The Martian Space Suit

It's also a matter of narative storytelling. The helmet cams are an important aspect of the plot. They need to be familiar so modern audience's connect with them visually and also be large enough to be treated like usuable objects later in the story.

Tiny imbedded nano cameras would make more sense logically but just wouldn't work for the story that needs to be told.

It's also a matter of narative storytelling. The helmet cams are an important aspect of the plot. They need to be familiar so modern audience's connect with them visually and also be large enough to be treated like usuable objects later in the story.

Tiny imbedded nano cameras would make more sense logically but just wouldn't work for the story that needs to be told.
also he has to use the cameras later in the story

watney%20stats.jpg

While this might not be important to the details of the suit (unless you want to get the same cooling shirt) I found it kind of neat.

In this photo we see the crew wearing cooling shirts that pumps cold water trough hoses in the shirt to keep oneself cool. It seems to be a shirt from CoolShirt
attachment.php

The shirt connects to a base station trough a hose. Here we can see that the connector for the space suit seems to be a match.
attachment.php

This means that between takes Matt can just hook up his suit to this thing to get cool water flowing and preventing him from overheating in the warm desert climate.
attachment.php

Speaking of cooling, have any of you given it any thought or have experience with it? I guess you can hide some fans and such in the backpack.

Attachments

• 2015-08-06-02_26_55-Greenshot.jpg
    2015-08-06-02_26_55-Greenshot.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2,563
  • 2015-08-06-02_32_37-Greenshot.jpg
    2015-08-06-02_32_37-Greenshot.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 2,557
  • 2015-08-06-02_36_50-Greenshot.jpg
    2015-08-06-02_36_50-Greenshot.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,496
Yeah, they're definitely the Cool Shirt. The blue ones are harder to find than the white and black ones. I think that the blue ones may be discontinued, but some places still have them in stock. I haven't worn one yet, but my understanding is that wearing them underneath the suits helps with the comfort dramatically.

I've been looking at shoes for hours now and here's what I got so far:

They're not really shoes or boots at all! The closest term I've found to describe it are these "overshoe sandals".
attachment.php

It's something you strap over a normal shoe or wear like a sandal.

attachment.php

Here you can clearly see the straps that hold it to the foot, and that the "shoe" is actually the same dashed pattern and fabric as the rest of the suit. So it's either a sock of the same material or the feet are part of the jumpsuit?

Now if you look at them from underneath the straps makes more sense.
attachment.php

They probably had to replace the black straps that hold them in place a few times because they don't look as weathered as the rest of the costume.

Attachments

• shoes.jpg
    shoes.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,445
  • 195-IA5300.jpg
    195-IA5300.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 2,459
  • straps.jpg
    straps.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,442
The overshoe sandals must be a 3D print with the NASA logo being part of the design and all.
I would have thought for sure if they were going to the trouble, they'd have made the insignia reversed, so it would 'read right' when you looked at the impression...

Yes., It's the coolshirt allright. I've ordered a blue one a week ago. I needed one for other hot costumes, so I thought why the heck not just get the blue one. I'll pose in pictures when I get it,. haha.

Nice fint on the shoe detail. Allright, then I could 3d model that and it can be printet at shapeways in rubber.

Been thinking of buying a light helmet and worbla and foam build the hardparts,. and then get a clear acryllic dome to fix on it. But I don't know any sizes quite yet.

He does wear a baraclava of some kind under the helmet,. Black with a white stripe. Googling "baraclava black with white top" never gave any result close enough. Is it called something else?

Instead of "baraclava" try "balaclava" ;)

Better yet, try "astronaut snoopy cap"
FYI, they're really called a Communications Carrier Assembly (or CCA). Leave it to NASA to make a term that long for something that simple. "Snoopy cap" as a term hasn't been used for a really long time by astronauts, except when explaining things to the public (and probably not even then as who even knows who Snoopy is these days?)

haha, or baklava,..

Google corrected me,. but both actually yields results,.

But snoopy cap seems right on the money,. Cheers :)

Although Watneys seem to not have the big ears,. hmm,. Seems to not be a balaclave at all. I rewatched the trailer and did some captures.
Easy to fabricate?

snoopy-cap.jpg

(And I might be able to get a almost 80 percent perfect sideshot of the helmet,. he does cover the back,. but glimpses of the top is seen..)

Last edited:
I would have thought for sure if they were going to the trouble, they'd have made the insignia reversed, so it would 'read right' when you looked at the impression...

If this was a Lunar mission, reversing the logo might make sense since the foot prints will be there a very, very long time. On a martian mission it isn't critical what the sole looks like since the wind will blow the dust away. I don't believe terrestrial shoes reverse their logos.

I'm having the armor and helmet modeled for me as we speak. As soon as it's finished, I'll begin printing. Aiming to be casting in a couple months. I can also have the soles of the shoe modeled as well.

DragonCon 2016, anyone?

Thats cool WBE
I still don't know if I'll be trying to build it myself,. but I am very interested in seeing what you make. So you will be selling casts?

Got my harness package today,. Boy was I nervous that it could be the wrong one,. The ebay listing used the catalogue image. But it looks all good :)
2015-08-11 21.48.50.jpg

Going tomorrow or thursday to a climbing store to look for buckles,. Where is people ordering buckles from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back