Probe Droid Hyperspace Pod LR223

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Against all better judgement, this is ending up with all plastic parts - no resin copies. Many Ferrari's died to bring you this information....

L1050577.jpg

L1050578.jpg

Yeah, and thank god for Japan's $36 1/12th car scores! The only way I pulled that off was being lucky, repeatedly, at Mandrake in Nakano Broadway.

(the secret is out!)

Jason,

Are the red bits all from the 312B? If so how do you cut them all to the same shape and size?
Great build by the way! Love the SS kitten!

Yeah JT, youll need 5 312b's to build it this way, which is why it wasnt made "in your face" public when i found it, cats outta the bag now, literally :lol

lee

The 312B is 1/12th - or do you mean the pod? I have no idea, lol.

As far as cutting, I cut one to where I thought it look good, and then cut the other 4 to match that one - by hand, no templates! No foolies!

Yeah, the Probe Droid is the newer fuzzier model:

HAN: It could be a speeder, one of ours.

SENIOR CONTROLLER: No. Wait -- there's something very weak coming
through.

Threepio steps up to the control panel and listens intently
to the strange signal.

CONTROL PANEL SPEAKER: "mewwww mewwww mewwww"

THREEPIO: Sir, I am fluent in six million forms of communication. This
signal is not used by the Alliance. It could be an Imperial code.

The transmission ends in static.

i highly reco' you slow it down a little. you will have little stubs at the ends of your hands (as fingers) if you keep up this pace until may (for wf).

The 312B is 1/12th - or do you mean the pod? I have no idea, lol.

As far as cutting, I cut one to where I thought it look good, and then cut the other 4 to match that one - by hand, no templates! No foolies!

Yeah, the Probe Droid is the newer fuzzier model:

HAN: It could be a speeder, one of ours.

SENIOR CONTROLLER: No. Wait -- there's something very weak coming
through.

Threepio steps up to the control panel and listens intently
to the strange signal.

CONTROL PANEL SPEAKER: "mewwww mewwww mewwww"

THREEPIO: Sir, I am fluent in six million forms of communication. This
signal is not used by the Alliance. It could be an Imperial code.

The transmission ends in static.
well what i mean is what scale would the probe droid be for that pod size?

thanks

mark

well what i mean is what scale would the probe droid be for that pod size?

thanks

mark

Mark,

These were filming models - I guess that kinda goes without saying, LOL - anyway, there is no way to establish a scale for the Probe Droid that emerges from the crater left on Hoth when the pod digs in like Wile E. Coyote. I think a lot of people tend to think that "studio scale" refers to a definitive ratio, like say 1/24, that can be used to derive a size that represents a filming model at any other scale, like 1/72. Doesn't work that way. Studio scale is usually just whatever size the production had time and money to build and that worked for the shot on film.

Most of the so-called "canon" reference on the sizes of hardware in the SW universe is just fiction that has been developed and published for entertainment, or to make money for the franchise. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just a matter of which fiction do you believe, or do you make your own.

A quick Google search suggests the Probot Hyperspace Pod is 3.4 meters (http://www.iaw.on.ca/~btaylor1/ProbotHPod.html). The PD is 1.6 meters (http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/imperialprobedroid/index.html).

The replica "studio scale" PDHP LR223 is about 175.0mm long. So, if you trust the Galactic Empire Data Bank, LOL, I think that makes the pod about 1/19 scale. So, your Probe Droid would need to be in the neighborhood of 84.0mm. If you wanted 1/72, the Pod would be under 50.0mm, which is less than 2".

Allan

Allan you rock!

And hey, 1/19th is close to 1/20th! Maschinen Krieger scale! My heart just skipped a beat.

Hell Jason that last photo is still clearer than most of the pics of this darn potosg you guys have been working from... looks great...thats one lil expensive piece of plastic.

Steve

Looks fab J.....really great to see it again "raw"...and i do like your take on the thruster cone...shame we cant see more on this, a rear ender pic and id have this down...grrrr, anyhoo, were all darn close, too close to call IMO.
Steve really knows his stuff, ive said for quite a while, for such an "insigificant" prop in filming time, this a spendy beast to put together from original donors.....the 8rad pod isnt a cheapie either, unless your shelf is stacked with the right kits lol.

lee

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back