Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I did get some feedback directly from the man though :)

ScnyxE0.jpg

New films. New group of young heroes. New font. Why not? Of all the things to get in a tizzy about.

Obviously you have no clue what Star Wars films are all about

Got to be honest – I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I still don't even really see - or care about - the difference. Which puts me in the camp with 99.9% of the rest of the audience watching these films.

And I'm not pointing at you but at fandom in general – all this bitching about how TFA slavishly copied the original films, didn't do anything new, didn't step out of the comfort zone – but now people are bitching because a font is not exactly the same as the one used in 1983. The filmmakers really can't win with this crowd and IMHO should not feel the need to try to.

M

It's about staying consistent, besides we all do it on the RPF. The star wars crawl is like a digital(they used to be a real thing, shot with film) movie prop. How would you feel if Luke's graflex would all of the sudden turn into a baguette?
baguette.jpg

But hey, 99% of the worlds population don't care about star wars films so lets replace Mark Hamill digitally with a bowl of random breakfast cereal because you know, who cares?

Is that crawl real? EMO son. EMO? That can't be real.

Don't be silly. A quick mock-up I did. All sorts of things is still "wrong" with it :lol

Love it that Rian said to chill. There are differences in the Skywalker saber hilt from ANH to ESB and als0 in scene to scene and shot to shot if you really look.

Oh no, I've been unmanned. I can never watch Star Wars again. Oh noooooooo. Okay. Had to get the sarcasm out. Anyways. Okay, well why don't you school me. What exactly am I missing in what I love about Star Wars that I am not bothered by the opening crawl? Cause don't get me wrong. I love Star Wars and have for about as long as I can remember. It is a fun space adventure for me and all sorts of other things I am not going to get into right now. I just don't understand the bother about the opening crawl. Telling me I just don't get Star Wars doesn't really explain it? Is it really all about the consistency? I don't think changing some text is tantamount to changing a lightsaber into a lengthy piece of delicious bread or changing Luke into cereal. (Were you hungry when you wrote your responses?)

I did get some feedback directly from the man though :)

http://i.imgur.com/ScnyxE0.jpg

It's about staying consistent, besides we all do it on the RPF. The star wars crawl is like a digital(they used to be a real thing, shot with film) movie prop. How would you feel if Luke's graflex would all of the sudden turn into a baguette?
View attachment 701912

But hey, 99% of the worlds population don't care about star wars films so lets replace Mark Hamill digitally with a bowl of random breakfast cereal because you know, who cares?

Don't be silly. A quick mock-up I did. All sorts of things is still "wrong" with it :lol

Yeah, I get what you're saying about it being in the nature of this forum to nitpick. But you support it with some pretty extreme examples that would be instantly noticeable and problematic to the general audience-unlike this font issue where, to even a long time fan, it's just not very noticeable. Maybe if they had instead chosen Comic Sans or Times New Roman, I could see the hubbub - but that's not the case.

M

ETA - as an example of something I do care about – though I'm not overly excited about it – I do wish that the TFA saber had not been a mishmash of versions seen in prior films. But that's because the story is very clear that it is supposed to be the exact same saber we last saw on screen in ESB. So, to my mind, it should be the exact same. But I don't remember anything in the stories of these films that claimed that the font for the crawl was meant to be the exact same. It's not a continuity issue and the consistency issue is minimal.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about it being in the nature of this forum to nitpick. But you support it with some pretty extreme examples that would be instantly noticeable and problematic to the general audience-unlike this font issue where, to even a long time fan, it's just not very noticeable. Maybe if they had instead chosen Comic Sans or Times New Roman, I could see the hubbub - but that's not the case.

M
Here's a style thing that bothers me.

I really hate the idea that episode 8 is going to begin the moment episode 7 ended. I also hate the idea that rogue 1 ended at the beginning of episode 4.

I love the time passage between all of the Lucas films. That's part of what makes them space operas. And frankly, it's what makes the opening crawl so essential.

If this new movie begins with Rey looking at Luke, why do we even NEED an opening crawl?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Here's a style thing that bothers me.

I really hate the idea that episode 8 is going to begin the moment episode 7 ended. I also hate the idea that rogue 1 ended at the beginning of episode 4.

I love the time passage between all of the Lucas films. That's part of what makes them space operas. And frankly, it's what makes the opening crawl so essential.

If this new movie begins with Rey looking at Luke, why do we even NEED an opening crawl?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

See, this I agree with – though I know it is a point that is not shared by too many here. Amidst all of the criticism of TFA for not doing enough new (some of that criticism very merited) I actually appreciated that, as far as visual tone, style, and overall format, it hued very close to the original trilogy films.

I get the desire to do different things in this universe – such as having one film the lead right into another – but, to me, those can be reserved for the "side films". As Astroboy pointed out, and as I stated elsewhere in this thread, there are just certain conventions that make a Star Wars film a Star Wars film, and I would like to see them maintained at least for the central films. Time passage is one, The crawl with the pan down to a planet is another, etc. just like with an Indiana Jones film – there are certain conventions that make it what it is, such as the action filled opening, followed by some calm expository scenes, and then the overall flow of the film. Without those hallmarks, you might as well be watching "Sahara" or "Jewel of the Nile".

Frankly, I thought that the cliffhanger at the end of the last film was a bad idea as executed. Sure, the middle film of each of the prior trilogies ended with loose threads – but at the moment the film closed, there was a sense of "a calm moment". By ending this film with two characters staring at each other – meaning that a major plot point would happen in the next few moments when one of them spoke – they were pretty much locked into picking up the next film at that exact point. It would've been better if they ended the film as Rey left on the Falcon (the cliffhanger being whether Luke was really where the map said he was) or extending the last scene a bit to have Luke actually say something that would tide everyone over (for example, "Rey, i've been waiting for you. I have a lot to teach you" - then the next film could begin with her training in progress, allowing for the passage of time, and start with some big conversation between the two of them.)

M

M

ETA - as an example of something I do care about – though I'm not overly excited about it – I do wish that the TFA saber had not been a mishmash of versions seen in prior films. But that's because the story is very clear that it is supposed to be the exact same saber we last saw on screen in ESB. So, to my mind, it should be the exact same. But I don't remember anything in the stories of these films that claimed that the font for the crawl was meant to be the exact same. It's not a continuity issue and the consistency issue is minimal.

You guys say this is if the ANH & ESB saber hilts were 100 percent exactly the same across those two films. They weren't. Even changing in scenes/shots. Usually noticable if you pause and freeze frame.

New films. New group of young heroes. New font. Why not? Of all the things to get in a tizzy about.

Hey, at least its not in emoji.

View attachment 701912
Oh là là

I had a thought. Bear with me for a minute.

Inverted poetry

Last thing we see in Rogue One is a father standing on a precipice in the darkness watching his daughter escape. They never see each other in that moment and Both of them unknowing and unaware of their connection. Leias escape means hope. Snatching victory out of Vaders dark.

Last thing we see in force awakens is a father standing on a precipice in the light, watching his daughter return. They see each other in that moment and Both of them immediately aware of their connection. Reys return means Lukes mission to reestablish the Jedi can happen?

Things that keep me awake at night.

But we don't know for sure who Rey's parents are do we? I think I am also in the camp that she has to be Luke's daughter. But why don't Han or Leia seem to know her? We don't know how long Luke has been missing, plus, Leia said that she sent Ben away (surely to train with Luke). Perhaps Luke was doing all this training far away. We don't even know if Han and Leia had seen Luke for who-knows-how-long before Ben turns evil. Maybe Luke had a daughter in that time and when it all went wrong, that's when he leaves Rey on Jakku.

But that still doesn't fly. Why would he leave her alone on a desert planet to grow up a scavenger? So maybe not.

There's no way she could be a Kenobi. Obi Wan passed on to the Force over thirty years ago. Rey is not that old. Unless...Oh God, I hope they don't make her another one of those Force babies.

But we don't know for sure who Rey's parents are do we? I think I am also in the camp that she has to be Luke's daughter. But why don't Han or Leia seem to know her? We don't know how long Luke has been missing, plus, Leia said that she sent Ben away (surely to train with Luke). Perhaps Luke was doing all this training far away. We don't even know if Han and Leia had seen Luke for who-knows-how-long before Ben turns evil. Maybe Luke had a daughter in that time and when it all went wrong, that's when he leaves Rey on Jakku.

But that still doesn't fly. Why would he leave her alone on a desert planet to grow up a scavenger? So maybe not.

There's no way she could be a Kenobi. Obi Wan passed on to the Force over thirty years ago. Rey is not that old. Unless...Oh God, I hope they don't make her another one of those Force babies.

There was talk that Kenobi's daughter is her mum.....& that Luke was her father.....perhaps Luke didn't know he even had Rey & it had nothing to do with her being abandoned.....& the look on Luke's face when he sees Rey at the end of TFA is because she resembles her mum????

Having both parents strong with the Force could be an explanation why Rey is so strong,......the Jedi rule about no nooky could be to stop Force users breeding & making 'super jedi's' LOL

J

Having both parents strong with the Force could be an explanation why Rey is so strong,......the Jedi rule about no nooky could be to stop Force users breeding & making 'super jedi's' LOL

J

LOL. The anti-nookie rule for Jedi sorta sucks if your a Jedi. I mean, they gotta have some form of stress relief after those frustrating trade negotiations.

Polish your lightsaber?

is the no nookie rule cannon? was it ever? we know jedi aren't allowed to "love" but many people hook up, have one night stands etc etc, and they aren't in love. doesnt this mean jedi's can get their rocks off once and while as long as they dont take the relationship any further?

is the no nookie rule cannon? was it ever? we know jedi aren't allowed to "love" but many people hook up, have one night stands etc etc, and they aren't in love. doesnt this mean jedi's can get their rocks off once and while as long as they dont take the relationship any further?
I don't know about the no nookie rule... I thought it was just supposed to be no forming relationships with people wether they be seen as romantic or just friends/family. Maybe it is though and I'm just tripping lol

I don't know about the no nookie rule... I thought it was just supposed to be no forming relationships with people wether they be seen as romantic or just friends/family. Maybe it is though and I'm just tripping lol

So maybe the Jedi's use 'No-Strings-Attached apps????

Cool,....this makes Jedi's cool again

J

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back