The Martian Space Suit

As everyone knows there are a couple of grey flight suits available online but as previously stated the shoulder detail looks custom. Thinking about getting one in long and hemming it to customize the shoulder panels from it then sewing it on. Would be easier to get the patches on too. I'm 5'10", I think a long would give me enough fabric to work with. Any ideas?

Good idea about getting a long pair and using the excess material. I've been trying to color match mine and have had no luck. Looks like it will be a custom dye job for me.

They added a sweater-looking stand up collar under the regular one too it looks like. At least I haven't seen any flight suits with two collars like that? collar2.png

I really want to get in on this EVA suit business too but the flight suit will meet my immediate gratification needs.

Reference of the inside of the helmet

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%2012.23.54%20PM_zpssut9oolw.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%2012.23.46%20PM_zpscynef3hy.png

and a shot of the palm of the hand:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%2012.25.59%20PM_zpskn8qrsm6.png

Definitely not the fox gloves. I received them, they're good but the palm is wrong. It almost looks like a custom job where they added fabric to break up the grip on the palm.

I like the design, but the one thing Hollywood has hardly ever been able to do is to make the suits look 'inflated' like one would be. Wearing a pressure suit is a very uncomfortable thing as the suit doesn't wanna flex like the body needs it. That's the primary reason astronauts have to be in such good shape if they're doing an EVA.
I guess there's no real way around that but it bugs the heck out of me every time.

I like the design, but the one thing Hollywood has hardly ever been able to do is to make the suits look 'inflated' like one would be. Wearing a pressure suit is a very uncomfortable thing as the suit doesn't wanna flex like the body needs it. That's the primary reason astronauts have to be in such good shape if they're doing an EVA.
I guess there's no real way around that but it bugs the heck out of me every time.

http://youtu.be/ExH_YEE4DCs

Yeah, I know people working on new suit designs at NASA. One of them personally told me they don't see any suit that doesn't leave you with a "Michelin Man" look due to the pressure differential for a really long time, if ever.

Very interesting. I would love to see The Martian, Interstellar, etc and how different they'd be if the suits were inflated hahah

Reference of the inside of the helmet

Definitely not the fox gloves. I received them, they're good but the palm is wrong. It almost looks like a custom job where they added fabric to break up the grip on the palm.

I'm in agreement that these are not Fox gloves. Once you mentioned them I started to look at other motocross gloves and I am starting to think that the red marking on the outer edge of the gloves is key to identifying the manufacturer. I still think these were a production model glove just because that several actors wore different sizes and if the gloves fell apart backups would be needed.

I'm still looking all over at motocross gloves,maybe I'll find something.

Another issue I've talked with NASA suit people on is the concept of prolonged EVAs on Mars and what they'll do to a suit. There's a lot of worrying that the dust will get into the seals and wear the suits out quickly. Keep in mind, the longest surface EVA NASA has ever done was just over 22 hours, cumulative over 3 days, on Apollo 17. And those suits had issues when they got back to the wrist and neck seals from all that Lunar dust.
The book has several EVAs by the main character and I'll be watching the movie closely out of curiosity when it comes out.

On WBE's first picture on the inside of the helmet is a nice top view o the armcomputer. I think it definetly looks like some sort of smartphone inside an enclosure. The phonedisplay doesnt fill up the whole frame, as there is that "step" from the lcd to the black glass frame. Maybe a black iPhone4 ?
If my finals are over this sumer I definetly tackle some of the "rigid parts" of the suit and make them 3D printable, the armheld computer will be one of the first.

Greetings,
Marius

Great find Captain April!
Thats a very good ref shot.

I was wondering if the yellow/orange lines on the gloves could be 3d printer filaments? What do you think people?

I'm back researching the gloves. I'm finding gloves with a close palm, but wrong reverse side. And vise-versa. The palm is a non-slip grip. From riding gloves, to smartphone gloves, to work gloves, can't seem to find it. We could always try kitbashing two different pairs of gloves together, but this would be challenging due to size issues.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back