Star Trek Beyond

At first I was all for NuSulu being gay. I thought that it was a good move and something that Star Trek needed after all these years. Plus it was my headcannon for years.

But when Takei said that they shouldn't have and gave good reasons why, I changed my mind.
And since then, the producers and Pegg et al have been saying some really dumb things. Like for instance saying that it was a "a tribute for George" after they consulted him and he advised them not to. Or saying things like "it would be too difficult to add a gay character."
I think that they really tried to do this to gain headlines for a movie the public didn't really care about, and now its kinda being shown up as the cynical marketing move it was by the usual studio ham-handedness.

I thought it was something done recently during the reshoots. like in the last month recently.

but if you go by the wording, it was as far back as 5 months at least.

the Cynic in me wonders if they plan these 11th hour hail mary passes that far back when and if they know a movie is failing. because that is all this really comes across as to me.

I was listening to a podcast recently by the Mads. Trace and TVs Frank.

And they brought up something interesting too.

How Brent Spiner and his hospital visiting friend from the first ID4 movie where strangely retconned to be gay...only the movie didn't have the balls to come out and say it.
I kind of got that vibe too.

Although i was trying to remember who spiners friend was in the first movie, and i think it was that guy who said 'if this isn't a beautiful woman, i'm hanging up' that first discovered the alien signal. i might be wrong though but that is who it reminded me of for some reason. i'm not an id4 expert :)

the Cynic in me wonders if they plan these 11th hour hail mary passes that far back when and if they know a movie is failing. because that is all this really comes across as to me.

A little gimmicky maybe, but this is different. For one thing: this is the sort of thing Star Trek does. We expect it from Trek, so it's not bothersome in that respect. Also, unlike GB, it's not the whole hook of the film, just an add-in, and for me, that is a big difference. But mostly, it's different with Trek...thats what Trek is supposed to do...push the issues of the day a little.

We're actually over-due for a gay character on the bridge crew of major sci fi piece. It's kind of not even the issue of the day and more like...the issue of yesterday. For most of us it's not even worthy of the label "controversial" anymore.

I still don't like messing with pre-existing characters. I'm kind of hoping that most of the griping is about that, and not because of including a gay bridge crew, because in my mind, gay bridge crew member is really not even all that controversial at this point. But messing with pre-existing characters is getting bothersome. It's also not all that forward thinking to just slap new labels on yesterdays lunch.

A little gimmicky maybe, but this is different. For one thing: this is the sort of thing Star Trek does. We expect it from Trek, so it's not bothersome in that respect. Also, unlike GB, it's not the whole hook of the film, just an add-in, and for me, that is a big difference. But mostly, it's different with Trek...thats what Trek is supposed to do...push the issues of the day a little.

We're actually over-due for a gay character on the bridge crew of major sci fi piece. It's kind of not even the issue of the day and more like...the issue of yesterday. For most of us it's not even worthy of the label "controversial" anymore.

I still don't like messing with pre-existing characters. I'm kind of hoping that most of the griping is about that, and not because of including a gay bridge crew, because in my mind, gay bridge crew member is really not even all that controversial at this point. But messing with pre-existing characters is getting bothersome. It's also not all that forward thinking to just slap new labels on yesterdays lunch.

I know it's not really the same thing..but they have done this kind of thing before, havn't they?

trek kind of has a transgender race in the trill.

they had a 'wiggly'(to quote an old andy dick radio interview) kira in the alternate universe episode

and kind of but not really touched apon it in the first trill episode with Dr.Beverly.

it may not be an explored topic, but it's hardly a first for trek.

A lot of very positive tweets about Beyond in my feed this morning from people who saw the UK premiere.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/13/first-reactions-to-star-trek-beyond-overwhelmingly-positive/

My son has roped me into buying tickets for the two of us. While I am looking forward to seeing Karl Urban (my only favorite thing to come out of Nu Trek), if the rumors are true about the enemy getting defeated by Beastie Boys music sound waves...I don't think I will ever succeed with removing my palm from my face.

My son has roped me into buying tickets for the two of us. While I am looking forward to seeing Karl Urban (my only favorite thing to come out of Nu Trek), if the rumors are true about the enemy getting defeated by Beastie Boys music sound waves...I don't think I will ever succeed with removing my palm from my face.
It's Rhianna - not the Beasties this time around. The enemy, played by a known, bordering on acclaimed (yet, not quite A list) actor will be defeated by sound waves generated by the Enterprise's dish powered by Rhianna's music. It's unclear if the Beasties make an appearance yet, as JJ - known as a huge fan - isn't directing this one, but has been muttering "You gotta fight..."

At least we all agree that Karl Urban rocks and does a great Bones.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

I actually like all of the cast. I'm probably in the minority here with that opinion, but from the first movie I was able to buy into them as those characters, which is not an easy feat at all, considering that these are characters I grew up with. Zachary Quinto even had the increased level of difficulty of not only having to try to be Spock, but to have to actually play Spock while sharing the screen with Leonard Nimoy.

A lot of very positive tweets about Beyond in my feed this morning from people who saw the UK premiere.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/13/first-reactions-to-star-trek-beyond-overwhelmingly-positive/

I have to say that I'll let off a big sigh of relief if what they are saying is true. I really, really want this to be good. There will always be nitpickers of course, but as long as it doesn't have glaring errors like transporting to planets, repeating plotlines, and some continuity with the original series, I'll be happy!

Yeah, I agree, the casting was excellently done from the get-go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite my active dislike for the previous two films, I think the casting is one thing that they've gotten very right. The only exception being Cumberbatch, an excellent actor who nonetheless had no business playing Khan Noonien Singh. It should have been either another actor, or another character.

The characters were badly written at times, ("Hi Christopher, I'm Nero." Really?) but I can't lay any of the films' faults at the feet of the actors.

First review I've seen, he says it's poorly executed,and cheap looking, and recommends the film for popcorn action fans, and Transformers and Fast and Furious fans... but not for Star Trek fans.

And sums it up as chase after chase, with any excuse for an action sequence.
Pretty much what I was expecting.

(sorry, apparently he turned the video to private)

Despite my active dislike for the previous two films, I think the casting is one thing that they've gotten very right. The only exception being Cumberbatch, an excellent actor who nonetheless had no business playing Khan Noonien Singh. It should have been either another actor, or another character.

The characters were badly written at times, ("Hi Christopher, I'm Nero." Really?) but I can't lay any of the films' faults at the feet of the actors.

Very true. The Romulans especially were handled atrociously. They sounded and acted just like any modern day hooligans with zero believably. They can go on all they want about how modern audiences want "action" but even the worst Romulan portrayal of the TNG era was infinitely more interesting than what we got in the "Kelvin" reboot. I've never had the Romulans as favorite antagonists, nor do I think TOS holds up flawlessly, but oh how sorely missed are the beautiful performances of "Balance of Terror".

I actually like all of the cast. I'm probably in the minority here with that opinion, but from the first movie I was able to buy into them as those characters, which is not an easy feat at all, considering that these are characters I grew up with. Zachary Quinto even had the increased level of difficulty of not only having to try to be Spock, but to have to actually play Spock while sharing the screen with Leonard Nimoy.
It's not just you. I think most of the cast nails it.

But then, I like all versions of Trek, from TOS, TAS, Movies, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, to the numerous fan films online (especially ST:NV and STC).

I just like TOS best.

you're not alone. i like the cast. their real life personalities maybe not so much, but as the characters they do a good job.

it's just....this movie series is weird.

It kind of respects what has come before, and that is old spock being there.
but it flies in the face of everything else.

An enterprise that has a different nacelle design.
An engine room that looks like a brewery.
a REAL Warp core design that only came around after we complained about the brewery, which was still there..
putting the former captain pike in a wheelchair and then killing him off.

what looks like a complete redesign of kronos and the klingon ships....
romulans that act more like mobsters...

it's weird. it's like JJ understands so little, and is listening to an advisor that knows trek with half an ear. he says 'uh huh. uh huh..uh huh...oh, klingon ships that move like x wings... uh huh.. uh huh...' and then goes about doing things his own way..

that's the vibe i get off this new series. i'll wait for the VOD.

Star wars seems tobe the only series left that says 'you don't go against what the fans want...' even if that means copying and pasting episode 4 again :).

I just don't like the big giant plot holes. It's lazy and if you're blessed to get to do projects like this and can't be bothered to plug the holes then you're just not the right guy for the job, no matter how good your tv show or your version of Star wars is. (Which, while being way waaaaaay better than ID, still couldn't be bothered to plug the holes).

But I can't lay any of that at the feet of the cast.

I actually like this "nu-Trek" as you call it,it's fun and harkens back to the original much better then the whole Next Generation which was one big PC shmuck fest,in fact everything
since Next Gen did that.
So it's nice that Trek is fun again.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back