Yoda VD lightsaber discussion

Re: Yoda VD lightsaber question

Great work! Keep at it if you'd like, I'm surprised and pleased you're adding a black tint!

Oh, yeah! I'm loving that! Who knows where, people?

That's the original VD Yoda sabre. I got the display stand at a local hobby shop in New Jersey called AAA HOBBIES. I believe they distribute under the name STEVENS. Cost about 20.00. The stand revolves...battery operated. It is plastic not glass and it does have a mirrored base.
I'll take some better photos of it and check the hobby shop to see if they have any more.
-Ed

Last edited:

Just thought to look up Stanley Blieden without whom there never would have been a Yoda Sabre.
He passed away on June 26, 1998 at 81 years old...a year after his wife, Ann, passed away.
THANK YOU, Stanley. I hope you're up there looking down on us and smiling at what you've had a hand in creating.
R.I.P.
--Ed

Scott ... that really looks amazing and even with those issues with your Lambo-wheelcap ... it's far better than anything ... looking forward to getting good grips, oilpans and 1 emitter cast by you :) So I'll have a spare Bolsey #2 on the side with parts too ... and can finally plan finishing my real Praco.

Keep up your excellent work in progress :)

Chaim

Guys,
Just noticed that the ad I linked shows that the version there is only 4.5 high !???
That is not the correct size needed. The photo they used shows the correct one but not the correct size needed.
Here are some photos of the saber along with a ruler for scale.
Original%20VD%20Yoda%20Saber%201_zps1qkgnt6x.jpg

Original%20VD%20Yoda%20Saber%202_zpshjprlenl.jpg

Original%20VD%20Yoda%20Saber%203_zpsfo4p4mqz.jpg

Original%20VD%20Yoda%20Saber%204_zps3uumj0ab.jpg

TRUMPETER%20Display_zpswnng7asf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for clarifying that, Ed. The link was sold-out when I clicked it anyway (thankfully!).

Yeah I'm not seeing a 6 inch version... good to know they exist and brand... anyone have any luck?

This doesn't look as nice, but so far is the closest I could find...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/easy-models-3-3-diameter-turntable-8-dome-plastic-model-display-cas-9833

Master Sym-Cha and I were discussing the Praco I picked up recently (thanks scottjua!). I will be referring to its parts by their generally-accepted completed Yoda saber part name to attempt to avoid any confusion. The first image is of three related flashguns when speaking in terms of replicating a Yoda saber: Praco, Bolsey II, Service (they are arranged in that order, from left to right). The second photo shows the top-down view looking into the flashtubes.

image.jpg image.jpg

The Praco came with an unattached gigantic L turn bulb fixture that sits at the top of the flashtube. It is held to the Yoda saber's black plastic midband and is secured by two tiny screws (screws not pictured here). One screw is inserted through a tiny hole in the midband that is aligned with the two pins (and once removed, their holes). The other tiny screw hole is on the exact opposite side of the black plastic mid band.

image.jpg

As as you can see in the second photo, both the Praco and Bolsey II have what ends up being the emitter shroud rising to the very top of the black plastic midband. As seen below, the wonky L-turn headpiece will not fit inside the midband of the Praco while the emitter shroud is still inside it. There just is not enough room for it:

image.jpg image.jpg

This leads me to believe that the emitter shroud must have come as an accessory piece to this particular model Praco, which would negate the need for the L-turn headpiece in most cases. That being said, if you run across a Praco for sale, and it has this headpiece attached, you will likely not get the emitter shroud with it (unless specifically mentioned). Also, the original Yoda saber created by Ed Maggiani and Steve Dimszo does not have these two screw holes in it (I believe...perhaps Ed can verify this information?).

Just a warning for Praco seekers out there.

Last edited:

Good news. I ordered this, then tried to cancel my order after realizing it was the wrong size. They ignored my request to cancel the order and it arrived today and is in fact the correct size! the photo they were using is correct, the size listed was wrong. Thanks again Ed.

There's no such thing as luck nor time ... there can be only one ... and there's no place like home ... oh boy I'm getting my quotes confused ... carry on :wacko

Chaim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back