The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Has anyone tried making the Vol 3 belt yet and if there are any good patterns/measurements out there? Or even any other details on the proper materials?

Just got my jacket back from our local seamstress. Re-antique zipper added and angled cut done to the cuff areas. NOTE: It's one tough zipper so we added some Zipper-Ease lubricant to the teeth to smooth it out a bit. As of current takes some strength to zip this together. It was very affordable and just 2 blocks away from our home :) Also not 100% screen accurate but a homage to the Young Peter Quill outfit i am building for my son. 1980s vintage Jansport back pack with various patches added: NASA MEATBALL patch was the only 1 i can ID. Not screen accurate palm tree, planet Earth and PacMan GHOSTS which was seen when we were first introduced to the young Peter Quill. My son loves it. Vintage plaid red and black wool hunting jacket is from SEARS. Gray RIVER Rafter t-shirt worn by the Young Peter Quill and Bereet on order. Hope this helps in your build. My friend will be coming over this late afternoon to paint the arm badge glyph and valve. Distress and wear will be added to darken the overall look as best as possible.
View attachment 428777
Which model of all the Jansport backpacks is it (I see that the color varies a lot between models)?

I always call that the “cherry on top” mentality and it’s exactly how I do things too. JoeProps3D’s files are great but a little tough to work with.

It needs a mix of FDM and resin printing (for the detail sections) but has a TON of cool details.

Here’s a video of a version someone made from his files:

I made this version helmet using Joatrash FX

Star Lord's Helmet, accurate with screen used lineage.​

I ordered 2 face parts & used my dremel to cut into the two to make the end result. I used a magnetic phone charging connector to make the contact for the LEDS to work. The last slide is the video.

I made this version helmet using Joatrash FX

Star Lord's Helmet, accurate with screen used lineage.​

I ordered 2 face parts & used my dremel to cut into the two to make the end result. I used a magnetic phone charging connector to make the contact for the LEDS to work. The last slide is the video.

That was a real novel build! Nice mod! (I think I only printed one or two copies of those parts.)

I'm wondering if anyone can assist me with a question I have pertaining to the screen printing on either the volume 1 or 2 jackets (though I suppose it's more obvious on the movie 1 jacket).

I've been working with Indy Magnoli a lot to make a volume 1 jacket and I'm still perplexed at how his volume 1 screen printing isn't the same as, say, the Danny Lopez jacket, or even some custom ones I've seen in this topic.
The swatches of that jacket had black highly reflective triangles that instantly reflect light and I notice Indy's really doesn't actually reflect it. It just looks like. Cosmetic only. It still looks fine, but what is bothering me, I have literal shirts I bought at DOLLAR stores and have even found cheap replica items on sites like Aliexpress that also have black highly reflective patterns on them. I cannot find anything about what this is, but the fact that it's even on very inexpensive or replica clothing makes me think this is very common and not hard to do at all. Does anyone know what you call it or how to achieve it?
Indy had no real idea when I asked him and all my research just led me to "make your own party clothing" or crazy silver safety gear and things like that. Not at all what I was after. And I don't know how to be more specific than that.

Here's a picture of a cheap Aliexpress bag with the pattern all over it and the picture shows that this pattern on it reflects. And then one of those shirts I mentioned (notice the difference of flash vs non-flash). Seems just like the jackets in the film. Is this "screen printing" or something else entirely? (the bag looks like it has texture, but the shirt I showed is literally just imbedded in the fabric, so yeah, these are the best examples I have)

I'd appreciate any answers!

Attachments

• valve - Copy - Copy.jpg
    valve - Copy - Copy.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 39
  • valve - Copy.jpg
    valve - Copy.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240106_001014.jpg
    20240106_001014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240106_001020.jpg
    20240106_001020.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
I
The swatches of that jacket had black highly reflective triangles that instantly reflect light and I notice Indy's really doesn't actually reflect it. It just looks like. Cosmetic only.
The screen jacket has clear (not black) fabric paint, most likely with pearlescent medium in it.

The screen jacket has clear (not black) fabric paint, most likely with pearlescent medium in it.

So it's just painted on? Is this how it's also on those inexpensive examples I provided? I have the Danny Lopez jacket and it's virtually impossible to ever scratch off (same even with the T-shirt); I've even tried, and his jacket has the same print, so that's some baked in ultra permanent stuff.

About the swatch though, I know you made your own jacket the same way, but I explicitly remember seeing swatches from the jacket here (and elsewhere) that showed up close the triangles were all actually dark.

Found it! Those are definitely a bit darker than clear.

Attachments

• Gamra Star Lord Rocket card.JPG
    Gamra Star Lord Rocket card.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
So it's just painted on?
No, it was screen printed. (I wrote "paint" because it's thick and sits on top of the fabric as opposed to dye o ink, which would be fully absorbed.) I have swatches from the real fabrics they used on many costumes. After printing, you usually press-iron the fabric to "bake" the paint into it properly.

Pretty much all fabrics go dark when they get wet, and when you press clear paint into fabric, a little of the dark wet look stays. If you look at the photos on my Facebook page (click my sig) you can see the print looks both dark and reflective depending on the angle of the light hitting it.

No, it was screen printed. (I wrote "paint" because it's thick and sits on top of the fabric as opposed to dye o ink, which would be fully absorbed.) I have swatches from the real fabrics they used on many costumes. After printing, you usually press-iron the fabric to "bake" the paint into it properly.

Pretty much all fabrics go dark when they get wet, and when you press clear paint into fabric, a little of the dark wet look stays. If you look at the photos on my Facebook page (click my sig) you can see the print looks both dark and reflective depending on the angle of the light hitting it.

I appreciate the insight! Honestly, since talking with Indy, I've become so confused with what "screen printing" is. He apparently does it a totally different way, so I didn't know at all what the process on the jacket was!

And sadly, while I know your props are excellent, clicking your sig just gets me "content not available".

I appreciate the insight! Honestly, since talking with Indy, I've become so confused with what "screen printing" is. He apparently does it a totally different way, so I didn't know at all what the process on the jacket was!

And sadly, while I know your props are excellent, clicking your sig just gets me "content not available".
The marvel costumes use "High Density" or "Puff" screen printed textures. The ink puffs as heat is applied. You need a different screen and ink than standard screen printing so it tends to be more expensive.

The marvel costumes use "High Density" or "Puff" screen printed textures. The ink puffs as heat is applied. You need a different screen and ink than standard screen printing so it tends to be more expensive.

Great information, much appreciated!

I looked it up a bit and found puff is generally used in 3-dimensional prints, and at least for the Star Lord jacket, I don't think it's 3D, just shiny, but I still appreciate the insight!

Great information, much appreciated!

I looked it up a bit and found puff is generally used in 3-dimensional prints, and at least for the Star Lord jacket, I don't think it's 3D, just shiny, but I still appreciate the insight!
I didn't do a vol 1, but it was absolutely puff on the vol 2 jacket.

As new members are starting to get into the hobby it’s really sad to see the boom of all of it come and gone. Still happy to see longtime members post resources and offer services, but it does make me sad a bit. Hopefully people will come and see all this thread has to offer, it’s offered a lot to me through the years.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back