Ant-Man (Post-release)

I really liked it, and thought the things that matter for the future were put in place well (mostly the cast being great) but it wasn't a home-run like Guardians was for me. That said, I did see it with my girlfriend who is definitely suffering from some superhero fatigue, so the anxiety of whether or not she would like it may have tinted my experience a bit.

One thing that did bother me though was that a lot of times it looked like the actors weren't even in the same scene. It was like every single shot was a cut back and forth from one extreme closeup to another. If this was intentional to sell the "scale" of the movie and Ant-Man's powers then that's pretty cool, but otherwise I felt a little claustrophobic at times, like I was up Paul Rudd's nose. Small gripe, but it reminded me of Thor1 and all the dutch angles.

I gotta say, for a woman in her mid-to-late sixties in 1989, Peggy looked damned amazing.
I'm still holding out hope that we will see some kind of Infinity Formula in play, and that Black Widow is actually much older than she looks, so that could be in play for Peggy as well. But in all seriousness that 1989 scene was one of my favorite parts of the film.

I'm still holding out hope that we will see some kind of Infinity Formula in play, and that Black Widow is actually much older than she looks, so that could be in play for Peggy as well. But in all seriousness that 1989 scene was one of my favorite parts of the film.

I doubt it's in play with Peggy, otherwise she wouldn't have been on her death bed, stricken with dementia in TWS.

Grr, this movie. It's so refreshing, so nicely fitted with the MCU, so much fun, it pains me to say I really really liked it despite my qualms. Story wise, this movie cames off like someone used TVTropes as a literal writing guide. They were almost palpable in execution. As for the Grr part? Alright! *cracks knuckles*

3...2...1... GO!

• Super Smart Action Girl's role is squarely focused on her relationship with the male characters? √
  • Super Smart Action Girl doesn't believe in the male hero's abilities who than learns to accept him later on? The Lego Mo- Er, √.
  • Super Smart Action Girl leans to chill out and fall in love with the real male hero of the film? The Le- GAWDDANGIT! √
  • Male characters insist that Super Smart Action Girl is vital to the plan when she is in fact more useless* than a Stan Lee cameo? √
  • Fridging female** characters to motivate the male hero into action? √
  • Have one of the most well established members of the Avengers outside the movies be reduced so much that she wasn't worthy of an on-screen face? √
  • Damsel in distress? √
  • Have the male hero succeed where another Super Smart Action Girl failed? √
  • Kevin Feige says "our films have been full of smart, intelligent, powerful women.” close to a Marvel Movie Premier? √fi°⁄‹‚·$#!€⁄›·@%^

Three and a half years... I hate you Kevin and your Spiderman too.

*She's there to distract the bad guy. Why can't Pym do this himself?
** These flying ants are supposed to be female. Yep. Marvel is so biased they'll gender flip all the ants to be male characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it last night and overall quite enjoyed it. I thought it was fun and had some great moments in it. The Thomas the Tank Engine bit, for example lost NONE of its punch even after seeing it multiple times in trailers.

I don't have any problem with past Wasp's fate, because I could see this being Marvel's way of opening the door to introducing the Microverse and having Hope rescue her mother. However... I think this could have very easily been a Wasp film rather than a Scott Lang Ant-Man film with Janet's comic origin story:

Janet van Dyne was born in Cresskill, New Jersey, the socialite daughter of wealthy scientist Vernon van Dyne. When her father is killed by an alien entity unleashed during one of his experiments, Janet turns to his associate Dr. Henry "Hank" Pym for aid and convinces him to help her. In order to avenge her father’s death, she undergoes a biochemical procedure that grants her the ability to grow wings upon shrinking under four feet tall and uses a supply of “Pym particles” by which to change her size. Together, she and Ant-Man defeat the alien and avenge her father. Janet decides to remain as Wasp and be Hank’s partner as she has fallen in love with, though Hank initially rejects her feelings due to the similarities between her and his first wife that had been murdered.

Tell me that wouldn't have been a fun movie.

At any rate, I did very much enjoy the movie and I was pleased with the creative use of the Ant-Man powers that were on display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Far, far better than Age Of Ultron. Very funny and perfectly cast. Luis was awesome! Love the way he tells a story, not to mention he probaly is a superhero with his one punch knockouts!

Worst parts of the film for me...

1) Evangiline Lilly's haircut.

2) 2nd worst ant death in a film. RIP Antony.

Far, far better than Age Of Ultron. Very funny and perfectly cast. Luis was awesome! Love the way he tells a story, not to mention he probaly is a superhero with his one punch knockouts!

Worst parts of the film for me...

1) Evangiline Lilly's haircut.

2) 2nd worst ant death in a film. RIP Antony.

Second worst? What's first?!

The Thomas the Tank Engine bit, for example lost NONE of its punch even after seeing it multiple times in trailers.

Picked up my screen accurate prop today. Well, I took it from my 6 year old. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
I was wondering why they brought back Cate Blanchett's wig from Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Is it an elf thing?

Haha! I know right? What about that restroom death scene? Wow. That outs to shame any other Marvel death so far, and even tops Jurassic World's flying Dino/Mossaur death scene. Poor guy. Turned into a blob of goo and flushed away like my childhood dreams.

Solid film overall particularly considering the production drama, though I wouldn't put this among my MCU faves. The action and premise were refreshing for a superhero flick, CGI looked seamless (with a smaller budget no less), and Paul Rudd was pretty amazing as to be expected. Aside from him and Pena though, I found most of the other performances uninspiring. A lot of plot points were fairly formulaic, common in Marvel films. This one felt like the first Iron Man but lacked the same coolness and charm. I just didn't find myself dying to see it again after I walked out of the theater.

This movie did establish itself as firmly in the MCU without sacrificing the story. Loved the fight with Falcon and those end credit scenes :eek :thumbsup plus references to the Avengers, Stark family, Hydra, and Spidey for the first time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back