HELP!! Need ideas for Hoth portable scanner prop

moff man

Hey Gang,

I know this is a tall order because as far as i know, no one has identified these found items atop the Hoth Rebel Scanner. I thought i would give this a good showing here and see if this rings any bells with you guys.

So we all know the prop i am talking about right?

Han Solo using the Portable Scanner on Hoth.

Now below are shots of the screen used prop from the museum tour:

They're 4 different items on top of the scanner

1: some type of car or radio antenna

2: round steel base with steel rod atop

3: some strange clamping device with textured grip

4: white plastic cover that leans on the antenna

I have the body of the prop under way

below is just a prototype mock up but you get the idea

Any help on the top greebles would be a great help.

I know there was some work on trying to identify the parts a few years ago. I don't think there were any definite conclusions, but I can post some larger pics if it'll help any.

hothscanner11A.jpg

hothscanner12A.jpg

hothscanner13A.jpg

hothscanner14A.jpg

hothscanner15A.jpg

hothscanner1A.jpg

hothscanner1B.jpg

hothscanner2A.jpg

hothscanner2B.jpg

hothscanner3A.jpg

hothscanner3B.jpg

hothscanner4A.jpg

hothscanner5A.jpg

Hope it helps.

-Fred

those are fantastic pics thank you .... Much better then i have seen before. I will keep checking , i just know some one will know what a few of these items are from.

The front clips look like they could be old clipper blades?

The top piece with the textured handle looks like some kind of clamping closure, you tighten with the handle then close it till it locks, like locking clamp pliers.

The black plastic piece on the anntena looks like part of Lukes comlink?

the other metal piece above it the one with the holes on the side looks like a flame nozzle of some type.

The 2 colored buttons on the front look like basic electronic buttons, does anyone know of a website that would sell buttons and lights like this?

Jump a bump to keep this search alive. I am almost done with the body of the prop and will be starting the top pieces soon, if i can find them. I will make them from scratch if need be.

Speaking of the Star Wars Finse Norway 30th anniversary....I was wondering if any one has gotten any closer to positively identifying anything regarding this?

i think when looking at the body of the thing, we should mentally divide it in half
and try to imagine what the real-world object is, in that way. I think it's fairly obvious that it is two-of-a-kind, fused together... sure, some of the parts were added on to the base-object, but I would bet a majority of the do-dads are part of the original piece... whatever it is.

i think when looking at the body of the thing, we should mentally divide it in half
and try to imagine what the real-world object is, in that way. I think it's fairly obvious that it is two-of-a-kind, fused together... sure, some of the parts were added on to the base-object, but I would bet a majority of the do-dads are part of the original piece... whatever it is.

I've been trying to figure this one out for awhile.
Examining the base it's clear that it's two halves are designed to fold out so that they end up side by side. There are also two round holes at the top (a black V8 piece fills this hole on each side). When the piece is unfolded those two holes would line up - if there are matching holes in the bottom that would create a path for a poll/pipe/tube to past straight through. The split plugs on the sides cover rectangular holes.

The object is molded in white/off-white, not painted.
It seems likely it is a case for something, but I haven't figured out what yet.

Yeah I thought it was from the end of a Michell Engineering turntable sweep arm(I'm a member at the dented helmet), I just didn't know what size it was.

and try to imagine what the real-world object is, in that way. I think it's fairly obvious that it is two-of-a-kind, fused together.
I agree, based on the mirrored placement of the hardware, it looks like two of the same distinct objects joined to together.

Click for High resolution.

I agree, based on the mirrored placement of the hardware, it looks like two of the same distinct objects joined to together.

I disagree. The two halves are hinged and that hinge looks original.
If it were two pieces I would expect it to be joined all around or at least the hinge look more cobbled together.
Sometimes while on display the seam line is open near the top, so it still opens to a degree. The way the hinge is designed, it likely opened to lay completely flat.

Heres a shot in the dark.
Could the main body be something like a couple of vintage wax paper/tin foil dispensers ?
ebay 390182547375
Not saying this is the one, but something along these lines.
Two of them stuck together.
Scott

Some friends of mine a couple years back swear up and down they saw this box in a Gun/Vintage WWII Gun book as a cleaning kit or tool kit box. But they cannot remember the book name though they still skim through every book of the type they come on to try to find it again.

Both are pretty avid SWs fans so they both agreed it looked like this box, but we've never been able to find the item while looking for gun related boxes or through gun books again, or find that original book.

Interesting prop research, especially since one of the add-on parts was also used on the Hoth electrobinoculars I´m currently building ;)

Let´s take a closer look at this picture:
hothscanner1B.jpg

My guess would be some kind of vintage clamp wheel hub (often used with RC equipment) for the base, while the upper section resembles those trellis/ facade hubs...
HBS61155-2.jpg

Green%20Wall%20Hub%20Main.jpg

Markus

Necro-post for an interesting prop :):thumbsup

Has anybody ever seen these kind of buttons with the knurled bezels?
What about the "lever" type metal components on top?

I´m pretty sure the antennaes are either old RC parts or car-parts.

Anyone?

Markus

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back