Attention: BANDAI will stop selling kits outside Japan

Re: Attention: BANDAI may stop selling kits outside Japan

I reached out to Diamond Comic Distributors and unfortunately they will not be carrying the Star Wars kits. "BanDai USA’s licenses does not include the Star Wars line"

Bummer

I say eveyone who wants the sale of the Kits avaliable in the west put constant pressure on disney. By leaving posts on their Disney product Facebook page, send emails and spread the word and make a ton of noise. anyone who wants these kits should be up for it.

Maybe we should start an official thread to add signatures and petition to show our discust with the situation. I would need some help with ideas as iv never done anything like this. I feel like i gotta do whatever i can to at least gets some clarity on the situation.

I want my ****ing Bandai star wars kits :( :(

I say eveyone who wants the sale of the Kits avaliable in the west put constant pressure on disney. By leaving posts on their Disney product Facebook page, send emails and spread the word and make a ton of noise. anyone who wants these kits should be up for it.

Maybe we should start an official thread to add signatures and petition to show our discust with the situation. I would need some help with ideas as iv never done anything like this. I feel like i gotta do whatever i can to at least gets some clarity on the situation.

I want my ****ing Bandai star wars kits :( :(

A nice idea, but Disney won't give a damn. Star Wars modelers who wish to have Bandai Kits are just too small a minority to make them care. Revell's license agreement also gives them tons of money, so they won't do anything like that to **** Revell off.

Your best bet is to check for sellers on Amazon or Ebay. I too love to order from HLJ, but since that's no longer an option, we must explore others.

A nice idea, but Disney won't give a damn. Star Wars modelers who wish to have Bandai Kits are just too small a minority to make them care. Revell's license agreement also gives them tons of money, so they won't do anything like that to **** Revell off.

Your best bet is to check for sellers on Amazon or Ebay. I too love to order from HLJ, but since that's no longer an option, we must explore others.

Your Probably right there. i guess im just feeling powerless about the kits. hopefully the kits will find a way of being avaliable to me, hopefully

Please don't get me wrong, I really don't like what's happening, but there is one question: Why should they listen?

They have made the agreement with Bandai and as long as both sides keep the agreement Disney has absolutely no reason to bother with the issue.

A change would require a new contract which surely would make Bandai pay more money which would make the kits more expensive.

Okay, let me just say this... quit yer bitchin'.

THIS IS THE RPF. We do not take these things lying down. If anyone on the entire internet can figure out a way to get these kits, it's right here. I've been around here for a long time, this isn't our first rodeo. If people are worried about the almighty Disney being mad about it, we just do it real quiet-like. Starting with: Who are our Japanese members?

I can follow to what you have written. I think too, that Revell can be the one that is behind. I just do not think they are. When I was in contact with Revell Germany (see former post) they had absolutely no interest in taking action because they did not see an influence on their sales. Maybe with Revell USA we have a different situation. Maybe it was Fine Molds trying to sell their kits via Revell in USA. Many people say, that they were the ones who pointed Lucas Film against Anigrand.
Until we have proper inside information, it is all speculation.
Michael

I don't think Revell had as much sway over this as people think.

Why didn't they try shutting down the export of Fine Molds kits then?

They would have been seen as threat as well considering they were releasing better quality kits on the same subjects.

I could be wrong, but I think Revell see's it's market as a different crowd than the one ordering kits from Japanese modelers and are not really threatended by kits being available from sites like HLJ.

They are looking towards a younger crowd and direct in store sales from Retailers like Wal Mart, Hobby Lobby, Michael's etc... Parent's are not going to HLJ to buy model kits for there kids. A small subset of more serious modelers are the ones buying those kits

I'm pretty sure this is simply Disney being the big corporation and flexing their muscles on licensing now that the all hell is about starting to break loose with merchandising for the new films. It is not just model companies that are being cracked down on. This effects toys, action figures etc... They want to make sure they keep control.

Plus, doesn't this effect Revell just as much. I would think this means their kits cannot be exported either. So those Revell of Germany kits that only have a European license cannot be exported to the US unless Revell of USA picks up a license for them. They had not released all of the Revell of Germany stuff in the US in the past. ANd in the past HLJ has listed Revell kits on their site. Would that mean they would have to take those kits down?

I'll believe Revell had nothing to do with it when:

1) Revell OT kits are not for sale in Japan and
2) Bandai's preassembled items are banned.

As far as FM is concerned, remember they released, like, 1 Star Wars model a year. In less than 1 year, Bandai has released a fleet!

THIS IS THE RPF. We do not take these things lying down. If anyone on the entire internet can figure out a way to get these kits, it's right here. I've been around here for a long time, this isn't our first rodeo. If people are worried about the almighty Disney being mad about it, we just do it real quiet-like. Starting with: Who are our Japanese members?

I kinda feel like you should be standing on a tank while delivering that monologue

Someone already asked about Having Japanese members to stick up their hand. So far! I haven't yet to see one hand ( OKI know there are no hands in cyberspace but you know what I mean). Who could blame them. They would be the go between for RPF buyers and any Japanese vendor. It would be a lot of work for little reward. They would have to answer emails from the members all the time and listen to their gripes and complaints about shipping times, damaged boxes and such. Let's not even get into the problems with payments. It would be almost a full time job I would think.

TazMan2000

I don't think Revell had as much sway over this as people think.

Why didn't they try shutting down the export of Fine Molds kits then?

They would have been seen as threat as well considering they were releasing better quality kits on the same subjects.

I could be wrong, but I think Revell see's it's market as a different crowd than the one ordering kits from Japanese modelers and are not really threatended by kits being available from sites like HLJ.

They are looking towards a younger crowd and direct in store sales from Retailers like Wal Mart, Hobby Lobby, Michael's etc... Parent's are not going to HLJ to buy model kits for there kids. A small subset of more serious modelers are the ones buying those kits

I'm pretty sure this is simply Disney being the big corporation and flexing their muscles on licensing now that the all hell is about starting to break loose with merchandising for the new films. It is not just model companies that are being cracked down on. This effects toys, action figures etc... They want to make sure they keep control.

Plus, doesn't this effect Revell just as much. I would think this means their kits cannot be exported either. So those Revell of Germany kits that only have a European license cannot be exported to the US unless Revell of USA picks up a license for them. They had not released all of the Revell of Germany stuff in the US in the past. ANd in the past HLJ has listed Revell kits on their site. Would that mean they would have to take those kits down?

You may be right, but I always look at the simpler side. Follow the money. Who would benefit most by this decision?

TazMan2000

Agree with you TazMan. And they risk being banned if they miss. I'm sure there's another avenue out there.

You may be right, but I always look at the simpler side. Follow the money. Who would benefit most by this decision?

TazMan2000

I would think Disney has a lot to protect and gain themselves.

They have enforced their IP and are trying to force license holders to stay within their defined markets and potentially the more markets they can sell licenses for, the better for them.

It could they turned a blind eye in part to licenses that were pre-existing, or related to the original trilogy. Now that the new trilogy is upon us, this probably means newer deals with much stricter control. It is up to Disney's legal department to enforce and while Revell may have made a complaint, they were probably not the only company to do so.

The point is. None of us know for sure and probably will never know but many are quick to denounce a company based on speculation.

There have been many stories of Disney bringing the hammer down totally on their own on things that seem ridiculous and what amount to using a crane to crush a fly

Plus, even if Revell was the initial cause, the licensing is what it is and in the end it is Disney is enforcing it because they are legally obligated to do so. No more, no less.

It really was just a matter of time before Disney tightened their grip

of course

"..The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers..."

Here's my theory-

Revell is blissfully plugging along churning out all these little "pocket" this and "easy" that plasticy kids toys that have to be put together and calling them "model kits". They plan to do the same thing for The Force Awakens, more toys. Then, Bandai releases their OT ships and figures. Customers are blown away at how much better these kits are than the old FM kits, and of course way better than what they (Revell) are offering. And with shelling out big bucks to import the old FM kits that everyone knows are inferior now they're getting nervous. Revell runs to Disney whining about how these Japanese kits are stealing their sales and what might happen with the new TFA kits from Bandai. Revell complains "their Japaenese market only kits, stop them". Disney says "hey, your right!" And the rest is history.

Of course I could be totaly wrong too.....

Here's my theory-

Revell is blissfully plugging along churning out all these little "pocket" this and "easy" that plasticy kids toys that have to be put together and calling them "model kits". They plan to do the same thing for The Force Awakens, more toys. Then, Bandai releases their OT ships and figures. Customers are blown away at how much better these kits are than the old FM kits, and of course way better than what they (Revell) are offering. And with shelling out big bucks to import the old FM kits that everyone knows are inferior now they're getting nervous. Revell runs to Disney whining about how these Japanese kits are stealing their sales and what might happen with the new TFA kits from Bandai. Revell complains "their Japaenese market only kits, stop them". Disney says "hey, your right!" And the rest is history.

Of course I could be totaly wrong too.....

Sounds about right to me too. I'd believe the Disney just enforcing liscences if it was more than just Bandai kits. Premade figures and statues seem to be fine. It's just these Bandai kits getting hit. Oh well, no amount of my belly-aching is going to change anything. Just gonna have to make the best of this crappy situation. :(

Chris

I have a friend in Japan. I'll be getting my kits. Might as well get two of each...

Let me see how easy it is first to get "a couple" over here.

"Oh, hello Mr. Disney. What? Nope, nothing going on over here. Go on about your business. Have a good day".......

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back