Avengers: Age of Ultron (Post-release)

Chalk that up to my head not being clear still :)

Furthers the point though...none were in 2, only 1 in 1 and that's because it was his request, not their idea.

While I really like Natalie Portman as an actor, Jane Foster is a logistic ball and chain for Thor.
Thor needs to date around.
We don't need to kill Jane but maybe have her character not-irreversibly deactivated (e.g. amnesia, coma, banished to another dimension, dumps Thor and gets married ...)?

Well, there's also the canonical 'Thor falls in love with and eventually marries Sif' thing as well...

Just remember that because the comics did one thing, the movies are not beholden to do that same thing. The MCU is heavily influenced by Prime and Ultimate Marvel Comics, but in the end it's its own thing.

--Jonah

I'd be totally fine if Gweneth wasn't in any more of the Marvel movies. She was good in the first one, but after that I got tired of her.

lda8oAz.jpg

Got an early copy of the Avengers 2 on blu-ray and immediately watched the deleted scene involving Thor. The article that talked about it covered most of what the scene was about except that the reason why he had to get in the body of water is because it requires life as an offering.

Thor has "more life" than other people which is why it looks like he's being drained of life. Also, I need to watch the scene again later but the person who is speaking through Thor is the Other.

The "Infinity Six" is mentioned as well and the dangers behind the stones. Which leads Thor to take it upon himself to "help" Stark bring the Vision to life.

As opposed to what was presented in the theatrical cut, this scene did not have any of the gems assembling montage or the Infinity Gauntlet. The scene was basically Selvig asking questions and the Other (or at least, who I presume to be the Other) answering his questions.

New Avengers Age of Ultron gaffe

Hi All,

Was watching Avengers Age of Ultron last night (for the ?? time) and notice that when the Avengers arrive back to Avengers Tower with Loki's sceptre, Tony gets J.A.R.V.I.S to run a diagnostic and pick up a 3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro Wireless and taps it to start the said diagnostic.However he picks it up and taps on the wrist rest as if he is typing something.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed it or any other gaffes!!

Attachments

• 3dconnextionspacemousewireless.png
    3dconnextionspacemousewireless.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 76
I thought the Other was killed by Ronan the Accuser. Is this 'that' Other or something else?

Which is why I cant say for sure. It sounds like the Other. I didn't turn on the subtitles and some of the dialogue seemed inaudible I did hear the word "father"...so maybe not.

Got an early copy of the Avengers 2 on blu-ray and immediately watched the deleted scene involving Thor. The article that talked about it covered most of what the scene was about except that the reason why he had to get in the body of water is because it requires life as an offering.

Thor has "more life" than other people which is why it looks like he's being drained of life. Also, I need to watch the scene again later but the person who is speaking through Thor is the Other.

The "Infinity Six" is mentioned as well and the dangers behind the stones. Which leads Thor to take it upon himself to "help" Stark bring the Vision to life.

As opposed to what was presented in the theatrical cut, this scene did not have any of the gems assembling montage or the Infinity Gauntlet. The scene was basically Selvig asking questions and the Other (or at least, who I presume to be the Other) answering his questions.

Now THIS would've made a whole lot more sense than the rush job Marvel Studios did for the theatrical. Would explain why it was dangerous for Thor to go in there, AND why he needed Selvig. Can't imagine this deleted scene was that much longer than the theatrical version, maybe an extra 5 minutes? Would've improved easily the biggest plot hole of AoU. This version still doesn't quite explain how Thor came to the conclusion to bring Vision to life, but still does a much better job explaining than what we saw in the movie.

Now THIS would've made a whole lot more sense than the rush job Marvel Studios did for the theatrical. Would explain why it was dangerous for Thor to go in there, AND why he needed Selvig. Can't imagine this deleted scene was that much longer than the theatrical version, maybe an extra 5 minutes? Would've improved easily the biggest plot hole of AoU. This version still doesn't quite explain how Thor came to the conclusion to bring Vision to life, but still does a much better job explaining than what we saw in the movie.

Agreed. I would have liked for them to reduce the footage time of those hallucinations Scarlet Witch made Captain America, Thor, and Black Widow see. I don't see why Joss Whedon pushed for these scenes as it honestly doesn't add to the overall story.

Agreed. I would have liked for them to reduce the footage time of those hallucinations Scarlet Witch made Captain America, Thor, and Black Widow see. I don't see why Joss Whedon pushed for these scenes as it honestly doesn't add to the overall story.

I didn't think Whedon dwelled too long on any one of those dream sequences, and they each served a purpose. Thor's dream was for the Infinity Stones reveal and to tease Ragnorak, nothing more than a lazy Phase 3 set-up if you ask me. Cap's dream actually played into moments of character development throughout the film. It helped him realize he has no purpose outside of fighting a war, you see it when he becomes uncomfortable going back into Barton's house, and he even admits it towards the end of the movie to BW. Widow's dream goes to show she's been turned into a monster, and sets up her inner conflict for weighing her responsibilities as an Avenger or giving it all up to try and live a normal life.

Given Marvel's penchant for long-form storytelling, I presume Steve and Tony's developments in AoU would play into their conflict in Civil War. Registration act aside, there's also some headbutting in selfish needs here - Steve is more interested in the process of ending conflict, whereas Tony is seeking the actual end of conflict. As much flack AoU got from the fans, Whedon and Marvel did squeeze in some good character development pieces throughout the film, though they didn't place a whole lot of focus on them.

I didn't think Whedon dwelled too long on any one of those dream sequences, and they each served a purpose. Thor's dream was for the Infinity Stones reveal and to tease Ragnorak, nothing more than a lazy Phase 3 set-up if you ask me. Cap's dream actually played into moments of character development throughout the film. It helped him realize he has no purpose outside of fighting a war, you see it when he becomes uncomfortable going back into Barton's house, and he even admits it towards the end of the movie to BW. Widow's dream goes to show she's been turned into a monster, and sets up her inner conflict for weighing her responsibilities as an Avenger or giving it all up to try and live a normal life.

Given Marvel's penchant for long-form storytelling, I presume Steve and Tony's developments in AoU would play into their conflict in Civil War. Registration act aside, there's also some headbutting in selfish needs here - Steve is more interested in the process of ending conflict, whereas Tony is seeking the actual end of conflict. As much flack AoU got from the fans, Whedon and Marvel did squeeze in some good character development pieces throughout the film, though they didn't place a whole lot of focus on them.

Amazing. That's actually changed my opinion on a huge part of the movie. Thank you for that.

third3ye, the only part of that I disagree with is the "lazy Phase 3 setup". All of the films from Iron Man on have set up what comes after. Fury bringin gup the Avengers Initiative and the presence of the Ten Rings in that first one, Coulson heading off to New Mexico and the Tesseract being in Howard's notebook/Stark Expo model in Iron Man 2, and so on and so on. This is a movie studio arm of a company that's had years of practice with "coming next issue" and "see [title and issue number] to see what Tony's talking about!" sorts of things. The trend through all of Phases 1 through three is getting the audience and characters more an dmore clued in on the Infinity Stones. Thor summed it up in AoU nicely -- the fact that they're all resurfacing now means something... and Our Heroes have to figure out what. That's the final lead-up (with other incidents and events along the way) to the Infinity War. Works for me, I'm enjoying the ride, and I'm curious to see where they plan to go after.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a good point. Cap is a soldier. He's not a diplomat. He's not an arbitrator. He fights and more often than not wins battles. But he even stated at the end of the movie that he was where he belonged or something. As long as there is a war to fight he'll have a place in the world he thawed out in.

Tony evolved from his experiences... he sold weapons, he was injured by his weapons, he tried to repair the damage his weapons were doing in the world, he tried to make the world safe from all weapons.... in a sense.

The development of characters Age of Ultron is one of the only things the film had to offer. It wasn't exactly done well with quite a few of them but it's what I got out of the film the most. I don't think the movie had anything to do with Civil War and was more about making a point that there are real and interesting People beyond the Avengers with their own movies. By the end of Ultron I was ready to stop seeing Stark and almost ready to let go of the of the other characters. Civil War would make a good reset film.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back