Zero Year based Batman Cowl 1st cast

Knight Falcon

Hey guys! I've been working on my slim armored batman suit on and off for a while, and since I am having to make a cowl for it, I decided to base it heavily off of Greg Capullo's Zero Year cowl.

IMG_4369.JPGIMG_4368.JPG

I love how it's a modern look as well as a tribute towards the original cowl in some ways (mainly the ears).

Anyway, enough blabber, here's what I have so far. Still tweaking certain areas to make it more true to the comic.
Since it doesn't show much detail in the blacks, I decided to take some of my favorite elements from Jim Lee's design on a bust that I own.
IMG_4192.JPG

Okay, now here is what I have so far!
IMG_4481.jpg
IMG_4483.jpg
IMG_4484.jpg
IMG_4485.jpg
IMG_4486.jpg
IMG_4482.jpg

as I said, I still need to level/even/straighten out a lot, but I'm really enjoying this so far!
If you have any tips let me know!

-KF

Last edited:
Re: Zero Year based Batman Cowl WIP (PICS)

I'm a BIG fan of Greg Capullo's work, so I'll be interested to see how your piece finishes out. I've actually thought about doing a some of the gear that he wears in the Zero Year issue, too.

Okay a little Progress since last weekend! I took some better hi-res photos for your viewing pleasure.
IMG_3529.JPGIMG_3521.JPGIMG_3519.JPG

Afterwards I edited the nose, ear and other parts of it. Still working to refine this guy.

IMG_4572.jpgIMG_4575.jpgIMG_4574.jpg

Okay, I touched up the sculpt a bit, changed some things, and refined others.
Sprayed the clay with Kryolon Crystal Clear spray before I Mold it up.

IMG_4822.jpgIMG_4824.jpgIMG_4825.jpgIMG_4826.jpg

Greg Capullo has become my favorite Batman artist over the past year, so it's awesome to see someone basing their build off his work. Hope it turns out well!

Its funny this article is on here because I am in the progress of working on a Zero Year costume myself. I came on here to try and learn how to make a mold. I am pretty decent with clay. Have you made molds like this before? I would love to pick your brain if you have time.

Its funny this article is on here because I am in the progress of working on a Zero Year costume myself. I came on here to try and learn how to make a mold. I am pretty decent with clay. Have you made molds like this before? I would love to pick your brain if you have time.

I'm by no means a pro, as I'm still practicing to perfect my mold-making, but I know the process and could definitely tell you where I've messed up before. PM me if you want.

Thanks!
Update time, I'm having some major ultra cal issues...
Clay, for some reason, majorly stuck to the mold, even though I sprayed Crystal clear! ugh...this has never happened before.

Any tips for getting Monster Clay out of a mold (ESPECIALLY the ears).

Thanks!

First cast complete.
Still working on where I need to cast latex thicker.

IMG_5650.jpg
unfortunately I don't have the "Batchin"
Just practice, practice.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back