also.
love the pencil work...i tried it but i have to much paint on it for the pencil to stay in the groves .....doh

Nice work sir....Lighting and camera settings make a HUGE difference to any picture.

I actually finished my X-Wing and I'm in the process of toting it around town to take final photos outdoors and then inside to create some studio pic's.

I didn't try to recreate every single characteristic of the ship's battle damage, dirt, dust, etc. I did an interpretation of what I wanted.....which was a mix between the ILM model, movie stills, and wait for it.....whatever the hell I decided to do ! Haha, I'll sleep at night, even if a few SW "purists" don't like what I did.

I'll be posting that finals soon.....then on to the next project !

Scarecrow Joe
I won't bullcrap you. I love your build and can appreciate the days and hours you invested in creating this beast. Your B/W photos on the link are awesome!
i've worked with fiber optics a bit and can imagine what that looks like under the hood. Just for your personal sanity, I'd not ask for crits anymore.
You were critical enough of your own work when you built this magnificent monster and it shows! Blue lights were artistic license.

Tommie

I haven't photographed a fiber optic lit model, but the photos may look better if you take separate photos exposed correctly for the ship and the lights then combine them. I think they had even more shots combined in the films.

Trying to expose for a whitish ship and the lights at the same time may not work very well. I think that contributed to the ship looking too dark in the photos.

The model looks very good from what I can tell. I don't think the photos are doing it justice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Combining exposures was another thing I considered. Its becoming equally difficult to take good images of it! LOL! Funny thing is how bad some of these photographers posted here are and still get the unconditional post of approval....its rather frustrating. But as someone said here maybe its time to stop preoccupying more about my own critical view (which is very critical!) than what some Mr How smart I am has to say. Specially with someone without virtually ANY build thread here. Im motivated to make this thing justice, its the least I could do after so many hours of drilling!! LOL!

Some of the lack of posts may be just timing. There have been several other SD threads. There isn't as much difference between SD builds compared to other models like x wings where there is more opportunity to make color and wheathering choices. Unfortunately even with a whole lot of work, it's hard to make a SD model stand out when others have already been done and posted. Is there anything unique about yours? I can see you put in effort to add the FO and garbage shute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well its a tough crowd. I hoped it would have been more popular. What could have been better? I really pour my guts into this model...LOL! Anyways....thanks for looking guys!

I think you did a great job from the pics I have seen.

There are a lot of factors as to why people don't post. Sometimes it is the flood of similar subjects. Sometimes it is timing (for example, this weekend was Easter so a lot of people are probably not as active on the boards.) Some people prefer looking, but not commenting. It doesn't mean they didn't like it.

Don't let that stuff discourage you

On the other hand be careful when asking for comments and criticism. When I was working on getting my BFA, virtually every class had a critique aspect. While it may sound negative you can learn from what others say, both good and bad. It's tough to not take it personally.

Honestly, if there is something that people find fault with, I'd rather know about it so I can improve on it.

In this case it seems to have pushed you to discover the white balance issue.

As far as lighting color choice. You chose blue. Others prefer the white since that is more like they see in the studio models. it's just personal preference in that case. It doesn't have to mean that your work wasn't good

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back