Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I found this to be a bit interesting ... It starts out sounding like a whining commentary and I would not disagree with those who think he speaks in an annoying way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGVqPP-52No
The thing is, by using those little bits of connective tissue, it came off like a fan film that was doing as much as possible without getting sued. Especially with that main theme.

It simply could have opened with the theme, the crawl and everyone would have been fine. Instead, a lot of us found it to be irksome.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How interested would be people be if they followed the same formula as Rogue One and made prequels for TESB and RotJ? E.g. 'Imperial troops have driven rebel forces from their secret base and pursued them across the galaxy' and then a re-telling of 'Many Bothans died to bring us this information' line. Both stories have been told in the EU (comics, video games and novels) but that didn't stop them from coming up with a new story for R1. How would y'all react if they announced stand-alones based on those short snippets?

Well if R1 wasn't your thing. Be happy, there won't be any more right?
For those of us that found the new trilogy kickoff to not be our thing, we have to wait out TWO more. Ugh.
And then hope that a trilogy after that still happens and they start fresh.
If you had the keys to the franchise what would you do? I still dont understand how people didnt like TFA. So thats why Im asking.

Me personally? I would adapt the Timothy Zahn(sp) trilogy, then call it a day. I dont think this "saga" should go on indefinitely.

Last edited:
If you had the keys to the franchise what would you do? I still dont understand how people didnt like TFA. So thats why Im asking.

Me personally? I would adapt the Timothy Zahn(sp) trilogy personally, then call it a day. I dont think this "saga" should go on indefinitely.

But we all know it will. Disney didn't spend $4 billion for the property to put it on a shelf.

Me personally? I would adapt the Timothy Zahn(sp) trilogy personally, then call it a day. I dont think this "saga" should go on indefinitely.

I thinnk every Thing has a breaking point. nothing should go on forever. and that's why I'm personally growing tired of reboots, because most of the time it's nothing but retelling the same story over and over again, less spectacularly each time. And each generation gets less good at telling stories to boot, because they are exposed to less originality.

this entire movie should have been called ''Memba them?'

...'Imperial troops have driven rebel forces from their secret base and pursued them across the galaxy'...

I've thought for a long time that this would make a good stand alone film. But the next line of the crawl presents a problem: 'A group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new base...'. This would require the big three OT heroes, and that ain't happenin' today without recasting.

...I still dont understand how people didnt like TFA...

I still don't understand how people don't like R1 ;)

How interested would be people be if they followed the same formula as Rogue One and made prequels for TESB and RotJ? E.g. 'Imperial troops have driven rebel forces from their secret base and pursued them across the galaxy' and then a re-telling of 'Many Bothans died to bring us this information' line. Both stories have been told in the EU (comics, video games and novels) but that didn't stop them from coming up with a new story for R1. How would y'all react if they announced stand-alones based on those short snippets?

you don't NEED a full movie to explore what is essentially a short exposition sentence.

that's why the entire story of a movie could be summed up in under 10 words.

they could also do a story based on hans 'that bounty hunter at ord mantel changed my mind' or any other various comments made.

it takes away some of the mystery and fun too if it's all explained out.

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't understand how people don't like R1 ;)

not to be a repetitive nelly (cue posters who like to point that out ;o) )...

I think TFA just felt more like star wars..even with it's own set of goofy problems and creative direction I didn't like or care for.
R1 just felt like a lazy boring call back of stuff we've all seen before, just set in new locations and characters with different names, same personalities.

I think that a movie between ANH and ESB could follow a separate band of rebels, without necessarily bringing in main characters (maybe in the background, or like one or two like R1 did with Tarkin and Leia.) I would love to see a cameo of young Luke, voiced by Hamill of course... actually just now picturing that I would REALLY love to see that. Even if the CG was questionable, it still sounds like so much fun (especially because of Hamill's solid national-treasure status)

Personally I am 100% on board with the idea of making two more movies to turn Rogue One into a sort of shadow trilogy.

you don't NEED a full movie to explore what is essentially a short exposition sentence.

that's why the entire story of a movie could be summed up in under 10 words...

You can say the same about any movie ;) We don't need any of them, they're just for fun.

...they could also do a story based on hans 'that bounty hunter at ord mantel changed my mind' or any other various comments made...

Yes they could, but it doesn't sound as fun. (Actually that could be part of the new base thing, not enough there to fill a whole film.)

I've gone through my problems with TFA, but I still at least like Rey's story if nothing else. Some folks call R1 a fan film, but that's how TFA felt to me. My only problem with R1 was the stupid bit with the cantina guys (I refuse to call that guy Dr. anything. He's no doctor, just a punk who picked one bar fight too many), but it's a few seconds that's easy to overlook.

Last edited:
Here's my (one of) biggest issue with Disney Wars. They are trying to fill in the blanks as fast as possible. They should be telling other stories and then use those other stories to pepper in info about things we already know about.

Look at rebels. They've already finished off the Maul tale, we've seen Vader confront Ashoka and Obi-wan has had his final showdown with maul. We've seen the invention of the B-wing, the acquisition of the A-wings and we know how Wedge joined the rebellion.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that shield generator they stole was supposed to be the one they used on Hoth.

It's not that we don't want to see all that, it's just that they are using it as the entire basis for having a show. Do we want to see Maul confront Kenobi? Hell yes. Is rebels the right place for that? Nope...not at all. Not the show that people keep defending as "a kids show"

Why couldn't they wait? Maybe on the next animated series? Of a standalone straight to Home animated movie?

They could have done Rogue one in ten years and it actually would have felt like a special film. Right now the're just eating everything lucas left on his plate.

Disney needs to water the garden a bit more before they harvest the biggest fruit.

Watched it last night.
I liked it.
It looked like Star Wars, sounded like Star Wars, smelled like Star Wars...
As cool as the story was, though, there were too many jarring moments of member-berries/fan-service for my taste.
All of those could have been excluded and it would have been a better movie for it.
I liked seeing and recognizing Gold Leader.
I did not like having Pig-nose and Butt-mouth shoved in my face.
Donnie Yen was an excellent addition to the world of Star Wars. I was opposed to the idea at first, but he really pulled it off.
Darth Vader lives in an "eye-of-sauron" castle on a lava planet? Really?...
Tarkin was animated really well, but I still could tell it was animation.
Leia looked just awful. They could have just given us a shot of her from behind and that would have sold it better.
I liked the movie quite a bit, but it would have been much better without all the groan-inducing fan-service.

They could have done Rogue one in ten years and it actually would have felt like a special film. Right now the're just eating everything lucas left on his plate. .

because no one is as creative these days as lucas or speilburg where in their prime, and NO ONE wants to take chances on un proven ideas.

that's why all we've gotten are safe, untrying call backs to stuff that is familair and they know has a chance of even half working.

and STILL they can't get it right the first time. hence R1 reshoots.

probably would have done the same on TFA's if JJ wasn't as big as he was.

because no one is as creative these days as lucas or speilburg where in their prime, and NO ONE wants to take chances on un proven ideas.

that's why all we've gotten are safe, untrying call backs to stuff that is familair and they know has a chance of even half working.

and STILL they can't get it right the first time. hence R1 reshoots.

probably would have done the same on TFA's if JJ wasn't as big as he was.

Whenever I think of stories having a unified universe, I always go back to the stargate tv franchise. They had like, 17 seasons and pulled it off. They knew how avoid getting backed into a corner and they knew when it was time to go back and revisit an earlier story thread. They knew when stories should overlap and the knew how to create stories that were both episodic AND serialized at the same time. And they knew the valuse of creating a bigger universe. Star trek couldn't even get this all right.

you also had the star trek universe doing it first. having picard in the deep space nine pilot and having the two shows interact was amazingly fun!

now adays it's expected for things to interact and it feels forced most of the time cause no one has the vision to do it right.

also regarding turning throw away lines into entire movies.

would you ever want the 'Noodle incident' in calvin and hobbes explained? no...it takes away from not only the joke, but your imagination on what the joke is ;o)

I bet George Lucas is sat somewhere comfy with all his billions, after a day of doing great and good deeds for many ,and thinks "I'll just have a peak and see what the real fans of Star Wars are all talking about these days". He goes ,looks, and then when a quiet and slightly sad chuckle says, "You know I do believe I'm well out of that."

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back