The Walking Dead - Season 6 Discussion

Now, I loved this episode, there was some great moments in there. But did I really just see them solve the big zombie exodus out the quarry problem by burning a big load of gas to attract the walkers into the fire and burn to death? AKA what every said they could have done with a few molotovs into the quarry right back at the start of the season and avoided all this mayhem in the first place!

In order for that idea to have worked they would have needed lots of tinder to dump into the quarry in order to start a good fire, and by lots of tinder I mean hundreds of pounds worth in order to get sufficient coverage of the quarry. Then there's the matter of the attention that such a large fire would generate, a massive fire in the the quarry would have generated tons of smoke which would have potentially drawn unwanted attention towards the general area of Alexandria.

At any rate, even had they found the tinder to light the quarry on fire and not cared about the smoke it would have been moot anyhow since the trucks blocking the path in and out of the quarry would still have fallen and all of those walkers would still have gotten out.

At any rate, even had they found the tinder to light the quarry on fire and not cared about the smoke it would have been moot anyhow since the trucks blocking the path in and out of the quarry would still have fallen and all of those walkers would still have gotten out.
This. As we all know, the only thing scarier than a mindless corpse with an insatiable hunger for flesh shambling towards you is a mindless corpse with an insatiable hunger for flesh shambling towards you while on fire.

The gas problem aside, I would think swinging a chainsaw around you would be as much a danger to yourself and everyone around you as you would to the zombies..

The chain only moves when you activate it. So unless you're a real idiot there's not really a way to cut yourself. People were making the same argument for Michonne's sword, but it would work. The worst problem (aside from finding usable gas), would be throwing a chain in the middle of a fight and having to switch weapons. I'd take the chainsaw before trying to kill a walker with a pocket knife, but they're doing it.

This. As we all know, the only thing scarier than a mindless corpse with an insatiable hunger for flesh shambling towards you is a mindless corpse with an insatiable hunger for flesh shambling towards you while on fire.

We've even seen that on the show when Carol and Tyreese are at the house after the prison in "The Grove", pretty scary

In order for that idea to have worked they would have needed lots of tinder to dump into the quarry in order to start a good fire, and by lots of tinder I mean hundreds of pounds worth in order to get sufficient coverage of the quarry. Then there's the matter of the attention that such a large fire would generate, a massive fire in the the quarry would have generated tons of smoke which would have potentially drawn unwanted attention towards the general area of Alexandria.

Pish! Because:
Walkers make good tinder.

Everything that happened in Alexandria in that episode could have gone down in the quarry.

In there you got thousands of walkers all in fairly close proximity to each other. All are wearing old dried out clothes, these would go up very easily. Residual fats left in the body would also burn very nicely as a fuel.

As we saw in the episode, walkers are attracted to fire above all else, even turning away from a group of people right in front of them. One or two molotovs in the quarry at the furthest point from the exit trucks would have kept them moving away from the way out. Smaller fires over a period of time, once the truck fell in and it was a bit safer, they could've gone in and attacked the line of walkers from behind, just as they did as they went towards the lake.

All plans have pros and cons, a fire might bring attention (but they have ended up doing this anyway!) Their plan of leading the walkers away meant that the base was left with all the best fighters out of the place for a prolonged period of time leaving the place undefended. And the random variables of herding a horde, you just can't foresee and plan whats going to go fubar there.

dude! i was thinking the same thing! i was watching this past episode with my who's a hardcore fan and read all the books. i said i would have gone Ash all over them, and he brought up a good point the chain saw makes too much noise and would bring too many of them.

which now brings up another point of mine... how many zombies do u think were pounding on that giant wall? one scene where dixon and abraham and that chick were driving them down the road it looked like 5,000 if not more. so now after this episode it proves that large number doesn't oppose a threat to them, so whats the point of the show now?

maybe things would have been different if dixon didnt light the lake on fire though? I'm not a hater of the show, i wish i could get into it because its all my friends talk about. but I'm just not digging the writing, the violence and makeup department is out of this world!

i also wondered how much time and artist it took to put all the makeup on the zombies that surrounded the 2 guys on the dumpers... those all look practical to me, that was allot of zombies around them. i really respect the makeup department
I agree with you that the walkers are no longer much of a threat but i disagree that the show has no where to go, People are going to start becoming more of a problem as weve seen with the Termites, wolves and now Negans group, and in my opinion thats even scarier.

Dont get me wrong walkers will still play a massive part but now it is time to stop running and start building a new life

Pish! Because:

Everything that happened in Alexandria in that episode could have gone down in the quarry.

In there you got thousands of walkers all in fairly close proximity to each other. All are wearing old dried out clothes, these would go up very easily. Residual fats left in the body would also burn very nicely as a fuel.

As we saw in the episode, walkers are attracted to fire above all else, even turning away from a group of people right in front of them. One or two molotovs in the quarry at the furthest point from the exit trucks would have kept them moving away from the way out. Smaller fires over a period of time, once the truck fell in and it was a bit safer, they could've gone in and attacked the line of walkers from behind, just as they did as they went towards the lake.

All plans have pros and cons, a fire might bring attention (but they have ended up doing this anyway!) Their plan of leading the walkers away meant that the base was left with all the best fighters out of the place for a prolonged period of time leaving the place undefended. And the random variables of herding a horde, you just can't foresee and plan whats going to go fubar there.
The smoke from that pile would've been like a beacon to every human in a 5 mile radius, not what you want.

If they had managed to lead them away then there would of been no noise/ light to draw in more, alot of you seem to forget they had to do it this way because their original plan failed

- - - Updated - - -

think we will see negan soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon they'll save him for the midseason, it was a while after this attack in the comics that he showed up, we just got mentions of him

The smoke from that pile would've been like a beacon to every human in a 5 mile radius, not what you want.

If they had managed to lead them away then there would of been no noise/ light to draw in more, alot of you seem to forget they had to do it this way because their original plan failed

But they didn't manage to lead them away, that's the point.

As I said too many extraneous variables outside of your control or even foreseeable.

The fire in the pit plan, whats the first thing you plan for, the smoke will attract people. So all your best soldiers are within the walls on full alert with a full on defensive strategy, not all narrowly cheating death out in the middle of nowhere. Also at no point are a few thousand walkers suddenly loose on your doorstep, they're on fire in the pit.

Had Rick, Darryl, Glenn, Abe etc all been home when the wolves came they would have barely got a foot in the door, past the ram raid with the truck. Neagen's men managed to find those 3 without too much trouble, it would/will only have been a matter of time till they find Alexandria. Someone is always going to find you, they have at every other turn in the show. Set the beacon away and be ready for them. Strike fast, strike hard, strike first. You could even get lucky, a few gangs come across each other on the way to find you, they're likely to thin out their numbers before they get to the gates.

In real world scenario you'd see the smoke, head towards it and find a high pile of burned walkers. Are you thinking, there must be a large, resource rich community somewhere round here so we'll go all out looking for it, or someone came by here, saw the walkers and did everyone a favour by lighting them up? Some will go looking others will just go back to their business.

Nearly forgot, now they've done that anyway, they have a depleted community, less of a stronghold when the walls fell. They've massively weakened themselves and set the beacon off.

The problem with the torching the walker pit is like I've said, it's a very large pit and it would have taken a lot of fuel dumped into their to get a good fire going, a bunch of walkers aren't going to cut it as tinder. Setting just a few walkers on fire isn't going to set all of the rest on fire and start a massive blaze, humans just aren't that combustible. Sure you could toss some gas into the pit but you wouldn't be able throw it in very far and there are far better things to use gas for than to start a fire, even one as useful as that. Wood and other readily available flammables would work if they're dry enough but the problem once again comes to finding enough and being able to distribute all over the pit instead of just around the perimeter.

Even assuming that they could find enough fuel and overcome the problem of getting into the areas they can't reach it still wouldn't have worked for the simple matter of the trucks falling and letting the walkers out. Turning the quarry into a massive bbq pit would have taken time, more time than they had and the walkers still would have gotten out because fires take time to really get going and they would have broken out before you really had a chance to get the fire really going. Remember, a burned walker is still a menace, for fire to take out a walker you need it to burn for a long time, it's not enough to just burn it to a crisp, you need to burn until it's ash or at least nothing more than bone.

You don't need to evenly distribute it, they are attracted to it, start it and they will come. They will spread it amongst themselves.
The truck issue is moot, you got a fire going on the other side of the pit that's were they're headed. As shown in this episode, every last walker turned away from its large group of potential dinner that was noisy and highly animated and went straight to the fire. That's their universe rules, not mine. so the truck falls, they head to the fire, you sweep in behind.

Getting some other combustibles down there would be better. But trust me, a body will burn up just nice, especially a highly dehydrated one. Once the fats heat up and take a hold that thing will smoulder the meat away to nothing.

I'm not talking about the fire taking all the walkers out in one huge glorious blaze but you will take out a good number and seriously slow down a lot more. Then you have a much easier task clearing them out.

You don't need to evenly distribute it, they are attracted to it, start it and they will come. They will spread it amongst themselves.
The truck issue is moot, you got a fire going on the other side of the pit that's were they're headed. As shown in this episode, every last walker turned away from its large group of potential dinner that was noisy and highly animated and went straight to the fire. That's their universe rules, not mine. so the truck falls, they head to the fire, you sweep in behind.

Getting some other combustibles down there would be better. But trust me, a body will burn up just nice, especially a highly dehydrated one. Once the fats heat up and take a hold that thing will smoulder the meat away to nothing.

I'm not talking about the fire taking all the walkers out in one huge glorious blaze but you will take out a good number and seriously slow down a lot more. Then you have a much easier task clearing them out.

According to the Talking Dead, ever since Season 4, the older Walkers sight degraded to the point where all they can see is light and movement (this is why the group of Walkers approached the house that Daryl and Beth burnt down. You also see it happen last season during Morgan's story, where the Walker comes through the fire). Sol it makes sense that the huge fireball and pond being on fire would lure Walkers to it.

According to the Talking Dead, ever since Season 4, the older Walkers sight degraded to the point where all they can see is light and movement (this is why the group of Walkers approached the house that Daryl and Beth burnt down. You also see it happen last season during Morgan's story, where the Walker comes through the fire). Sol it makes sense that the huge fireball and pond being on fire would lure Walkers to it.

As it would in the quarry.

Man, I am SO behind on this show. I still haven't even finished the first half of the season, but given that I've read well past this point in the comics (mostly), I recognize a lot of it.

What blew me away, though, was watching TV and all of a sudden I see "If you missed last week's The Walking Dead..." and basically spoiled the ENTIRE EPISODE, like, with Coorrrrrl's eye, Jessie getting eaten, Negan's dudes exploding, etc. It was nuts. No spoiler warning either! haha

But they didn't manage to lead them away, that's the point.

As I said too many extraneous variables outside of your control or even foreseeable.

The fire in the pit plan, whats the first thing you plan for, the smoke will attract people. So all your best soldiers are within the walls on full alert with a full on defensive strategy, not all narrowly cheating death out in the middle of nowhere. Also at no point are a few thousand walkers suddenly loose on your doorstep, they're on fire in the pit.

Had Rick, Darryl, Glenn, Abe etc all been home when the wolves came they would have barely got a foot in the door, past the ram raid with the truck. Neagen's men managed to find those 3 without too much trouble, it would/will only have been a matter of time till they find Alexandria. Someone is always going to find you, they have at every other turn in the show. Set the beacon away and be ready for them. Strike fast, strike hard, strike first. You could even get lucky, a few gangs come across each other on the way to find you, they're likely to thin out their numbers before they get to the gates.

In real world scenario you'd see the smoke, head towards it and find a high pile of burned walkers. Are you thinking, there must be a large, resource rich community somewhere round here so we'll go all out looking for it, or someone came by here, saw the walkers and did everyone a favour by lighting them up? Some will go looking others will just go back to their business.

Nearly forgot, now they've done that anyway, they have a depleted community, less of a stronghold when the walls fell. They've massively weakened themselves and set the beacon off.

I see your point but you atleast have to agree that the plan to lead them away would have worked out better for everyone had the Wolves not attacked, an event that was completely unforeseeable, they had no idea someone was after them.(quick edit, they had an idea but didnt know the wolves knew where they were)

If they had lit the pit then they would definitely have someone after them whether it be more walkers or people but if you lead them in a direction away from your camp and leave them going that direction, no one is going go "oh there must be people over there"

I will say tho in the comics the whole quarry and burning the walkers in Alexandria never happened, In the comics Ricks group just goes postal and takes the lot of them out, not sure why they changed it...

I see your point but you atleast have to agree that the plan to lead them away would have worked out better for everyone had the Wolves not attacked, an event that was completely unforeseeable, they had no idea someone was after them.(quick edit, they had an idea but didnt know the wolves knew where they were)

I do agree, completely. But it is dependant on a lot of things you don't know are gonna happen, not happening.
If they had lit the pit then they would definitely have someone after them whether it be more walkers or people but if you lead them in a direction away from your camp and leave them going that direction, no one is going go "oh there must be people over there"

I know, but that is something you are fully aware might happen and can take strides to deal with if/when it does.

I just remember the 1st episode, lots of people on the net (even here) were saying why didn't they just light it up and it struck me as funny that that's pretty much exactly what they did, after a long diversion.

I'm not trying to say the fire plan is the best option, especially in real world terms. I doubt I would want to chance sending up smoke signals that way, but n that world right now, with hindsight, I think they are likely to be better off right now if they had just done that in the first instance.

I will say tho in the comics the whole quarry and burning the walkers in Alexandria never happened, In the comics Ricks group just goes postal and takes the lot of them out, not sure why they changed it...

I think it was just to make it more believable, a small group against a horde that big, the exhaustion would see them off before the walkers did.

Would an RPG fired at a lake even detonate? Doesn't it have to hit a hard target? Seemed like a waste of an awesome weapon.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back