Attention: BANDAI will stop selling kits outside Japan

I couldn't agree more.
I've been reading all these posts and was thinking precisely the same.
I can wait.

Yeah exactly, I'll get the kits I want one way or another eventually, but I don't need to get them right now, they're not going to disappear off the planet and if they do then hey....I'll make y own
The damn movie isn't even OUT yet!! I want to see the film first !

Even tho im sure iv secured a TFA kit. I still feel like something needs to be done to get disneys attention on this matter. i cant get onto disneys product website as it wont connect to the site. It may just be my computer. they havn't responded to my post on their facebook product page. This must be an interesting story for a news website, surely somehow we can start a digital fire.

I don't think anyone will debate that it's Disney calling the shots. I'm sure they had the contract written so that Bandai can only sell to Japanese companies. Unbeknownst to Bandai, (perhaps) these companies resold their merchandise to non-Japanese companies. Revell now sees a potential loss in sales due to this incursion into their territory. They would go to Disney and point out that Bandai is violating the terms of the contract by selling to distributors that are reselling to non-Japanese markets. It's Disneys responsibility to keep its licensees in line. It's probably not the average modeller that caused this. Someone probably saw the profit in buying skids of these SW models for resale in North America. A Revell rep probably was walking through a hobbyshop and noticed these kits sitting on a shelf. He reports it to his boss and the ball keeps rolling.

Despite me saying previously, that we should do something about it, sadly, I don't believe that much can be done. Definitely Disney won't reverse their decision. We'll have to find a secondary market either from friends, members, eBay, Amazon or whatever.

TazMan2000.

I agree about Revell. They haven ever made a Star Wars kit that could be called GOOD. they are all fairly mediocre kits that need a lot of work to be presentable as something that are little better than cheap toys at exorbitant prices. They have little respect for their customers and believe we are simple minded twits who will pay our hard earned money and believe their products are high quality. I bought some of their SF kits and they aren't designed that well; and accuracy aside; can be built by a stilted orangutan with faulty eyesight. The master series kits they will be selling were designed by someone else; at a far lower price than they are planning on selling them for; and will still probably be ruined somehow just by being in the vicinity of Revell. Bandai has designed and produced better Star Wars models then Revell could' even with the help of Fine Molds.

Sorry for the rant; but you can probably tell I'm not happy.

Hi everyone, I have been liaising with a few of the Japanese retailers I shop with regarding this restriction and wish to clarify a few things (from what I have read here so far and from my correspondence with them):

1. If you have any pre-orders from HLJ or Hobby Search for Boba Fett and Slave 1, they will honour it. The restriction encompass ALL of Bandai Star Wars model kits. HLJ are still selling theirs but once their stock runs out, that's it.

2. The restriction imposed is based on the contractual agreement between the Japanese manufacturers and Disney in which states the Star Wars trade mark merchandises are only meant for sales within Japan. This not only encompass model kits, but other Star Wars merchandises as well that falls under this agreement. From what I am hearing, it was a blanket agreement that was given to Japan (this one is not confirmed and I am guessing only applies to all the newer agreements).

3. From my understanding (and I may be wrong here since my sources' English isn't that good), apparently these products became available to the world due to a misrepresentation of the terms of agreement in which case the manufacturer's claim of "selling within Japan" referred to only covering Japanese retailers, was not in spirit with the original agreement, which states the products are only meant for sales within Japan regardless whether its from the manufacturer or retailers. In this case, Bandai was deemed to have breached their agreement.

4. In all my correspondence with the retailers, there were no mention of any outside influence (Revell, Hasbro, etc etc). It was basically Disney finding out Japanese Star Wars products were being sold openly everywhere against the agreement, so their licensing department initiated a clamp down.

5. Fans worldwide are not the only ones unhappy. The retailers too are badly effected as they not only stand to lose out on potential sales esp with the coming movie, but some of them had ordered massive stock in anticipation of a sales surge, but they have no choice now but to comply or risk getting blacklisted by Bandai (who is under tremendous pressure to police their distributors and retailers).

6. To make matter worse, Disney apparently is pressuring on the manufacturers directly, so the retail shops in Japan are in limbo as to which other Star Wars products will be effected next. They themselves are hearing a lot of rumours, so to be safe, some have chosen to remove the products while others are still waiting for an official directive.

Last edited:
I never thought of this before but the effect of this also means that these Japanese companies (now realising that they can't export) won't be able to justify much product.

This may be the reason bandai only released like, 3 new models on force Friday. Now that their sales are limited, they are going to be a lot more hesitant to expand the line up

This is gonna screw the Star Destroyer. If Bandai suddenly loses WORLDWIDE sales, and sees their meantime orders shrink for their product (as it is now localized to Japan only), they will probably say "better safe than sorry" and not produce a large model.... a large model that would not be very popular in a Country where space is a super premium.

This is gonna screw the Star Destroyer. If Bandai suddenly loses WORLDWIDE sales, and sees their meantime orders shrink for their product (as it is now localized to Japan only), they will probably say "better safe than sorry" and not produce a large model.... a large model that would not be very popular in a Country where space is a super premium.

Possibly, but when Bandai signed the contract they knew it was for Japan only, so they projected their potential sales figures on that fact. Since the contract inception they have had a lot of worldwide sales, so that could mean that they have more funds than previously forecasted. There is still hope. Getting it for a good price...that possibility will be dwindling.

TazMan2000

Are you hearing this revell? Your stuff STINKS.

I think some people are taking this a bit too serious though. You will get your kit. One way or another. You might have to pay a little bit more for them but it won't break the bank. Disney aren't gonna send in a Border Patrol tactics squad and tie you up and flog the crap out of you. I bet Hong Kong will be a big supplier within a few months of release.

It would be nice as now Bandai have a worldwide product (Gundam, Space battleship Yamato are very cool but kind of niche) that they will try and sit down and renegotiate their contract to a betterment of all involved. Bandai makes the best fitting kits I ever built but seem to have this small scale thinking all the time. My two kids like the Revell stuff and i like the Bandai their is room for both manufacturers. Just seems this is going to hurt everyone in some way

Possibly, but when Bandai signed the contract they knew it was for Japan only, so they projected their potential sales figures on that fact. Since the contract inception they have had a lot of worldwide sales, so that could mean that they have more funds than previously forecasted. There is still hope. Getting it for a good price...that possibility will be dwindling.

TazMan2000

If I understand correctly, it seems like there was a misunderstanding. So they may have very well been counting their overall sales, when projecting their product.

Ha, just talked to another co-worker who is going to Japan in November for a few weeks. Guess what they are bringing home for me?????

:cool

If I understand correctly, it seems like there was a misunderstanding. So they may have very well been counting their overall sales, when projecting their product.
I guess so, too. The current situation would mean a huge loss in sales which could make them reconsider their politics. That could affect the whole line and lead to the discontinuation of the Bandai Star Wars license. I see less new models at a higher price to compensate for the losses. Prices would also rise IF Bandai renews the license and changes it to a worldwide license.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back