The Martian Space Suit

Hey everyone. I have been lurking around the RPFs for a while and never joined. I have been following the work you all are putting into this space suit and everything looks amazing so far. With the new trailer I saw a few items that might be of interest and grabbed a few screenshots of what I saw.

glove1.pngglove2.png
A couple close ups of the gloves showing some detail on the back and thumbs.

helmet light.png
A close up of the external helmet lights. Almost looks like a rangefinder or a knock off handycam.

inside helmet.png
I hope the detail shows up but in the second trailer there is a single frame that shows some writing inside the helmet. Can't tell if it's a strap or something else. Says something like "051803/p.27.27s/015" and then it says "Mode:SNIPER"

Hope this stuff helps and look forward to "lurking" some more.

Attachments

• helmet side.png
    helmet side.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
I'm back researching the gloves. I'm finding gloves with a close palm, but wrong reverse side. And vise-versa. The palm is a non-slip grip. From riding gloves, to smartphone gloves, to work gloves, can't seem to find it. We could always try kitbashing two different pairs of gloves together, but this would be challenging due to size issues.

They could be some sort of tactical glove, there's tons of them out these days in a lot of of different styles. I'd also look up motorcycle riding gloves and mechanic's gloves too, they also have similar features to tactical gloves and could be the base glove used.

Hi,

Just finished going through this thread and wow, you guys have done your homework. Great job. I didn't see anyone post about this yet so figured I'd put the link out, there are 2 version of the Blue Coolshirt on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Shirt-2C...440175646&sr=1-1&keywords=Cool+Shirt+2CW+Blue

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Shirt-BCW-M-Medium-Water/dp/B006UGW77M

Waiting till my next paycheck to pick up the 2CW so please don't you guys go buying all of them. Also just started looking for the harness, crossing my fingers I can find one on ebay.

Oh and I definitely think that the objects on the side of the helmet are modified camera that double as lights, would make sense to have things that would server a dual function and have 2 because well NASA loves redundancy. I found this Ricoh camera that seems to have the same fixture/hood on the lens.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00NLJ3PAE/uncrate-20

I'm guessing if it were actually functional the silver dial on the side would be a button to start recording or turn on the lights ( if they just didn't already automatically turn on ).

Anyways, just my two cents.

Oh I may have missed it but any updates on a group buy for the fabric of the suit?

This thread is awesome! I've been lurking these forums for a few years and finally made an account.

On that note, of course I have a question. Has anybody sourced that carabiner / spring link used to hold the webbing onto the D-Ring? I've been browsing Amazon and various climbing gear related sites for about two hours straight now. I can't find anything similar.

Still working on the "circuitry" pattern.

Just a note in case you may not be aware (with your level of detail, I bet you already knew) the "circuitry" pattern that appears on the suit is based on NASA / MIT's "bio suit" pattern.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sites/default/files/media/2007/12/26/59e612c7b9_ltpmarssuit12262007.jpg

Would appreciate if I could sign up for enough fabrics for a medium sized suit. Also is there any good reference to how it looks underneath the chest and back plates?
And what material is the black neck thing and the parts right under the shoulders connecting the arms?

the-martian-movie-matt-damon.jpgthe-martian-movie-matt-damon-312.jpg

Would appreciate if I could sign up for enough fabrics for a medium sized suit. Also is there any good reference to how it looks underneath the chest and back plates?
And what material is the black neck thing and the parts right under the shoulders connecting the arms?

View attachment 518696View attachment 518697

The neck is a rubber neck seal. I could do a run of those if there's enough interest.

I noticed the Hermes space suit in the background of one of the Ares Live videos pictured here with the iconic octagonal hallway. The suit seems to be using the same lights on the sides of the helmet.

https://youtu.be/CumZP6_9sHU
Screenshot 2015-08-24 14.25.13.png

The Hermes also seems to be using a Warthog flight stick, although this isn't relevant to the suit I thought it was fun to notice.
Screenshot 2015-08-24 14.23.33.png

Regarding the shovels, I noticed another shovel in my previous picture and from rewatching the trailer where he's creating the lines in the dirt inside the HAB which looks like a sharp point shovel and the handle is orange. I have no idea what shovel it is though.

Thought I would post some collages I made of screengrabs from the trailers. Some good reference for everybody - specifically of the armor pieces (I count 10 total) and the underside of the arms,ect.

martian_refs_1.jpg
martian_refs_2.jpg
martiangloves.jpg

Oh! And for the member asking for a good picture of the suit underneath the armor/gear:

Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 6.28.57 PM copy.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back