Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Enjoyed the trailer. Having loved TFA and R1 I'm worried my luck is running out. Lol.

Ben

In my experience, there's no such thing as 'luck'. :lol :lol

Anyway, I'm excited for this. I'm really glad they didn't reveal much in this trailer, and what they did show (e.g. the Jedi must end), completely lacks context, so is pretty undeterminable.

I'll agree with some here about the so-called grey Jedi. The Jedi are already grey, all of our hero Jedi have shown that they're not perfect - they all have good and bad tendencies. The idea that the Jedi must end to create balance - while they've managed to be around for over a thousand generations, is silly.

One could argue that just prior to the fall of the Jedi that they grew complacent and maybe a little holier than thou (again, showing that they were grey all along).

Unless I'm mistaken, The Sith used both sides of the Force. We've seen at least two Sith that were Jedi - is there some vow that they take that they're now forbidden to use what they've learned as Jedi?

If the Jedi must end, I hope it's for a better reason than "balance" or a need for someone that's both good/evil.

The notion that "the Jedi must end" is ridiculous. Why, because they failed to prevent the rise of the Empire through their arrogance and complacency? As long as there is the Force and people strong enough to use it, there will be the potential for disaster. The answer isn't to throw away tens of thousands of years of good because of one mistake (Ok, several mistakes but they were made all at once), it's to learn from their mistakes and change accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WOW! Nobody's mentioned how messed up Rey's hand is at 0:10!!!

I think she's breathing so hard because Luke just pulled a 'Magneto vs. Wolverine's claws' on Rey's fingers!

Maybe it's the portion of her training where Luke says "Here's how you make your opponent drop their lightsaber." Or maybe, "What'd it feel like when your grandfather cut off my hand, you ask? Kinda like this!"

WOW! Nobody's mentioned how messed up Rey's hand is at 0:10!!!

I think she's breathing so hard because Luke just pulled a 'Magneto vs. Wolverine's claws' on Rey's fingers!

Maybe it's the portion of her training where Luke says "Here's how you make your opponent drop their lightsaber." Or maybe, "What'd it feel like when your grandfather cut off my hand, you ask? Kinda like this!"

I noticed right away too. Its like 180 degrees of evenly spaced fingers lol.

I think that the idea of the Jedi ending is likely going to be the Jedi as the audience knows them to come to an end. Like they will evolve into something else. I'm all for them battling it out with lightsabers (and we are sure to get that) but there has to be MORE than just that and some unique Force powers for Rey and Kylo to wield. Hopefully there will be new perspective or depth to what the Force is and how it can be used to restore peace in the galaxy. Much like the mysticism of the East, maybe Luke has found some means of transforming the Jedi into beings of pure energy? I don't know.

The link I provided does go a bit into fan fiction territory, but if the saga films are going to be the conclusion to the entire Skywalker Saga, he is right that the end of the story needs to build upon the two trilogies that preceded it in a more meaningful way than just some space battles and lightsaber duels. I hope that's what Luke is referring to. That the story group realizes that they can't just rehash Empire and Jedi with 8 and 9 and that if they want this universe to continue in future films, they need to conclude it properly.

This would also fit in with the stories I read that they once 9 is released they will no longer make any more Episode or Saga films. The future format will only be stand alone films.

Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed that Leia will NOT be in Ep. 9. I wonder what that will mean for her character. I hope she gets a fitting conclusion and isn't cheaply written off.

I would be really on board if this is the type of direction 8 and 9 go in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul9lTVGTOFA

just a couple days ago its been said she is in ep9... they plan on using unused footage from ep7. her brother gave permission to lucasfilm

I think the statement about the Jedi ending might be a ruse. We don't know the context in which this is said... Luke could be having an argument with Force Ghost Yoda who wants him to train her, but he wants nothing to do with it.

The notion that "the Jedi must end" is ridiculous. Why, because they failed to prevent the rise of the Empire through their arrogance and complacency? As long as there is the Force and people strong enough to use it, there will be the potential for disaster. The answer isn't to throw away tens of thousands of years of good because of one mistake (Ok, several mistakes but they were made all at once), it's to learn from their mistakes and change accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jedi and "light side" are not necessarily one in the same. Much like the Sith and dark side.

Not sure Luke is pushing to abolish the Force, just end the opposing Jedi/Sith conflict.

Just speculation on my part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There HAS to be more than JUST Luke training Rey the way Yoda taught him. There has to be a new insight into the Force itself that is going to give completely new meaning to the saga as a whole. I mean why just rehash Empire?

There HAS to be more than JUST Luke training Rey the way Yoda taught him. There has to be a new insight into the Force itself that is going to give completely new meaning to the saga as a whole. I mean why just rehash Empire?

For the same reason they just rehashed ANH with TFA. If it ain't broke, just polish it up and repackage it. It is what it is. Semi-sad, but better than the prequels by leaps and bounds.

Well its been confirmed by Rian that Luke IS the last Jedi. And it looks like Leia is going to leave in this episode as many predicted. The fact they are " remaking " ( to some extent )the old trilogy makes perfect sense. That was supposed to be the new start, but its one that has failed. History repeats itself very often (just look at our recent one hundred years) because the same dark desires for power and violence are prevalent in some. I applaud their decision to take it this way, it makes the dynamic for Force users much more open and interesting and I've grown bored of the whole Jedi v Sith conflict. As a teaser its effective in showing us that Disney and Lucasfilm are trying to give the OT fans a last hurrah by echoing many of the themes from it, before moving on into new territory but its not thrilling because of that. We have seen it the likes of it before and therefore feel slightly cheated.

Last edited:
I guess. Maybe Rey and Kylo make a pact to team up, kill Snoke and Luke and them themselves and wipe out all Sith and Jedi.

All kidding aside. I hope that the story group is smart enough to try and push the story. No one needs or really wants a remake of the OT. I know I certainly don't need to see that. I can forgive TFA if only because I like the new characters and it was a safer bet to get the fanbase mostly united and back on board after the divisive prequels.

Let's just hope Lucasfilm trusts that the fans will want something new.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back