How to Dye Patterns onto Black Nylon-Spandex?

magicat777

I'm prepping a GL-Animated Razer costume for WonderCon/GenCon'15. I have a black nylon bodysuit already sewn to my dimensions, but have been brainstorming how to get the red stripes on the black spandex?

I've found a few dyes that would work, but was wondering if you "paint the dyes" on and how you avoid bleeding? Most of the tutorials I've found talk about dying an entire article of clothing. I haven't seen anything about getting patterns on a black/dark suit. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for the help!

Black spandex can't be dyed. It must be painted. Look for a fabric paint. If using an airbrush, add a fabric medium. Painter's tape could be used to edge the stripes, but if the paint is too thin, it will bleed under.

Black spandex can't be dyed. It must be painted. Look for a fabric paint. If using an airbrush, add a fabric medium. Painter's tape could be used to edge the stripes, but if the paint is too thin, it will bleed under.

Yup. This. You'll never get the black to take dye any more than just adding a slight tint to the black at best. Instead of black, it'll be a reddish black. Not helpful at all.

Honestly, I'd use eva foam and make the red stripes more armor, rather than just trying to paint the spandex.

I'm going to agree with both above me. You can use fabric paint or an airbrush with textile medium, but you'll need to have it on a form to paint it so that the black is painted in its 'stretched' state or the paint will crack. The foam option is a good one - make the pieces, coat them with mod podge or plastidip, paint them a nice metallic red and then glue them on.

Typically, for what you're trying to do, you'd need the suit dyed with the pattern included before it's sewn together (like people do spidey suits) or you'd need to have the red color-blocked and sewn into the suit.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back