Unsolved Star Wars Prop Mysteries

here some of the rare view of esb fett flame

rrqc9j.jpg

i5sxau.png

Update on the HOVI-MIX Pa 2 parts used for the comm link and the stormtrooper helmet details:

I was having a conversation with Peter Briggs (Writer: Hellboy) about a different prop when he mentioned this:

"John Mollo was a family friend of my ex-girlfriend. I sat in the garden once, and he told me about all of the stuff they raided from the plumbing store on the high street (I used to live in Borehamwood myself for a time, so I was familiar with the place), like the com links and stormtrooper chin attachments being plastic sink mixer fittings."

Hopefully this will help in the search for the original pieces.

Last edited:
I imagine something like that, or perhaps an internal piece of the mixer (hot/cold water mixing) in a British sink fitting.

It makes sense that it would be now, as I have always heard them referred to as HOVI MIX, and I always assumed a sound mixer or microphone piece.

Not really news, people have been looking in that area for years now - noone has managed to find the proper thing though.

I am still trying to figure out the add-on parts of the ESB Hoth "scanner", as seen in this thread (contains some high res pics):

http://www.therpf.com/f79/help-need-ideas-hoth-portable-scanner-prop-56061/

Besides of the split-plugs, the microswitches and the Unisweep/ transrotor parts, WHAT THE HELL are those other parts?
Where do these clamp-rings originate from?
What are those "circuit breaker" like levers?
What did they used for the white "housings" that are attached close to the antennaes?
etc.

Would actually PAY for some helpful input ;)

Markus

I am still trying to figure out the add-on parts of the ESB Hoth "scanner", as seen in this thread (contains some high res pics):

http://www.therpf.com/f79/help-need-ideas-hoth-portable-scanner-prop-56061/

Besides of the split-plugs, the microswitches and the Unisweep/ transrotor parts, WHAT THE HELL are those other parts?
Where do these clamp-rings originate from?
What are those "circuit breaker" like levers?
What did they used for the white "housings" that are attached close to the antennaes?
etc.

Would actually PAY for some helpful input ;)

Markus

I want to figure out what the main housing was. The whole thing is a giant found part (or two stuck together).
I've been looking, but no luck yet.

Hi Chris

Of course I am interested in the main housing as well, BUT I consider it a smaller problem since it could be scratchbuilt pretty easily if needed, while the other parts are way more complicated IMHO.

Soooo...

What direction do we want this thread to go after its ressurection?
Right now it seems more like a "wishlist" of parts to discover, than an actual effort to FIND these things?

Would it be an option to pick the "items of interest" and start a separate research thread per prop/ part?
TRIED to do this a couple of times in the past but the response was less than overwhelming :(
Maybe it´s good timing to give it a new go, since we now have our own SW-forum ;)
THANKS again MODS :thumbsup

Markus

Hi Gang,

This particular greeblie has baffled us despite it showing a serial number... Even Wavey can't find it (he's the man)... Starkiller did an awesome 3D render / print of the part. The greeblie is ALL OVER the Falcon, the Xwing, Snowspeeder, etc...

Original greeblie on top of medical droid
throttlegreeblie.jpg

3D printed greeblie
20130404_194559_zps4701ccfa.jpg

But what the heck is it????

Personally, I would love to know what some of the greeblies are on the B-wing pilot helmet, chestbox and flak vest. I have a few figured out but the others... no clue.

For example...
Helmets.jpg

What the heck is that disc-shaped greeblie on the right side of the "dome" on the helmets? I've been staring at every picture I can find and have been trying to figure it out for the past three years and still can't come up with anything that looks remotely similar. There are two styles in the picture above: one seems to be a flat disc shape with four "vents" along the outside edge, while another one has four holes on the surface of the disc and no "vents" along the edge. Then there's another black disc on top-- which might be the Yamaha disc like on the Y-wing pilot helmet but it looks too small... I've compared the size of the Y-wing greeblie to the B-wing pilot helmet (I have some) but it's not the right size.

The closest picture I have seen is this one but it doesn't look like the same greeblie. It may be, I can't swear to it, but it just doesn't look the same to me. But maybe it is. But for that matter, I can't figure out what that greeblie is, either. Not one clue.
Here's another shot of it. It's also on the A-wing pilot flak vest.

I would also like to figure out what the greeblies are on the flak vest. I know the greeblie in the middle is a BENDIX bulk head connector, and I managed to find an accurate one, but the other two... no clue.
Same with the greeblie on the right side of the chestbox (the piece that's hidden under the hose in one picture, but can be seen in the full-body picture). I have yet to be able to figure out what that is, either. For my chestbox I had to rig something up, and while it looks pretty close, it's not perfect. I would love to find the accurate piece.
B-WingPilotTenNumb2.jpg

Also, the black (or is it gray? Maybe transparent milky white? I can't tell) connector thingy that's dangling at the end of the cord, also seen here. The heck...? :lol

And lastly, the rectangular black... thing that seems to attach the black side-release buckle to the flak vest. It would have to be something that attaches firmly to the flak vest (maybe it has screwed through the back?) or it would rip off from the weight of the chestbox... But what the pieces are I have no idea. I haven't found anything similar that's the right size or shape.
monCalPilot2.jpg

Yeah, so I've got a few things, but it's been bugging me for ages. :p

Last edited:
Here in town there is a place called C&H surplus. There are a fewer other like places around LA as well.

These places are full of electronic aluminum greebly junk. I think many of the parts, even though there may be multi -parts were made as one off projects and not necessarily mass manufactured. I'm concerned that if the prop guys went to these "salvaged junk stores" there are certain parts that will never be identified.

C&H Surplus

Here in town there is a place called C&H surplus. There are a fewer other like places around LA as well.

These places are full of electronic aluminum greebly junk. I think many of the parts, even though there may be multi -parts were made as one off projects and not necessarily mass manufactured. I'm concerned that if the prop guys went to these "salvaged junk stores" there are certain parts that will never be identified.

C&H Surplus

I checked out that store. Fantastic! I saw the "New Arrivals" part. They made up some fantastic fake names for some of the complicated-looking equipment. They have an enclosed cab of some sort that a man could stand inside. They called it a Time Transport capsule. Don't miss the photo of the Turbo Molecular Recapitulation Modulator.

ESB Hoth "scanner"

I guess the two parts sticking out at the front of the prop have been ID'd? If not, they appear to be 'Schrader air-line hose couplings' - a quick release type with an added cap over the part for extra grippage.

There's possibly some other Schrader air-line valve parts on top but I've not had a hunt for these.

I think there are a couple of the top valve parts inside FX-7 Med-Droid, along with the part SofaKing01 posted above. Those would probably be in very good condition and may have the full part numbers on - if anyone can get close enough to check it out.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back