Wonder Woman

Mr Mold Maker, are there any sources citing these issues? In any case, I'm not surprised really. These films just aren't good enough to compete with even the most mediocre Marvel film.

Official sources? Nope.. just the whispers of a few folks involved. As in, more than one saying the same thing.
A side note; the letter, while absolutely hilarious, is not what I was referring to.

I would absolutely love to see this movie turn out good.. It doesn't have to be great, I'd be THRILLED to get "good." I am not optimistic, but I am also doing my best not to be negative. I'll surely be watching with an open mind... When it comes out for rent..

This is just a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.
Supposedly, much like Suicide Squad, there is some conflict going on with the direction of the film. No idea what that could mean, whether it be the editing or cut of the movie but it looks like WB is continuing to make the same mistake. Suicide Squad was supposed to be the film to correct the course of the DCCU, and obviously that didn't happen. Is this film the one that will put the final nail in the coffin if it is recieved as poorly?

With a relatively untested director and WB seemingly intent on shooting itself in the foot, can this film be pulled off successfully? Personally? I doubt it. I've held out hope and been let down far too many times at this point.

Hard to say... Marvel has had some pretty unusual director choices for what is always going to end up being a big budget action movie.
Taika Waititi is dong the next Thor movie. His biggest credit as far as I know was "What We Do In The Shadows". That was a hysterical movie on so many levels, but I don't see that as a spring board to a Marvel movie.

James Gunn.... best thing I remember was Slither. He ended up knocking it out of the park with GotG.

The Russo Brothers... from You, Me, and Dupree to Captain America Winter Soldier and Civil War? What space math did Marvel use to figure out that those guys would make such awesome movies.

Then you have Zack Snyder.... made a total of two great movies: 300 and Watchmen. Did I mention ONLY 2? I liked Man of Steel a lot. But it's so hard not to find a lot of fault in it. I could stretch it to 3. But BvS is a no go.

So, who knows what the guy they picked for Wonder Woman might be capable of given the chance and a huge pot of money to play with.

Then you have Zack Snyder.... made a total of two great movies: 300 and Watchmen. Did I mention ONLY 2? I liked Man of Steel a lot. But it's so hard not to find a lot of fault in it. I could stretch it to 3. But BvS is a no go.
Saying Zack Snyder made two great movies is arguable and certainly objective. Personally, as a whole, I put his Dawn of the Dead remake a bit higher than either... 300 certainly is visually stunning and works for what it is. Watchmen - I love the source material so much - has moments, but I think ultimately misses for many reasons - one of which is his new visual style that seems adapted from his 300 approach (and has carried on in his recent work). I do like Sucker Punch more than I should - but, ultimately, it's a one trick mindless MTV-inspired mess.

While Marvel gambled with unknown and unproven directors and has mostly won, DC has tried to do the same... Snyder, had a bit more to back him up than a lot of Marvel's new talent - but, I think he's failed them. Rather than admit this failure - DC keeps pushing forward so they don't have to start from scratch. Whereas, Marvel - who really did fail with two Hulk movies just kept going forward and basically ignored them. But, a Superman failure is much bigger than a Hulk failure in the overall big picture.

Patty Jenkins does seem like a very Marvel type choice to direct Wonder Woman. I think the issue with the DC movies is more about getting out of Snyder's shadow... and I do wonder about the involvement of Geoff Johns.

I agree, Dawn of the Dead was a good remake. I've watched it more than a few times.
After I made that comment I thought "Maybe I should put 'arguably' in there".

The Hulk movies weren't bad, but they weren't great either. I almost don't count any Marvel movies prior to Iron Man. Everything that is part of the current MCU. That would include the Incredible Hulk which, again, wasn't horrible but obviously it [thankfully] lacked continuity in both the actor playing Banner and the design of the Hulk.

Watchmen was great. The ending was arguably a good move. I'm not sure the giant alien octopus thing would have worked on the big screen. I would say Snyder's style might have detracted from what made Watchmen so great, since it seemed at times to be more flashy camera work than actual storytelling, but I think overall he pulled it off well.

I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that he had well respected graphic source material to work from with both Watchmen and 300. While he put his own style into it, both 300 and Watchmen were pretty much storyboarded for him. He seemed to go to a lot of effort to stay true to the graphic novels cell for cell.

Sucker Punch is a great example of why you shouldn't let Snyder run as both director and writer. He's like a kid in a room full of awesome toys that wants to play with all of the at once. That was Sucker Punch. How could a movie that has mechs, samurais, guns, hot girls, and explosions be bad? Or maybe the better question is how could it be good. Too much of a good thing ends up being just too much.

Watchmen was great. The ending was arguably a good move. I'm not sure the giant alien octopus thing would have worked on the big screen. I would say Snyder's style might have detracted from what made Watchmen so great, since it seemed at times to be more flashy camera work than actual storytelling, but I think overall he pulled it off well.
I found the new ending very problematic for one simple reason. The film includes scenes of Doctor Manhattan being worshiped by regular people. If the world believes that Doctor Manhattan was behind this, there is no way that those who worshiped him would not take this as a sign to act out in some way. But in the typical Zack Snyder fashion of having a very limited perspective, the issue of those who worship Doctor Manhattan is NEVER addressed. With the octopus, at least humanity was being duped into believing that their foe was an unknown entity that they could fight against.

I found the new ending very problematic for one simple reason. The film includes scenes of Doctor Manhattan being worshiped by regular people. If the world believes that Doctor Manhattan was behind this, there is no way that those who worshiped him would not take this as a sign to act out in some way. But in the typical Zack Snyder fashion of having a very limited perspective, the issue of those who worship Doctor Manhattan is NEVER addressed. With the octopus, at least humanity was being duped into believing that their foe was an unknown entity that they could fight against.

He seems to repeat the theme with BvS and the whole worshipping of false Gods and people working behind the scenes to knock those with power down to our level.

Interestingly enough WW director was the first choice for Thor: The Dark World. While we may never the true story behind her departure, a few things have popped up including an insider stating she had a "lack of clarity."

Well, that explains a lot!

or maybe just not clear on how the marvel characters worked, hence 'lack of clarity'. which, of course, does not bode well for wonder woman.
especially if she makes her a xena warrior princess clone, as some people thought the outfit reminded them of IIRC :)

'lack of clarity' would fit the WB universe perfectly though :)

Similarities between WW and Xena have always been there tho but some just needed to find yet another thing they could hate as could be seen when they first released a picture of gadot in costume. The costume looks great in my opinion and so far she has been one of the good things to come from BvS.

Wont really discuss the part about patty jenkins as thats been an article where both sides had their version of why and in the end i dont care why she was dropped...

Will we see an allusion or an outright set up for someone like Cheetah? I'm not so sure. I'd like them to plant a seed though.

or maybe just not clear on how the marvel characters worked, hence 'lack of clarity'. which, of course, does not bode well for wonder woman.
especially if she makes her a xena warrior princess clone, as some people thought the outfit reminded them of IIRC :)

'lack of clarity' would fit the WB universe perfectly though :)

That was my recurring nightmare a few years ago, trying to pitch a WW movie to a Hollywood executive who is dimly aware you're basically ripping off that series about the medieval lesbian who makes that weird sound and throws a frisbee ...

That was my recurring nightmare a few years ago, trying to pitch a WW movie to a Hollywood executive who is dimly aware you're basically ripping off that series about the medieval lesbian who makes that weird sound and throws a frisbee ...

That... is probably the best description of Xena I have ever heard.

A little off topic, but..

one of the answers toa question at retro con, was along the lines of 'one of the reasons these older shows stick out in memory is because they where light hearted and so full of color. it's what sticks out in my mind when you saw the splash of color on screen, you knew it was going to be fun.'

paraphrasing here, and i might be getting some lines wrong, but that was the gist of it. and he's right.

all these WB things are so dark and grim and gritty, it sucks the fun right out of a super hero movie.

That Batman suit you can't even see the bat symbol. it just looks all black or different shades of black.

It's like WB is running as far as it can from golly gee willickers and the wonder twins. when they don't realize that if you have the right writers..even the wonder twins can be done right and made cool.

A little off topic, but..

one of the answers toa question at retro con, was along the lines of 'one of the reasons these older shows stick out in memory is because they where light hearted and so full of color. it's what sticks out in my mind when you saw the splash of color on screen, you knew it was going to be fun.'

paraphrasing here, and i might be getting some lines wrong, but that was the gist of it. and he's right.

all these WB things are so dark and grim and gritty, it sucks the fun right out of a super hero movie.

That Batman suit you can't even see the bat symbol. it just looks all black or different shades of black.

It's like WB is running as far as it can from golly gee willickers and the wonder twins. when they don't realize that if you have the right writers..even the wonder twins can be done right and made cool.
wwtweet.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back