Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I loved the falcon's new moves...nice to see this done in atmosphere and not just in vacuum of space. also looking at the "rebel" pilot pic and the x wing pic, there doesn't appear to be any astromechs riding behind the pilots.

It's cool, JD...we can agree to disagree :)

Star Wars to me is and always will be about the things we love. The good of the Rebels, and the evil of the Empire. We are tying a 30 year old movie together with a new one, so you need to have some crossover. It's clear that they want to introduce the classic Han, Luke and Leia, but move on with new characters and new stories. Let's let this tie-in play out and see where it goes. There's LOTS more Star Wars left in Disney.

-Ss

It has been shared before, but good to reflect on it again.

Vintage 1983 clip of Mark Hamill talking about the future of Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars saga. They were off only by few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

I liked it. It did have a little bit of a different feel to it. I just have to say that I did not like the lightsaber blade effects. I at least hope that it's the only one that looks like that.

No more absurd than not being able to realize that we've already several movies setting up that Stormtroopers are clones and not being able to understand that the general public who sees these movies most likely considers this part of Star Wars lore.

So yes, it's absurdly lazy of the new Star Wars storytellers to retcon this part of Star Wars. Surely you can understand that. It's as bad as Greedo shooting (first).

Can we move on now?

If they were clones in OT then they did a pretty poor job of growing them to the same size.

star-wars-13.jpg

Stormtrooper_Corps.png

One more thing to add on the topic of similarity from the OT and TFA; The main title music from ANH is used over, and over and over again in the OT, with different tones, instruments and arrangements. This isn't because of laziness on John Williams' part, it's a way of putting the viewer in the moment by capturing them with something that they are already familiar with. Ships, characters and scenery are no different IMHO. It's a storytelling piece that helps you lose yourself in the moment, and bring you into the world of the storyteller.

-Ss

Yeah, Luke would have looked even more inconspicuous pretending to be one, if every other one on the station was the same height.

I liked it. It did have a little bit of a different feel to it. I just have to say that I did not like the lightsaber blade effects. I at least hope that it's the only one that looks like that.

Again, this saber is VERY likely a Sith artifact and a very ancient version of the lightsaber, less refined and focused.

Not to bag on the PT, but just these few shots feel so much more real then the last 3 films. It feels less polished, the opening shot of the desert and Boyega could have been a fan film, and I say that in a good way. Most of ANH looks like a fan film these days. It feels like JJ and crew really went for it.

- - - Updated - - -

And I hope that's true. If it is, the cross guard may be more of an "exhaust" than a true blade.

Every rumor I have read would suggest it. This is likely Adam Driver who is supposedly a collector of Sith artifacts.

Words fail me at the levels minds go to to be disappointed, its new Star Wars and needs to be reinvented and looked awesome without giving anything away.....what more could we ask for?????

This aside I'm not happy about the thickness of the glass in the X-wings cockpit, and the sand was defiantly the wrong grain size for that planet location..........and those trees don't exist outside of Europe so what the hell are they doing to us eh!!!!

Just spotted the snow didn't look like the same snow they used in the Hoth scenes, hopefully this will be amended before the next trailer as at the moment its far to difficult to deal with!!!

Rolling R2 balls of doom heaven :)

There are many possibilities... different ages of clones being the easiest explanation (there could be multiple/new sources of clones, too). Of course, they might all meant to be the same height, too - just as Vader's saber is meant to be red...

JD, stop. There is ZERO in the OT actual films that suggest they are clones. ZERO. I am so with you on so many things you say here, but this is just a fools errand of a debate.

And I hope that's true. If it is, the cross guard may be more of an "exhaust" than a true blade.

Thats how I saw it. The blade ignites first and the exhaust Flames seem to come out the sides second. The blade looks more crude/ancient too with flames/lightning coming off it. I like it.

Ben

Well there is precedence for that too.

I remember in the 80s when the wall came down, and country after country overthrow their communist leaders and got their freedom, and then the students gathered in china in Tianaman square, and for a moment it looked like it might happen there too. Alas that was not meant to be.

The thing about dominoes falling, is it only takes one to not fall down, and all the others behind them stay up too.

the sand was defiantly the wrong grain size for that planet location..........and those trees don't exist outside of Europe so what the hell are they doing to us eh!!!!

Just spotted the snow didn't look like the same snow they used in the Hoth scenes, hopefully this will be amended before the next trailer as at the moment its far to difficult to deal with!!!

I'm not sure if you're making a joke or not with this, but in case you aren't, then I will say we're probably not looking at Tatooine and Hoth, but entirely different locations. Just because one has sand and the other has snow does not automatically make them places we've seen before.

The defeat of the Empire in ROTJ is almost a side story to the Force being brought into "balance". The voice over suggest that period is over. I don't think this film or series is about "The Empire" it's about what has happened to the Force since the death of Anakin. Perhaps it's not as hopeful as we thought. Perhaps "balance" need both light and dark to actually be in balance?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back