Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

yes buddy, now sitting back and thinking that is a big deal, i didnt know raddus already left the planet... maybe i guess we could say leias ship docked with raddus' ship while the battle was going on... for what reason and why? that gets tricky...

That's what I was saying the other day. Leia's mission was to get Obi-Wan, there was no reason for the Tantive to be at Scarif.

That's what I was saying the other day. Leia's mission was to get Obi-Wan, there was no reason for the Tantive to be at Scarif.

aaahhhhh.... yes its all coming together now. why the heck would her ship be on raddus' ship.... oh man all the plot holes lol

When the Tantive IV is captured she tells Vader, "I am a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan...", so how could she explain why her ship was in the Outer Rim near Tatooine? A lot of this stuff falls apart if you look at it too closely.

aaahhhhh.... yes its all coming together now. why the heck would her ship be on raddus' ship.... oh man all the plot holes lol

It can easily be said that the Tantive 4 just got caught up in the action before they could go get Kenobi. I can imagine Leia making the decision to stay with the fleet for the chance to get the battle plans.

If you've read any of the new canon she definiteyl does not shy away from ANY action!

It can easily be said that the Tantive 4 just got caught up in the action before they could go get Kenobi. I can imagine Leia making the decision to stay with the fleet for the chance to get the battle plans.

If you've read any of the new canon she definiteyl does not shy away from ANY action!

i can defiantly see her disobeying orders and helping out the fleet. again I've only seen the movie once, so this is all starting to make sense guys. hell i may go tomorrow night to see it

- - - Updated - - -

When the Tantive IV is captured she tells Vader, "I am a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan...", so how could she explain why her ship was in the Outer Rim near Tatooine? A lot of this stuff falls apart if you look at it too closely.

i watched ANH last night, fell asleep to it while i was on therpf and avoided the ball drop. then i watched it again this morning, and picked up on exactly what you are saying. vader saw the freak'n ship launch from raddus' (i gotta check his name see if im spelling it correct) ship.

I have no problem really with anything else, but this is a BIG plot hole.

I touched on that earlier, my best explanation:

Laspector said:
My guess would be because when most people get caught red handed doing something they know they are going to get into a crap load of trouble for, they are going to try to lie their way out of it, no matter how foolish it makes them look.

This, pretty much.

"If word of this gets out it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate." I think Leia and Antilles were counting on this, and had to stick to their story. Vader knows different but he has to prove it as far as the Senate is concerned.

The only part that bothers me is why the Tantive was in the hold of the ship over Scarif, when Leia's mission was to go to Tatooine?

My theory: the decision was made to use the Tantive as the getaway ship, as it was the fastest ship in their fleet. Bail probably had nothing to do with this, it was likely an audible call by Leia after Bail had already left for Alderaan. The blockade runner, however, is not very tough in a head to head fight, as shown by the other one getting destroyed fairly easily earlier in the battle. Therefore, they chose to shelter the Tantive inside the tougher capital ship until the plans were secured.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I thought it was a remarkable achievement and know of many people who were not aware of Peter Cushing and thought it was a real person.

Cushing I thought was extremely well done. Even his eyes had that glazed over, senior citizen look to them. Leia on the other hand...looked WAY too uncanny valley, too much out of a video game. They didnt even need that either, as many have stated.

When did you see it, if I may ask? Regarding my post above about a possible VFX tweak.

I saw it on Wed, Dec 28. It might be possible other things like distance and angle to the screen and projection brightness can affect someone's perception. As some others have mentioned, it also seems to be connected to how familiar people are with the actors. My girlfriend who saw it at the same time thought Tarkin seemed pretty real (she is not very familiar with Cushing but knew he died years ago) and that Fisher looked a little odd or "plastic" as she put it (she is very familiar with Fisher).

I saw it on Wed, Dec 28. It might be possible other things like distance and angle to the screen and projection brightness can affect someone's perception. As some others have mentioned, it also seems to be connected to how familiar people are with the actors. My girlfriend who saw it at the same time thought Tarkin seemed pretty real (she is not very familiar with Cushing but knew he died years ago) and that Fisher looked a little odd or "plastic" as she put it (she is very familiar with Fisher).
Sure. Normally I'm on the other side of this sort of conversation. What was curious to me was that it wasn't till the third viewing a few days ago that the shot seemed different to me. Thanks for the reply!

is anyone else concerned about bail being at the base rather than on alderaan?

so are we to assume he left for home immediately, or is he still alive and in hiding?

is anyone else concerned about bail being at the base rather than on alderaan?

so are we to assume he left for home immediately, or is he still alive and in hiding?

He probably bee lined it home. he does say something like " I have to get back to get the analysts ready to look at the plans"

The whole face is off. It's too enlongated, and as mentioned above the lips are wrong. Compound that with the dead eyes and it comes off as a video game.

That being said, it's bound to...as we know it's not her in the first place, and it is CGI after all. We've come a very long way, but we still can't get life in the eyes to look 100%...particularly when there is only one CGI character in a shot and we've got living breathing humans to compare to and watch their interactions with (it).

In a way, I'm thankful that we can't achieve 100% reality. I don't want to be living in a future where we resurrect dead actors via CGI and make entire films with them. To me, that cheapens the real actor's value.

"In a way, I'm thankful that we can't achieve 100% reality. I don't want to be living in a future where we resurrect dead actors via CGI and make entire films with them. To me, that cheapens the real actor's value."

I agree. It's an amazing achievement but I don't want to start seeing performances manufactured wholesale just because they can do it.

We can assume Fisher signed off on this since she was still alive when they were making the film. But Cushing is looong gone. He had absolutely no say in the decision to be resurrected on screen (he couldn't really have even foreseen the possibility). I know his estate approved it but that whole aspect of CGI actors is very morally ambiguous.

"In a way, I'm thankful that we can't achieve 100% reality. I don't want to be living in a future where we resurrect dead actors via CGI and make entire films with them. To me, that cheapens the real actor's value."

I agree. It's an amazing achievement but I don't want to start seeing performances manufactured wholesale just because they can do it.

We can assume Fisher signed off on this since she was still alive when they were making the film. But Cushing is looong gone. He had absolutely no say in the decision to be resurrected on screen (he couldn't really have even foreseen the possibility). I know his estate approved it but that whole aspect of CGI actors is very morally ambiguous.

Well no matter how good the CGI gets they'll never recreate the performance. Just watch Peter Cushing's performance in ANH. Just the line, "You may fire when ready" should have been a throwaway line but is made iconic and memorable from his cadence and delivery. The CGI Cushing gave a pretty flat performance. I realize there was a fine actor In his place but, dramatically, he was making very "safe" choices.

^Yup.

It didn't feel like Peter Cushing really at all. It looked enough like him that i could accept it, but I would never be fooled. And as I've said previously: I don't want it to be able to fool me.

I know some don't have anything against the idea of resurrecting dead actors via CG, But I do.

I've had to explain to more than one person that Tarkin was (mostly) CG. My niece still doesn't believe that Leia wasn't (completely) real.

I think it depends on how familiar you are and if you know/think they might be CG. Yes, to many of us - me, included - it seemed very obvious. But, we knew that it couldn't possibly be them and it was most likely CG adding to an already heightened scrutiny level.

As far as Leia and her "dead eyes" and other comments - we're looking at a bootleg cam copy. It's not how it's meant to be viewed. Sure, the "dead eyes" thing can be debated - but, I don't remember that being an issue in the theater. There are definite issues with the CG Leia that can be debated from now until the second Tuesday of next week - but, I think it got the job done.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back