Nike MAG replicas (V2 and V3 only)

Netflix released their series "Abstract: The Art of Design" today. The 2nd episode is all about Tinker Hatfield and they spend a portion talking about the development of the Mag.

Check this out. The first working prototype of the auto-lacing Mag...from 2007!

View attachment 706113

View attachment 706114
These soles, and this shape reminds me of the HCs... Look at the EL : not shaped as a dome but more like a triangle (like the HCs). No bump on the midsoles, everything is flat, no ribs etc... even the strap looks like the HCs...

They surely co-worked on the design of these crapy shoe to make some fans calm down but keeping up with their 2011 version to look better... :-/

I was curious about the second episode but i didn't thought it would be about Tinker and Mags !!!! :)

Looks like I managed to kill yet another left shoe. Completely changed how I do stuff in these shoes, yet wore them into the city today and now the left shoe is doing something weird.

Both shoes plugged in.
803f7bdf73da49e8891cd32c81ab8005.jpg

Right shoe works fine.
720d53673b6dabb0f82ec8241bac3ea2.jpg

What is going on with the left shoe?
a0ceee5d957ac6f93016074d0fb35ca6.jpg

EL panel just flickers fast (50hz?) and only the red LED strip lights dim.

My understanding was that if the shoes were externally powered, they bipassed the batteries. So what is happening here?

This is just the 5th time I have worn them.

Has to be the battery.
c7fbd1db6ff50f6b4aa8039514a6e1e5.jpg

This is just one shoe connected and as soon as I pull the lead, dead.
bdc1cfc12978e7a05d1e3e4b5b27d342.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Now won't power up at all. I hope I didn't fry the small control board.

it looks like they are very fragile and they are going to be breaking.

I've had 5 people say they've had EL panels go out and had defective batteries.
I'm not sure why the lithium batteries are failing, they are only 1000mah and shouldn't be having problems this early.

For anyone in the UK, you can get a 1000mah battery replacement from Protopic i think. Or you could get a more higher mah battery.

if you think the charge port is moved, you might have to open it up and then realign it if its come off.
Hopefully it might just be the battery is completely dead now.

Has to be the battery.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170212/c7fbd1db6ff50f6b4aa8039514a6e1e5.jpg
This is just one shoe connected and as soon as I pull the lead, dead.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170212/bdc1cfc12978e7a05d1e3e4b5b27d342.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yes, it's the battery. This happened to my right shoe. Had to cut the sole open and replace it. Jedifyfe actually sent me this and it has worked perfectly!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-3-7V-...wAAOSwepJXY3sS

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy that messaged me on my CAVX Creations Facebook page has installed a resister in series with the red set of LEDs. It tamed them down. I am hoping he will post here if he a member. If not, hopefully he signs up. He has done a good job, so exactly the kind of people we need here.

Do you guys think that the next step would be to fix the panels now? I'm wondering if it would be worth to wait for them to fix them all before getting another pair?

Do you guys think that the next step would be to fix the panels now? I'm wondering if it would be worth to wait for them to fix them all before getting another pair?

It would be great if they came with a support section glued to the back of the EL panels to stop them failing. I had considered pulling my wear pair apart and resoldering the connections between the domes, then gluing a reinforcing panel to their back when the tread wears down more and I replace the soles. But at the moment the soles still have heaps of grip, (I expected them to wear away quicker like the V1s did) and the batteries are flat and I just wear them as regular sneakers. Haven't decided if I will go to all that effort to to fix the one dome which no longer lights, or just put aqua plastic domes under the new clear sole and never bother to plug them in again.

I don't think they will or can fix these panels. Ideally, the use of the wire tape (the stuff I have is used to attach soldered wires to the back of EL sheet without destroying the panels - the wires must be soldered first) to join the two domes in the event that the little joiner in the middle breaks.

It would be great if they came with a support section glued to the back of the EL panels to stop them failing. I had considered pulling my wear pair apart and resoldering the connections between the domes, then gluing a reinforcing panel to their back when the tread wears down more and I replace the soles. But at the moment the soles still have heaps of grip, (I expected them to wear away quicker like the V1s did) and the batteries are flat and I just wear them as regular sneakers. Haven't decided if I will go to all that effort to to fix the one dome which no longer lights, or just put aqua plastic domes under the new clear sole and never bother to plug them in again.

I think the EL wire tape might be what you need. The problem is that the EL panel as a whole is quite long. And because EL only bends one way, which is against the way the shoe bends, and as a result, breaks occur. Two domes joined by a flexible bridge might be the only way.

If you are going to do plastic replacement parts, do you want some GITD panels? I have a set made up here not doing anything. Happy to drop them into an envelope this week.

This week, I will find courage and attempt to open my shoes and remove the batteries. Hopefully I can get these back up and running.

The panels in these are too weak.
I've got the spare ones from David and they are incredibly weak. In the middle they flop and in the shoes, they have been tightly pressed in against the grey rubber, and they are more than likely to break eventually no matter how carefull you are.

What is worse is that they have used stupidly thin wiring for the panels and basically all over. These wires are too thin and weak.
If you look at the way they are soldered on, they are incredibly weak and will break, especially the ones soldered onto the little brown copper tape that goes onto the EL panels in the soles.

Then you have this same thin wiring going along upto the circuit board thats in the white ankle strap holder.
They really should have used more protection on the wiring to prevent it snapping or breaking. As it stands, they are so thin, they are almost definitely going to snap in different areas.

They could easily use a bigger gauge wire, encase the connection points in plastic or rubber and there wouldn't be this issue.
Remember, you have three main areas of seperate lighting, the Strap Panel, the LEDs, and the Sole Panels.

- - - Updated - - -

no yet now ,

we will try

Why are you EL Panels breaking so easily? They are so weak and floppy and poorly made.
I've had Panels made that are better than yours so im not sure why they have been made so fragile.
The centre point of the panel is extremely fragile, and the copper tape stuck onto the panel seems to come off very easily.

The centre point of the panel is extremely fragile, and the copper tape stuck onto the panel seems to come off very easily.
David has stated "the EL panel more solid with longer and stronger tape & LED light more clearly". I hope someone gets their hands on an updated EL so we can determine this for ourselves

Alright guys I'm here finally to help with dimmimg the leds on your v3s later today I'm going to make a tutorial so you can do the same I dimmed the lights but the red appears slightly brighter due to the led board running in parallel so that's a huge step for all of us stay tuned later today for more thanks guys!

David has stated "the EL panel more solid with longer and stronger tape & LED light more clearly". I hope someone gets their hands on an updated EL so we can determine this for ourselves

I got the updated el panels he sent.
They are the exact same. Floppy and weak.
I cant see any difference.
Its basically pot luck and if they break, well its to be expected.

Alright guys I'm here finally to help with dimmimg the leds on your v3s later today I'm going to make a tutorial so you can do the same I dimmed the lights but the red appears slightly brighter due to the led board running in parallel so that's a huge step for all of us stay tuned later today for more thanks guys!

Great, good luck with making the tutorial.!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello @davidjones888
Are the updated lights version available in US 10 or 10.5?
I am thinking of ordering another pair from you if I can get the version with the new LEDs
since I have already bought 2 pair from you, I want to make sure the third pair has the updated lights.
Thankyou

i ordered a size 10 before CNY and spoke to David a couple of days ago because of Rebecca sended me 2 times pictures of the older version and he told me to wait around 2 weeks for the newer update.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back