The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Planning on it tomorrow
Count me in. I was ok w/the belt I had enough to get through Dragon*Con, but now I'm looking to really hammer it home. This is coming along amazing and would definitely be interested if you plan on selling some.....

20140831_132114.jpg20140831_180912.jpg

Phase I version of Star Lord at Dragon*Con - overall very pleased! Now I'm moving on to the belt and mask. I'm trying to find some good info about LED wiring inside the mask - any RPF threads along those lines yet?

Soulinertia: since you have a real TPS Walkman would you be willing to post the measurements of the words Sony and Walkman? I'm going to cut the words out of sticky backed silver vinyl on my wife's computerized cutter for my replica and I'm curious what size the original words are.

So I made a little more progress, and one of my guns is (basically) finished.

https://plus.google.com/114952022129331891388/posts/9iDxi42rcau

That's a link to my Google+ posting...but....

20140905_221129_Woodcrest%u00252BDr.jpg20140905_221139_Woodcrest%u00252BDr.jpg20140905_221151_McGovernville%u00252BRd.jpg
20140905_221427.jpg
This photo depicts the gun in an alternate state, where I can fire each 'barrel' separately and sequentially. I think I'll be changing the bottom/yellow one to white or a blueish white instead.
I added some diffuser material and fixed the LED's in the small 'exhaust' type ports on the sides on the top and bottom. It looks MUCH better now.
20140905_221339_Welsh%u00252BDr.jpg20140905_221328_Welsh%u00252BDr.jpg
These 2 photos show the other state, where all 3 barrels are the same color, and they all fire simultaneously.

At some point in the near future, once I finish the second one, I'll do a nice, semi-long write up explaining how I did the entire process and what materials are required. Someone has already asked, so I figure it might be worthwhile to do it.

Suggestions?
I'm currently contemplating using a lathe and making one of the bottom barrels on one of the guns have the extended barrel portion, and making it light up. I just haven't gotten that far yet.

Soulinertia: since you have a real TPS Walkman would you be willing to post the measurements of the words Sony and Walkman? I'm going to cut the words out of sticky backed silver vinyl on my wife's computerized cutter for my replica and I'm curious what size the original words are.

Sony is 1 5/16" wide
Walkman is 1 9/16" wide

Does anyone know where I can get an accurate replica of the mix tape with the right tracks? Or what model of cassette tape it is so I can mix my own. View attachment 366916

Hey man, I was looking that up myself yesterday and came across this http://aggressivecomix.com/2014/08/how-to-make-your-very-own-awesome-mix-vol-1/. I'm new to all this high detailed prop rep cosplay so while I decided to use a old cassette tape I had that was close enough (have a very small budget and got to spend high $$$ on things I have no other choice on), this shows the exact type of cassette tape used and they included a photoshopped design and a service site that I think prints them as stickers to put on the cassette. I'm still trying to figure out how that service works (like do you send it in and they print it and ship it to you or do you just design it on their page and print it at home which I have no idea how I can do that, might just go to a Kinko's or something).

As for mixing it, there are many ways you could possibility do it. Again, I don't have a big budget on this, so I did it the "ghetto/old school" way that I used to do back when I was like 11-12 (kinda). All I had was a handheld cassette recorder my dad got me at Radio Shack and I put it's mic up to a mini portable speaker connected to my iPod with the whole Awesome Mix Vol. 1 on it. I hit record on the the recorder, hit play on the iPod, and sat there quietly for about 45 mins (had to stop at Come and Get Your Love and flip to other side with a 60 mins total tape). And it came out pretty good. So now, while I'm going to wear my Mom's old Sharp red and black walkman, I'll have a legit Awesome Mix Vol. 1 on cassette and rock out to it while cosplaying. Oooohhh yaaaaaa.

Last edited:
My recent search for reference material turned up these Guardians' trading cards with fabric swatches from a variety of costumes, best of all the best photo I have seen of the printed twill on Star Lord's short jacket. I was also fascinated by the blue print for the Star Lord's bag. There are other cards on evil bay if you are looking for other character references.

Drax card.JPGGamora Nebula Ronan card.JPGGamra Star Lord Rocket card.JPGGuardians cards.JPGStar Lord card.JPGStar Lord Gamora card.JPGstar lord Nova Prime card.JPGStar Lord Yondu card.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back