501st building a - Speeder Bike

I'd like to add that I believe I was shamefully mistaken in the measurement and size of the speeder bike that it is actually 4.4 Meters and has 3 sources to back it up the main of which is "The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels" making it 14.43 Feet long / 173 inches.

We have a member of our Garrison (Capital City) starting on a speeder bike as well...I'll be interested in your progress on this build.
Fairly large reference of all the details on the bike, but I'm hoping that we can start the bike sometime next month at least the framework, we've started building up a good team thanks to both RPF and some of the 501st in the area hopefully more of them will volunteer to help with the build supplies but it's all up to each individual as any 501st member knows you aren't obligated to spend your money you do it because you either want to look better/fix your armor/or help out. :D

Hi,
I'm Doug, CO of your neighbor to the north, the Timberline Garrison. I think we may have met briefly at SLCC. Sounds like a fun project! First, let me share some lessons learned from having R2:
Do NOT underestimate the destructive power of children. If it looks like it will push, they'll push it. If it looks like it will pull, they'll pull it. If it looks like it will turn, they'll turn it. If it doesn't look like it will break, they'll break it anyway. Because I chose to build a light-weight, styrene-based droid, it isn't as durable as say an all-aluminum droid, and things break much easier. I end up making repairs after nearly every event. Also, unless you just make a hard-and-fast rule at your booth, adults will want to sit on it too, so there's a decision to make there depending on the construction.

My point is this: If you're going to build it, I'd highly recommend building it out of the strongest materials the budget will allow. Perhaps a frame of aluminum pipe/tubing? It's lighter than steel, but stronger than pvc/wood/etc.

Have you considered consulting with the Belgian Garrison? They built this one that was at Celebration V and VI. I'm sure they could share some lessons learned and insight.
Celebration Speeder bike.jpg

Yes the breakability is something I've been considering a factor. I saw a photo of this speeder bike I didn't realize it was built by them. I will have to try to reach out to them and see if their CO can pass anything along. With some of the new team I've been able to build up here locally we have access to some pretty good equipment that should help us change a lot of things from being easy to break. But yes it's on my mind and it's something I've been considering.

Hi,
I'm Doug, CO of your neighbor to the north, the Timberline Garrison. I think we may have met briefly at SLCC. Sounds like a fun project! First, let me share some lessons learned from having R2:
Do NOT underestimate the destructive power of children. If it looks like it will push, they'll push it. If it looks like it will pull, they'll pull it. If it looks like it will turn, they'll turn it. If it doesn't look like it will break, they'll break it anyway. Because I chose to build a light-weight, styrene-based droid, it isn't as durable as say an all-aluminum droid, and things break much easier. I end up making repairs after nearly every event. Also, unless you just make a hard-and-fast rule at your booth, adults will want to sit on it too, so there's a decision to make there depending on the construction.

My point is this: If you're going to build it, I'd highly recommend building it out of the strongest materials the budget will allow. Perhaps a frame of aluminum pipe/tubing? It's lighter than steel, but stronger than pvc/wood/etc.

Have you considered consulting with the Belgian Garrison? They built this one that was at Celebration V and VI. I'm sure they could share some lessons learned and insight.
View attachment 381820

I have heard that the Belgian Garrison aren't very helpful when it comes to giving away secrets to their builds. Me and a fellow Garrison member here in Australia are working on 2 bikes. they will be made entirely out of aluminium, MDF and fibreglass. I am currently working on making CAD files for as much of the parts as I can.

I have heard that the Belgian Garrison aren't very helpful when it comes to giving away secrets to their builds. Me and a fellow Garrison member here in Australia are working on 2 bikes. they will be made entirely out of aluminium, MDF and fibreglass. I am currently working on making CAD files for as much of the parts as I can.
Hmm. Well we likely won't do it quite as much as that I wish we could aluminium for the whole thought would be amazing, but I'm hoping to get some pictures to show soon. Currently though I'm on a 17 day deadline to finish a clone. So I doubt I'll be able to help the team directly till after that.

We built a bike for the Ohio Garrison. Ours has a metal frame with a fiberglass shell and is mounted on a railroad tie welded to a 100 pound steel plate (to keep it from tipping). It's pretty heavy, but a couple of burly guys can movie it, in a pinch. (We prefer to use four guys) People can sit on it, no problem. It has seen some abuse in the past two years, so we are replacing the wooden handlebars with aluminum ones, and reinforcing the fiberglass in back. Otherwise, it has held up pretty well. But never underestimate a well-fed fanboy's ability to break it. Some people have no consideration at all.

One very vulnerable point are the little control levers. Whenever people dismount the bike, they tend to throw their leg over the control panel, and not everyone is that limber. They tend to get broken a lot.

What is your progress on this project?
I only ask because I've recently decided that building a full-sized WORKING speeder-bike is mostly going to become my life's idle time mission.

I can't remember if ewokus' speeder bike fueled this idea or created them, but DUDE!!! I don't even care much about cosplay, I wanna ride a speeder bike. I don't need to own this thing, I just need to see it made and ride it.

I have an idea that could get up to 25 mph, depending upon the weight of the rider and the weight of the build, though at top speed it might be a "little" unstable.

I'm lazy, so here's a cut-paste of the messages/images I've sent to ewokus W/ corresponding links. I'll head up a Gofundme page to get thing thing made. Tonight I'm gonna look into local welders online, but if we can tap people with skills to get this made ...not just dude, but DUDE!
the link to the scooter:
http://triadmotion.com/electric-scooters/04/the-all-new-2015-triad-750-xl
IMG_3739.JPGIMG_3740.JPGIMG_3739.JPGIMG_3740.JPG
Email 1

You sold the speeder bike, right? May I ask for how much?

I got a quote back on the scooter, $2,379.00 ....that does not include shipping. I'm starting to get kind of obsessed with building this thing, but I'm more interested in making and trying it than own it. If once it's made, I could sell it for cost or a little more...

The speeds are listed as 5, 12, and 25 mph. I asked them to send me an owner's manual and clarify some questions. It seems likely that those speed are top speed at a certain gear as opposed to a flat speed. It doesn't make sense that or a mobility scooter you'd be locked into not having more subtle control when operating it indoors.

I have a better idea about the steering mechanism mechanics now, but I'm a little leery of the stability dynamics at that top speed. I could see making a shifter like a bike derailleur so that the rear wheel would a more restricted and nuanced movement at top speed. It would be hard not to put all ones weight on the outside leg, thus making the turn even tighter and increasing the likelihood of roll over.

I think that if I/we sold it, the purchaser would have to sign a waiver that the mobility was solely to allow to for movement for display purposes with a warning about how the vehicle was inherently unstable at high speed. My brother's a mechanical engineer, I'm going to get him to look at my idea for this design.

Email 2
I got a quote back on the scooter, $2,379.00 ....that does not include shipping. I'm starting to get kind of obsessed with building this thing, but I'm more interested in making and trying it than own it. If once it's made, I could sell it for cost or a little more...

The speeds are listed as 5, 12, and 25 mph. I asked them to send me an owner's manual and clarify some questions. It seems likely that those speed are top speed at a certain gear as opposed to a flat speed. It doesn't make sense that or a mobility scooter you'd be locked into not having more subtle control when operating it indoors.

I have a better idea about the steering mechanism mechanics now, but I'm a little leery of the stability dynamics at that top speed. I could see making a shifter like a bike derailleur so that the rear wheel would a more restricted and nuanced movement at top speed. It would be hard not to put all ones weight on the outside leg, thus making the turn even tighter and increasing the likelihood of roll over.

I think that if I/we sold it, the purchaser would have to sign a waiver that the mobility was solely to allow to for movement for display purposes with a warning about how the vehicle was inherently unstable at high speed. My brother's a mechanical engineer, I'm going to get him to look at my idea for this design.

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3740.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly support for this project died down and one of the members helping is no longer part of the garrison. Funds being an issue also, it's on the back burner, but eventually I'll push to get this done. Last SLC Comic Con someone brought a full scale Destiny Speeder so scale wise they aren't too much different and they did it with a much smaller booth.

I understand your desire here, but firstly riding on 2 wheels you will tip, the scout bike has such a long nose that you would be better off on a 3-4 wheel base but then you are just talking about a shell over a scooter. The Technology to make dual and quad ridable hover bikes does exist now but you would be looking at around 50,000. The ridable ones generally use staggered stacked fans that allow for the control of 4 axes however unless you got up in the air you run the risk of wrecking the shell. I've seen small scale RC quad scout bikes made that are around 1:6 however weight, size, control are all big issues when you are talking about a moving bike, in the films they ran on tracks and rails elevated but at a very low speed, Lukas filmed them at a decreased frame rate to make them appear to be moving faster when shown on screen.

If you had to do it with wheels I'd go electric. then you could make the feet peddles just like the real ones. steering would still be hard but manageable.

They are being developed by both civilian and military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7aIXvyBC64

What is your progress on this project?
I only ask because I've recently decided that building a full-sized WORKING speeder-bike is mostly going to become my life's idle time mission.

I can't remember if ewokus' speeder bike fueled this idea or created them, but DUDE!!! I don't even care much about cosplay, I wanna ride a speeder bike. I don't need to own this thing, I just need to see it made and ride it.

I have an idea that could get up to 25 mph, depending upon the weight of the rider and the weight of the build, though at top speed it might be a "little" unstable.

I'm lazy, so here's a cut-paste of the messages/images I've sent to ewokus W/ corresponding links. I'll head up a Gofundme page to get thing thing made. Tonight I'm gonna look into local welders online, but if we can tap people with skills to get this made ...not just dude, but DUDE!
the link to the scooter:
http://triadmotion.com/electric-scooters/04/the-all-new-2015-triad-750-xl
View attachment 542634View attachment 542635View attachment 542634View attachment 542635
Email 1

You sold the speeder bike, right? May I ask for how much?

Email 2

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back