Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

He was force sensitive - he could see the force darkly around Cassian when he was planning to snipe Papa Erso. He could not USE the force to do stuff though.

The SW databank says he "lacks Force abilities". I'd argue that the ability to see/sense the Force is a "Force ability" in and of itself.

I need to see that scene on Eadu (sp?) again. Did Chirrut's dialogue clearly indicate that he was Force-sensitive, or was it more his highly-attuned senses - a change in tone and timbre of Cassian's voice, the sounds as he loaded his weapon, the hesitant sound and impact of his gait - that indicated the "dark side" emotions of someone who was not being honest, and was about to do something they did not want to do?

Regardless, my point remains - flipping the switch with the Force at the end, thus demonstrating that he could use it all along, would undercut the character.

Last edited:
Chirrhut, as one whose force sensitive, taking down stormtroopers makes a lot more sense than ewoks taking them out with wooden sticks and rocks. Imperial armor I would think is probably most effective against blaster fire. A modern soldier with full body armor isn't invulnerable to a guy with a spear, for example.

I didn't have a problem with his eastern fighting style either. After all folks like Darth Maul were already doing wushu with wires which was way more "Hong Kongy" than here (other than the fact that he's played by a Chinese man).

I do like the concept of him being force-sensitive without having to be an academy-trained Jedi.

Its not the fighting style per se, its the dance style choregreophy.

All the prequel duels used lots of martial arts but the fights were more organic. It was more like watching a fight between people trained in those arts. This scene was way over orchestrated where you can almost see each actor waiting for the next to get in position. Its a trademark of a lot of the Win Chun style Hong Kong movies.

I agree on the force sensitive without being trained, ultimately I really liked the 2 characters and thought they brought a lot to the party.

He was force sensitive - he could see the force darkly around Cassian when he was planning to snipe Papa Erso. He could not USE the force to do stuff though.

Thats why I figured he'd have a great moment... the force chose to let him use it in that moment... same way he could walk through the blaster fire. I wanted both. Makes it most of the way, but is stopped somehow... continues chanting and then reaches out and finally gets to use the force full on. Dies with a smile.

Thats why I figured he'd have a great moment... the force chose to let him use it in that moment... same way he could walk through the blaster fire. I wanted both. Makes it most of the way, but is stopped somehow... continues chanting and then reaches out and finally gets to use the force full on. Dies with a smile.

Or, he does that, but its stray blaster fire that hits the switch and he dies happy thinking he got to use the force full on. As he lays dying, his last words "Do or Do not...aarrgghh".

"Dying with a smile" doesn't really seem to fit tonally with the rest of the film, IMO. I would not call "Rogue One" nihilistic, but other than the relationship between Jyn and her dad, it's not a particularly sentimental film. And I don't mean that as a criticism.

I could see a "dying with a smile" story beat playing better in the larger more high-adventure "Skywalker/Solo/Rey" storyline.

Yes. My son who's 7 was devistated by Jyn dying. Especially since we just named our new dog "Jyn". Lol

They could have spared them and sent them back to hiding or something to explain why they weren't in A New Hope.

My guess is that the creators know how critical Star Wars fans are and figured the only way the fan masses will accept these characters exclusion from ANH is that they all must die. Lol

I haven't felt this obsessed with a Star Wars film since ESB. Sure, I've been obsessed with the toys, the merch, the props from the films (especially TFA) but the film, ie. the story and everything up on the screen itself? Not in a long time. It's such a good feeling. I don't feel like I have to convince myself I like this film like I did with TFA to the deal with all the derivative aspects. Can't wait to see it again.

Exactly how I feel. 48 hours after seeing it, I'm still constantly going through it in my mind.

I don't know what it is about Rogue One (possibly that last 10 minutes has something to do with it!), but I just need to back and experience it again, as soon as possible.

Very few films have had this sort of effect on me (I think Star Trek 2009) was possibly the last.

I haven't felt this obsessed with a Star Wars film since ESB. Sure, I've been obsessed with the toys, the merch, the props from the films (especially TFA) but the film, ie. the story and everything up on the screen itself? Not in a long time. It's such a good feeling. I don't feel like I have to convince myself I like this film like I did with TFA to the deal with all the derivative aspects. Can't wait to see it again.

This 100% .... still high on it from Friday....can't wait until Christmas vacation to see it again!

You park that far away if you do not know what you are up against. Traps, anti-spacecraft defense, a small army of ewoks, etc...

Yeah, I'd buy that argument if they weren't walking completely exposed across an open field. Like maybe landed further away behind a rock formation, behind a hill, or in valley in those mountains right next to their home, etc. Then, you tactically approached, you know, reconnaissance like, to see how many ewoks you're up against before they know you're there and who's with you.................

Last edited:
This was in the garden, this morning, after a snow fall...must be a sign: see Rogue One I must! IMG_20161217_120126_hdr_edit_edit.jpg

I think this part is fine. These are people that are closer to the force than most (although not jedi) Obviously he was force sensitive since he could see things, etc. I don't think it is out of order that as focused as he was we some shots miss him so he could get the job done.

Then why didnt he use the force to push the lever? Or that stupid stick of his? :lol

- - - Updated - - -

am I the only one who thought he should have successfully used the force to push the lever?

Die successfully using the force with a smile on his face?

Im telling you man...He was using his Monk powers... he reached enlightenment...I mean is one with the force, even though he isnt a jedi...:rolleyes

I find this outlook very curious, because Im the opposite. Aside from seeing how some of the creatures are made, and the end with Darth Vader, I wouldnt really care to see this again. I didnt find the acting all the great, hell, I thought the russian spy dude acted better then Jyn, she kind of just had a stoic look on her face the whole time. I dont know, since I already knew the outcome of the story, the journey wasnt all that impressive to me. *shrug* I liked TFA awakens way more. Seemed more exciting to me.

As you can tell, I dont know how to do multiple quotes in one post. :$

Did Chirrut's dialogue clearly indicate that he was Force-sensitive, or was it more his highly-attuned senses

Well, **Chirrut** thought he was! :) He said something like "the Force reveals a darkness around someone who's about to kill". So however he sensed it, HE thought it was through the Force.

Space battles were spectacular. Loved seeing Blue squadron. Awesome to see the rebels and rebel pilots dishing it out but good for once. The Hammerhead cruiser scene was a very cool idea and great to see it jump form rebels to rogue. Much less enthusiastic about the new stormtrooper types.
Finally showed why so many truly feared Vader. That was just terrifying. When he held that fleet trooper to the ceiling then sliced him midsection while still frozen up there was brutal. It was all brutal really.
More rebellion action figures please. Most definitely blue squadron. Love it!

- - - Updated - - -

Where was the scene when Jyn walks to edge of platform and tie fighter pops up. Anyone know who was supposed to be in that tie fighter.

Just got back from seeing it for the second time, some musings:
- saw it in 3D first time. 2D was MUCH better. The 3D literally added nothing and took away from the sweeping and detailed visuals.
- I was more emotional on the second viewing! By the time Vader storms the corridor my heart was beating fast!
- First half flew by much faster and smoother it seemed.
- Technical stuff like the CGI Tarkin and Leia were better in 2D
- Chemistry between Casian and Erso at the end screened better on second viewing. Sure, they were no Han and Leia ESB, but I didn't want them to be either.
- Space battle really was epic! I want a Bandai scale model of that Hammerhead Corvette#

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back