Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

I'm with @Snikt. I want to see some light saber throwing, force chocking, skull smashing Bonthons dead on the floor Vader pimp walking death scenes. God that felt good to say.

That felt good to read. Highfive! Like when Mon Mothma says "many bothans died for this information", Darth Vader did all the things drcraig said.

For the umpteen-zillionth time in this thread, no Bothans involved here. That was the second Death Star. Maybe that'll turn up in a movie down the road about the Rebel agents getting the intentionally-leaked info about the DS2, with Vader or someone killing enough of them to make it look legit, but it's not relevant here. :p

yep, thats the impression I get with Vader as well.

although, since they didn't plan past that first movie, I bet that would have changed if it was more fleshed out. but I think it works quite well that way. shows vader and the force is more of a myth at that point..a boogieman. then he's let loose and out in the open.

He probably wasn't too angry that tarkin and all those imperial heads died in the death star either ;o).

Originally, Vader was just some bounty hunter working for the Empire. As he developed in a different direction, the whole badass bounty hunter thing got revisited for the sequel, and we got Boba Fett. The final version we got in the original film was a gifted youngster who turned against his teacher and became an anti-Jedi enforcer/exterminator for the Empire. He was present on the Death Star as the Emperor's emissary, but Tarkin was in overall command, as it was the territory he governed. General Motti (per the credits -- not sure when an dhow he got flipped to "Admiral") was the facility commander. "Bast" (name not actually given in the film) was the General commanding the embarked Stormtroopers (as Veers was for the Stormtroopers on the Executor in ESB). Tagge was his colleague and the commanding General of the Stormtroopers on the Devastator (the Star Destroyer Vader was using as his command ship while waiting for the Executor to be finished). ISB Agent Yularen had changed career tracks, after serving as a Republic Starfleet officer during the Clone Wars (indeed, commanding the Star Destroyer Anakin and Obi-Wan operated from).

Tarkin called Vader "my friend", but we don't know how sincere that was. After all, Tarkin had led the witch-hunt against Anakin's apprentice. Yularen is also iffy -- no idea how much Vader likes reminders of his previous life. Those two dying may have been a loss or a release/relief. Motti for sure he wouldn't lose any sleep over. But Vader has always been a "leader of men" -- going back to when he was Anakin. He is an advocate for and friend of the troopers he commands. He seemed to have more respect for Veers than Ozzel. So I can see him mourning the loss of Tagge and any Stormtroopers stranded aboard. I like to take the Holiday Special's base story as canon, even if the execution was dreadful. By which I mean, I accept it as evidence Base survived the destruction of the Death Star and replaced Tagge aboard the Devastator.

I would imagine that Vader got a serious promotion after the death star went down

He took the brunt of the blame, actually, since everyone else in charge was dead. Tarkin and Motti couldn't be punished for their arrogance and overconfidence, so Vader was on the outs with Palpatine until he was able to redeem himself. He's always been outside the table-of-organization, anyway, current standing with his Master notwithstanding. So "promotion" is a null term with him. In good standing or in disgrace, he's still the Emperor's emissary, and you should probably do what he says, whether you're a slick-sleeve crewman or a Fleet Admiral.

An interesting theory on the Death Star's main flaw and possible plot point for R1, but it kind of falls flat seeing as the second DS still had the same basic flaw.

Not seeing it. The Death Star was completed, and one of the designers had built in a "back door" weakness that could theoretically be exploited by an opportunistic, lucky, and skilled enemy who was in the know. It was still protected by surface shielding (they had to approach via a surface trench from miles away), they had to use guided munitions not typically able to manage such fine presicion of targeting, etc. It was a weakness, but only just.

The Death Star 2 was still barely over half-fnished, with major portions of its superstructure open to space. Several Rebel ships -- including a largeish Corellian freighter -- were able to fly through a construction accessway into its inner workings, with a decent amount o room to maneuver, and followed a much longer and much twistier route to reach the station's main reactor chamber at the core, to take it out directly at close range.

The only similarity is the use of explosive guided projectiles to destroy each station, but I imagine you could use the same weapons to do the same to any capital ship (assuming you were able to access the main reactor, either through exploiting a cooling line or just battering through the hull). I could also argue that it's what the Death Star did to Alderaan -- burrowed down to the core and blew it up from the inside out. Makes the most sense when you're trying to take out a large target -- find a way to use its power source against it.

--Jonah

Anybody else in here get the impression of Director Krennic as a Broadway/Opera stage performer? I imagine him on-stage holding a skull saying "To be? Or not to be?"

I doubt he will perfrom "Memory" from "Cats" somewhere in the movie, but hey, it is a Disney flick, and it is said that somebody sings in those on occasion..! ;) :D

- - - Updated - - -

Dying to know what a canon bothan looks like

There you go:

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/bothans

;)

I'd question then, where did the brain come in? At no point in the prequels would anyone ever call Anakin 'a thinker'. Anakin is the type to flip out and scream NOOOOO when he doesn't get his way. Just like he flipped out and went on a murder spree after his mother died. A thinker also flip to the dark side at the drop of a hat to save his girlfriend by killing one of his mentors and saying 'ok, no prob' when asked to go slaughter a bunch of kids, 2 seconds after flipping.

So, i don't see that unless the emperor spent the last 20ish years teaching him 'the art of war' or something.

Yes but the prequels were a retcon. The Vader we see in the OT is Vader. That prequel nonsense was just George remembering how he was as a teen ;) The Vader of the OT just shows up on the Tantive in episode 4. He had no past, at least not one we've seen yet. Maybe one day we'll see his real back story, but I'm good not knowing. I just wish I could wash that prequel stain out of my mind. I'm hoping that future Disney Star Wars treatments will be a good palette cleanser, ;)

Last edited:
Everything is a Retcon, even ESB was one. The story evolves and changes into things it wasn't necessarily planned from the beginning to be. Most fictions with more than one installment become this way. Writing is a process, even writing one story you may change things by the end that you didn't think about doing at the start. There is NO "Real backstory" because he isn't a real character. You just want a back story that matches closer to what you want yourself or you thought it would be. Lucas had no idea SW would be successful to be able to make more, he had a few vague ideas about Vader, but nothing in stone.

Yes but the prequels were a retcon. The Vader we see in the OT is Vader. That prequel nonsense was just George remembering how he was as a teen ;) The Vader of the OT just shows up on the Tantive in episode 4. He had no past, at least not one we've seen yet. Maybe I one day we'll see his real back story, but I'm good not knowing. I just wish I could wash that prequel stain out of my mind. I'm hoping that future Disney Star Wars treatments will be a good palette cleanser, ;)

Last edited:
So now what part of this are the Bothans in?

chopheadtinybits_zpsnyxnisat.jpg

(Thanks to Phil & Kaja Foglio for such an apropos reaction image.)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back