Wild Bill Kelso's A2 flight jacket (1941)

I checked the Japanese Real McCoy's site today and didn't find Kelso's jacket. :(

No-one has screencaps yet?

The Wolf

This would have had to have been over 10 years ago when they were doing the McQueen stuff from The Great Escape -- I have a book somewhere but finding it would be almost impossible right now. But if I do....

Jaws.............. 1
Blade Runner... 2
1941.............. 3

I'm not right..
Nuthin' wrong with that. I find it difficult to choose only one film as my absolute favorite, but Jaws is definitely in the running and I can honestly say I've seen it more times than any other film with the possible exception of Star Wars.

IMO 1941 is a highly underrated film. I remember walking out of the theater after seeing it for the first time in 1979, and nearly everyone was complaining because they thought it was going to be another Aykroyd/Belushi "buddy" film. At the time I was a little disappointed myself to find Belushi relegated to such a small role since his likeness was so prominently featured on the poster used to advertise the film at the time. The second time I saw it (which was several years later) it was playing at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood (California) on a double bill with Jaws. Seeing it again knowing what the film was and wasn't about, I had no expectations and enjoyed it immensely, and now I enjoy it more every time I see it.

I can make vidcaps again and I brought the DVD home from the video store.
I'll try to get the stills of Kelso's jacket tomorrow.

The Wolf

OK,.. Since we are being honest....

I used to have this wild a$$ Re-occuring Dream that played out like this..

The John Belushi, Wild Bill Kelso Character,.. Cast in Raiders Instead of Indy..

Wild Bill Kelso " Raiders of the Lost Ark "...

Now,.. That would be a Great Comedy..

At least my Dreams kept me laughing..

Stay Hard,
Snoose

Nuthin' wrong with that. I find it difficult to choose only one film as my absolute favorite, but Jaws is definitely in the running and I can honestly say I've seen it more times than any other film with the possible exception of Star Wars.

IMO 1941 is a highly underrated film. I remember walking out of the theater after seeing it for the first time in 1979, and nearly everyone was complaining because they thought it was going to be another Aykroyd/Belushi "buddy" film. At the time I was a little disappointed myself to find Belushi relegated to such a small role since his likeness was so prominently featured on the poster used to advertise the film at the time. The second time I saw it (which was several years later) it was playing at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood (California) on a double bill with Jaws. Seeing it again knowing what the film was and wasn't about, I had no expectations and enjoyed it immensely, and now I enjoy it more every time I see it.

The back of Kelso's jacket is shown twice, the best time is at the theater where he steals the motorcycle.

I hope these help.

The Wolf

OK,.. Since we are being honest....

I used to have this wild a$$ Re-occuring Dream that played out like this..

The John Belushi, Wild Bill Kelso Character,.. Cast in Raiders Instead of Indy..

Wild Bill Kelso " Raiders of the Lost Ark "...

Now,.. That would be a Great Comedy..

At least my Dreams kept me laughing..

Stay Hard,
Snoose

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought Ackroyd was filmed for a scene in Raiders but was later cut out. I want to say he played the same character from 1941.

Excellent Thanks for the help.
I am excited about doing this jacket.

I have painted a few before so this should be pretty easy really.
MX-W.jpg

I've got a thing for P-47's, was this depiction purely random or was it for the fighter pilot?

that jacket was a replica of an original WW2 flight jakcet painting.
I've got a thing for P-47's, was this depiction purely random or was it for the fighter pilot?[/quote]

So, I asked 'round... turns out the guy had a replica! :unsure It was a nice one, though.

Has anyone else found any good reference?

Yum! Crow tastes good...

I finally found this in its OAR, so I grabbed a copy, as I hadn't seen it since the '80s... which is mainly due to it being so hard to find. After watching it again, I really have to ask why it's such a maligned movie, 'cos it really isn't that bad. It is way better than any show that Kevin Smith or Judd Apatow have ever released! But that's a given, I guess... since it is a 'berg flick. ;) And Slim Pickens is better casting than Seth Rogen! :thumbsup

Sure, it's far from perfect, but it is a whole lot of fun; and the production values are second to none: I especially loved the jitterbug number (great use of the Louma) and the "Battle of Hollywood" (some of the best miniatures I've seen). The score is pretty good, too! I really can't get it out of my head! :unsure

Anyway, bump.

Have read through this thread and have decided that this year's DragonCon 2014 will demand I pull this costume off. I'm about Belushi's build and think it shouldn't be that hard to source. This thread is helpful for the jacket artwork (arguably, the most difficult part). The back of the jacket is the difficult scene to get. Other costume pieces are already being obtained.

I did one a couple years ago. Kinda rough, since I had to do it quick and all my airbrush equipment was buried in storage. I found a pinup pic that had a very similar pose and worked from that. Hope these pics help!

Attachments

• IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 345
Anyone got a good line on some AN-6530 goggles (reproductions are great) for this suit that won't cost me my first born child. I'd also happily go with something that is "similar" to the look. Anyone.......Anyone? ;) About got all the essentials to this suit.

Jesse

May I ask what kind of paints you used? Never painted leather before. Just curious. This looks really good by the way!

Jesse

I just grabbed some fabric paints from Michael's art supply. Since the jacket was suede, it soaked in rather well.

For the goggles, I picked up a pair of 'steampunk goggles' from eBay for about $7 US. All I had to do to them was paint the padding around the eyes grey to match the rubber gasket on the originals. It was close enough for a quick Halloween costume.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.png
    IMG_1029.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 101

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back