The Flash $28 Batman cowl mod

batfan10

Sr Member
Saw this on ebay and thought it would be fun to mod like I did the cheap ebay The Batman cowl (The Batman (On a budget))

I plan to cut out the fake keaton face, (this time) use latex soak gauze bandages to thicken the side, give it some plastidip and replace the emplem (I have a cheap scraps returns one I plan on using until I 3d print a proper Flash one)

Ebay photo:
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Cowl in person:
8762_0.jpg
8764_0.jpg
8765_0.jpg
8766_0.jpg

Cut some foam sheets for ear support and cut out the wouth and gave it some plastidip. Not 100% if im gonna try and thicken some areas with latex since it seems to hold it shape well on the manaquin.

Before Plastidip:

8780_0.jpg
8777_0.jpg

After
8778_0.jpg
8779_0.jpg

I do plan on replacing the emblem but im not sure if im going to cut it off or use it as a base

Added some latex to hopefully thicken it up/fill the ears (I removed the foam). Some of it dripped out onto the eyebrow but I'm hoping some light sand paper will fix that. I can't slosh it (for obvious reasons) so I'm brushing it on. I'll probly use the gauze soaked latex for the scallopped pieces

Also added some Velcro since it's easier to put on and off.

8781.jpg

This has been a learning curve. I did mostly a slush-latex but added some gauze halfway thru. It's hard to prevent the latex from pooling because there is no support structure. Overall it came out not too bad, tho the head it a little lumpy and trying to not get the inside of the ears stuck was a challange. However, it did fix the drooping upper eye!

Plastidipping now, the can is not shooting correctly and leaving drips everywhere
8797.jpg

Edit: I think I'm done with this one (re-working The Batman cowl also). It's about 80% where I'd want it to be. Not as tick as I'd like but given the limitations (and my first time working with latex) it came out ok. It kind of feels like a Rubie cowl now, but thats ok lol

8798_0.jpg
8799_0.jpg
8800_0.jpg
8801_0.jpg
8802_0.jpg

Last edited:
This has been a learning curve. I did mostly a slush-latex but added some gauze halfway thru. It's hard to prevent the latex from pooling because there is no support structure. Overall it came out not too bad, tho the head it a little lumpy and trying to not get the inside of the ears stuck was a challange. However, it did fix the drooping upper eye!

Plastidipping now, the can is not shooting correctly and leaving drips everywhere
View attachment 1746726

Edit: I think I'm done with this one (re-working The Batman cowl also). It's about 80% where I'd want it to be. Not as tick as I'd like but given the limitations (and my first time working with latex) it came out ok. It kind of feels like a Rubie cowl now, but thats ok lol

View attachment 1746762View attachment 1746763View attachment 1746764View attachment 1746765View attachment 1746766
I'm loving it and the logo. Did you make this?

I love to get one of them logos! That's really good work. Yeah the people that make that mask come from china. I had one that I did a trade with someone and it didn't quite fit my big head. But anywho that's a really good job. I have a latex return logo that someone has sent me that's really good. But I don't know how to paint latex. I gave it a call to Plasti dip but like I said I don't know how to paint it yellow. The paint that I thought were working had cracked in it and it kept cracking and I had to eventually clean it up. So now I'm back at the black logo. Any ideas on how to paint latex at a reasonable price? Again great cowl! And keep up the good work!

Jay

I love to get one of them logos! That's really good work. Yeah the people that make that mask come from china. I had one that I did a trade with someone and it didn't quite fit my big head. But anywho that's a really good job. I have a latex return logo that someone has sent me that's really good. But I don't know how to paint latex. I gave it a call to Plasti dip but like I said I don't know how to paint it yellow. The paint that I thought were working had cracked in it and it kept cracking and I had to eventually clean it up. So now I'm back at the black logo. Any ideas on how to paint latex at a reasonable price? Again great cowl! And keep up the good work!

Jay
Latex with acrylic works. Wiickedmakers (on youtube) also said you can use latex house paint as well, though I never tried that.

Added some latex to hopefully thicken it up/fill the ears (I removed the foam). Some of it dripped out onto the eyebrow but I'm hoping some light sand paper will fix that. I can't slosh it (for obvious reasons) so I'm brushing it on. I'll probly use the gauze soaked latex for the scallopped pieces

Also added some Velcro since it's easier to put on and off.

View attachment 1744316
Hey how did you attach the Velcro please?

Saw this on ebay and thought it would be fun to mod like I did the cheap ebay The Batman cowl (The Batman (On a budget))

I plan to cut out the fake keaton face, (this time) use latex soak gauze bandages to thicken the side, give it some plastidip and replace the emplem (I have a cheap scraps returns one I plan on using until I 3d print a proper Flash one)

Ebay photo:
View attachment 1743609

Cowl in person:
View attachment 1743610View attachment 1743611View attachment 1743612View attachment 1743613
Hi my mask ( pretty much the same ) was out of shape, arrived flat, how did you reshape this and ps- this should be a video! Looks amazing and need to follow this step by step but neurodivergent and find this stuff hard ( I live in London UK) thanks

Hey how did you attach the Velcro please?
Just some cheap super glue. I attached the abrasive side as one normally would (with the adhesive (with some super glue) side on the cowl right along the seam (so it wont show) and then I did the opposite for the soft side. I covered about hald of the soft side with super glue and then attached it so the other have is overlapped over the mask (you'll see it when it's un velcroed.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.png
    Untitled-3.png
    237.3 KB · Views: 56
Hi my mask ( pretty much the same ) was out of shape, arrived flat, how did you reshape this and ps- this should be a video! Looks amazing and need to follow this step by step but neurodivergent and find this stuff hard ( I live in London UK) thanks
Adding the latex does help alot with reshaping it because the latex is so thin. It does take alot of time and it was harder than I thought it'd be. I honestly does require alot of patience and time checking on the latex. Alot of it doesnt feel like it came together till the end for me.

I should of recorded it, but I felt like it might now of came out the way I wanted too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back