50th anniversary doctor who discussion (SPOILERS)

Actually there is a lot going on here... there is the docu-drama about the origin of the show, then you have the actual Doctor Who 50th Anniversary episiode, and then you have all of the speculation of what comes next leading up to a new Doctor. So right now I would say that there is a bit of Doctor Who mania going on, revel in it. :)
I am reveling in it. I'm more excited about the Doctor than I have been years (decades?)... but, going back and forth trying to figure out which thread is what is a bit silly.

That was awesome. I'm now absolutely totally cool with War Doctor being the technical 9th. I was very glad too to see the quick flash of Twelve in during the Gallifrey Stands sequence, and that ultimately all 13 incarnations were involved in saving Gallifrey. That was just fantastic.

But damn, it was dusty watching the episode, kept getting something in my eye.

That's the other thing, the use of Billie Piper was great. I actually like it a lot better having her be the personification of the moment and Ten's involvement coming prior to End of Time when he was being a wuss about dying than fitting it into the Series 2 timeline or involving the meta-crisis Ten.

Last edited:
Capture.JPG

Ruby Slippers @ U.N.I.T.

Last edited:
It's not that difficult as the title says it all.. Go revel..
BS. There are three threads talking about the same damn thing. It's overkill. It's silly - bordering on stupidity; threads have been combined for worse reasonings. I understand the want to discuss the special that aired today, but to start yet another thread when there are already almost 7,000 threads in the Entertainment section is just making the forum that much more difficult to navigate.

We've had talks about folks failing to search for the proper threads - but this almost seems like Montagar is endorsing creating a thread for any whim.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was even better than I thought I would be. Great tribute to 50 years, and especially the newer series. I wish that they invited a lot more of the old cast or had expanded roles for the other doctors. But it was cool to see all 12 (or 13) of them, especially Peter Capaldi.

After seeing it and enjoying it immensely I am glad they didn't try to shoehorn in more of the incarnations anymore than they did. It would have taken away from the main point of the story in my opinion. The only one who should have been there was Eccleston seeing as he followed Hurt's Doctor and was part of the time war era but he seems to have a bug up his ass about going anywhere near the show again.

I love the fact we have now seen all thirteen incarnations of the Doctor and I'm curious what the future will bring.

BS. There are three threads talking about the same damn thing. It's overkill. It's silly - bordering on stupidity; threads have been combined for worse reasonings. I understand the want to discuss the special that aired today, but to start yet another thread when there are already almost 7,000 threads in the Entertainment section is just making the forum that much more difficult to navigate.

We've had talks about folks failing to search for the proper threads - but this almost seems like @Montagar is endorsing creating a thread for any whim.

Firstly, no need for that kind of language. Even abbreviated, everyone knows what you meant. Secondly (or 2) No need to single out someone for criticism like that. Thirdly (or c) I can totally see the point of the different threads. We have discussions on the Wand company Sonic, the previously replica, now screen--accurate--because-it-was-used-in-the-50th-MFX sonic, a general, non-spoilery-covers-the-entire-history thread, and one for spoilers. Fourthly (or d, or maybe that little iv they use) I can see why an extra spolier thread for the 50th might seem superfluous, but there might actually be people who, while keen to discuss the future of the show, missed seeing the big event and will be cathing up. Also it's a good place to pile all the praise, nit-picks, costume/prop discussion from the 50th, without clogging the other threads.

That one got away from me a bit... - 10th Doctor

"Oh, look the round things are back"
"I always liked the round things"
"What are the round things?"
"..no idea"

Well, I suppose he either never really knew what they did before he nicked the Tardis, or 900-odd years is long enough to forget how they worked.
Funny line, I liked it.

Having Tom in there at the end was fantastic. And the possibility that they will find Galifrey and be able to go there again will be good. Even if Tom Bakers Doctor was always getting in trouble there.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Just watched the re-air...

Was that end sequence a tip off to what we may see? Not the rescuing galifrey part - i think that's a given. But the 'other part'.

Am I you? Or are you Me? Does it even matter?

I think you'll be seeing some familiar faces again. Not all, but just the popular ones....

Tom still has it in spades - the presence there for just a couple minutes was amazing - but that exchange was loaded with possibilities...

Just watched it and the word wow sums it all up and yet doesn't really seem to do justice seeing as it opened a whole new world of possible adventures for the next doctor.

Still damn good episode damn good.

We've had talks about folks failing to search for the proper threads - but this almost seems like @Montagar is endorsing creating a thread for any whim.
PM sent.

I absolutely loved it, theater I was in erupted in applause when Capaldi appeared. Gave me good hope for the future.

Still peeved Eccleston couldn't show up for like 30 mins. to film the regeneration bit, loved the dig on the ears. Wonder if that was Moffat's final jab for him snubbing the 50th.

It was better the first time for the surprises, like Capaldi & Baker, but better the second time for the actual story. Either way...loved them both.

Two things I caught the 2nd viewing-
1) When Hurt regenerated, the eyes & forehead were actually Eccleston's right before they cut away.

&

2) Did anyone else see that right before they cut from the regeneration, the Doctor's eyes began to glow just like Bad Wolf's did as she revealed her name?

I was hoping for some resolution to the past dangling arcs (I guess that's going to be for Christmas), but instead got this new thing to dwell on.

I do like that they've now given themselves an out to pretty much anything from this point on, with the entire Bad Wolf idea, as long as it's not over used.
I may be wrong, but from my perspective, all the things that shouldn't have been able to occur, like the 3 Doctors being able to meet & interact, & all the past & future Doctor's being able to be in an event that had been time-locked, were because Bad Wolf made things happen as she felt they needed to. Ten even mentions that they all shouldn't be at the Moment's location, & that someone must be allowing it.

That's how I'm explaining Baker's continued existence here as the Curator. People all over the 'net tell me There's nothing to it , but Moffat is going to use Baker's final lines before his regeneration to Davison. For those that don't know, he said, 'The Moment has been prepared for.". In the context of the show, he's referring to the Watcher that had been following him around, but come on! This is Moffat here. He THRIVES on taking small throwaway lines & building huge things on top of them.

I might be wrong on this...but I'm not.:cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back