Year and half long Galactica build

Very nice, I'm about to start mine. What size drill bit did you use for the windows and how did you trim the excess fibre optic?

Thanks, Phil

Actually The drill and the fibers were from the old AMT fiber optic kit they used to include with their Star Destroyer, Enterprise D and DS9 models. You can still find them on ebay readily enough, but you'd probably be better off going to a merchant like the Fiber Optic Store and buying a combo to get you started
Fiber Optic Combos

If you prefer getting the AMT F.O. add on kit, this is what you'd be looking for:

I have all the lighting and filament but need to order a drill bit, might have to dig out the micrometer :)

Actually The drill and the fibers were from the old AMT fiber optic kit they used to include with their Star Destroyer, Enterprise D and DS9 models. You can still find them on ebay readily enough, but you'd probably be better off going to a merchant like the Fiber Optic Store and buying a combo to get you started
Fiber Optic Combos

If you prefer getting the AMT F.O. add on kit, this is what you'd be looking for:

Thanks for that. I got 3mm LEDs that are just to big for nav lights on a 670 scale ship.

Also, love the Galactica.

Thanks for that. I got 3mm LEDs that are just to big for nav lights on a 670 scale ship.

Also, love the Galactica.

what you can do with the LED is drill a pilot hole into the center of it and glue a F.O. strand into the hole. Or, you can put the LED into a drill chuck and grind away the diameter so you have a small tip that will look more in scale. I've used both techniques in the past with success.

Here is a fast and dirty sketch I did over at Scifi Model Action,

That is a work of art. I love the battle damage. It could double as a studio model.

getting this rig myself (once the tax $$$ shows up) going to be stealing some ideas from you, not really stealing more like an attempt at replicating certain aspects of your boat; ok yeah stealing...

getting this rig myself (once the tax $$$ shows up) going to be stealing some ideas from you, not really stealing more like an attempt at replicating certain aspects of your boat; ok yeah stealing...

Hehe, feel free to steal, that's why I took pics! ;):thumbsup

Yep, all those taxpayer dollars to train me as a Naval Electrician have paid off!:D

Now that's a model!! Mad skills there good sir. Love all the details. I really like the landing bay details. Yours are way cooler than the pe parts you can get. Way to go.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back