Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

I will take a real actor over those CG monstrosities any day. Literally splicing in 30 random minutes of puppy abortions would have been less tonally jarring than the CG "humans" in R1.

But I'm pretty firmly back in the "a Han Solo movie is pointless crap nostalgia stroking" camp after R1.

That's a flat load. Sorry, but 99% of people would never have noticed if they didn't know that he had been dead 20 years. THAT was the give away. Not anything on the screen. Knowing he's dead you immediately scrutinize it and come the conclusion it was digital because it couldn't be done any other way. I do this stuff myself and it blew me away what they were able to accomplish. Saying it's crap is nothing but a slap in the face to those who've ever done any character work. You won't see anything better than that for nearly 5-10 years i'd wager. Faster and maybe more of it, yes, but not better.

I told my boss it was digital today and he was floored. He had no clue. That's because he had no clue that the guy was dead.

That's a flat load. Sorry, but 99% of people would never have noticed if they didn't know that he had been dead 20 years. THAT was the give away. Not anything on the screen. Knowing he's dead you immediately scrutinize it and come the conclusion it was digital because it couldn't be done any other way. I do this stuff myself and it blew me away what they were able to accomplish. Saying it's crap is nothing but a slap in the face to those who've ever done any character work. You won't see anything better than that for nearly 5-10 years i'd wager. Faster and maybe more of it, yes, but not better.

I told my boss it was digital today and he was floored. He had no clue. That's because he had no clue that the guy was dead.

EDIT: drunk post, sorry for the aggressively awful tone.

Last edited:

People who can't tell Tarkin is digital are the average movie goer who texts through half the film, asks what's going on every three minutes, then gets emotional when stuff blows up. Not to be snobby, but if you couldn't tell something was janky with Tarkin you're an idiot, or blind, or a blind idiot.

Edit: No, **** it, I'll be snobby. The average viewer is a philistine. Hey average viewer: take a film course you braying, Transformers-watching donkey.
You're not being snobby, you're being arrogant... and well, other impolite bits. I've talked to a few people, intelligent, rational people that had no clue that Tarkin was CG (and had their phones safely tucked away). You don't need to take a film class to enjoy a film - and even if you have, you can still buy into movie making "magic."

Lighten up, Francis. There's more to life than being an uptight judgementalist.

I don't think I want to see Solo getting "mentored". Jeezus sounds like my work or something at review time.
He figured it out for himself. Maybe this Solo will be too much a greenhorn for me. Damn I hope not.

You're not being snobby, you're being arrogant... and well, other impolite bits. I've talked to a few people, intelligent, rational people that had no clue that Tarkin was CG (and had their phones safely tucked away). You don't need to take a film class to enjoy a film - and even if you have, you can still buy into movie making "magic."

Lighten up, Francis. There's more to life than being an uptight judgementalist.

I was fairly hammered when I posted that, sorry :(

People who can't tell Tarkin is digital are the average movie goer who texts through half the film, asks what's going on every three minutes, then gets emotional when stuff blows up. Not to be snobby, but if you couldn't tell something was janky with Tarkin you're an idiot, or blind, or a blind idiot.

Edit: No, **** it, I'll be snobby. The average viewer is a philistine. Hey average viewer: take a film course you braying, Transformers-watching donkey.

My wife didn't realize he was CGI. Would you say that to my wife?

My wife didn't realize he was CGI. Would you say that to my wife?

Good grief, the faux outrage! SMH The guy apologized for posting drunk, get off his back.

But while his tone was off, he was essentially right. Most moviegoers are philistines. Most people are philistines. That's why Winston Churchill said, "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.".

As for your wife--I'll call her Delilah, the only actual Philistine I've ever heard of--I'd need more examples of her ignorance to say for sure if she's a philistine.

The Wook

My wife had no idea it was CGI for either Tarkin or Leia:rolleyes Only people, like me, with trained eyes (50 years + experience) will see the diff between real and...magic.
Not to say that she's a Philistine, just that certain people don't have the knowledge about a particular segment of life is, to a certain extend, fun to see (#innocence). I see a movie with other eyes than the average person: foreground, ground and background action/sets/extras/costumes/special FX/ lighting/continuity/etc...
She's looking at a movie, that's the real difference.

My wife had no idea it was CGI for either Tarkin or Leia:rolleyes

Joberg, you are a huge Star Wars fan! How is possible your wife didn't pick up on the fact that Carrie Fisher hadn't aged a day in 40 years?! I get Tarken, but Princess Leia?!?

The Wook

I know full-well that Cushing has been dead for over 20 years, and I ABHOR cg. It's one of the main reasons that I simply don't go to movies anymore. Maybe a few times a year. That said, I was quite taken aback by Tarkin. Yes, there were tells, but my God, he was as perfect as I think I've seen. I think the lighting in each scene helped to sell it. He's seen mostly in more dimly lit environs without tons of bright lighting. Every time he was on screen I was amazed. He made it Star Wars for me. The performance and nuances were fantastic. Put me right back into 1977. Leia looked off to me, far more obvious than Tarkin. And, while imperfect, I am still mesmerized by what they did with Tarkin.

My only thought really on the whole thing would have been to get someone who could really mimic his voice, but I'm truly not complaining.

Joberg, you are a huge Star Wars fan! How is possible your wife didn't pick up on the fact that Carrie Fisher hadn't aged a day in 40 years?! I get Tarken, but Princess Leia?!?

The Wook
Says the guy who can't spell Tarkin correctly. :rolleyes

No big deal just Han Solo talking to Han Solo about being Han Solo.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 112

I think that picture is all the "mentoring" I want to see.
Though Solo got a bit goofier by ROTJ I've often thought.
I hope they don't go that direction. I don't think they will.

I said this pages and pages ago but will say agian. There is a very real possibility this film will be a huge amount of fun.

On the one hand: I'm really NOT enthused about the idea of Solo having had a mentor, and even LESS enthused about that mentor apparently being Woody Harrelson?!

On the other, they did a solid job with Rogue One, so while I'm really not that interested right now, I could be convinced to go see it. Even so...my general instinct is "Look, let's just leave Han alone and figure that his backstory is a mystery mostly. I'm fine with that. Can we tell some other stories about other people now?"

I know The Wook, but the wife thought that it was some unused scene from the first StarWars that uncle Georges never used:rolleyes...as for Woody Harrelson, I have a name for his character in the new stand alone Han Solo movie: Doobie-One-Kenobi:D

...my general instinct is "Look, let's just leave Han alone and figure that his backstory is a mystery mostly. I'm fine with that. Can we tell some other stories about other people now?"

Like about this guy.

Willrow-hood.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back