Why is the Wand Company Phaser Unit # 2 replica prop not exactly like the GJ Hero?

TOS Phaser

I read on the Wand Company (WC) website the owners/founders of WC met Greg Jein (GJ) and then laser scanned Greg's Star Trek(TM): TOS Phaser Unit # 2 (P2) prop.

Recently I happened to have some of the TPZ GJ P2 images open on my desktop while I was working on a drawing of the WC P2...

GJ - WC.png

GJ P2 switch location compared to WC P2 switch location

I knew there were some other differences between the WC P2 and GJ P2 - however I had not noticed the side switch on the WC P2 is too close to the bottom.

WC compared to GJ.png

And the switch appears to have a slightly larger diameter on the WC P2. Note: I believe Robn1 has already commented on the side rails of the WC P2.

So then I compared the rear of each P2:

WC - GJ rear.png

The ten turn on the WC P2 is too low. And the rear fins are not right...

I admit these observations are "nits". The WC P2 is closer than any production replica prop to date.

It is my hope that some company in the future will make a near perfect phaser unit #2 replica prop and sell it a reasonable price.

Last edited:
They did scan it but it is very wonky so they did make an idealized version based on the scans.

Here is a photo of the GJ being scanned:
Phaser-meet-Laser-1688x2291px.jpg

It was scanned and for you to question Greg , who is not alive to defend himself, or Chris and the Wand Co. team, who are, speaks volumes about you and your “Investigative” Procedures :confused:

It was scanned and for you to question Greg , who is not alive to defend himself, or Chris and the Wand Co. team, who are, speaks volumes about you and your “Investigative” Procedures :confused:
My investigate procedure is simple - I look at the photographic evidence and then ask questions on this - the only surviving forum - and wait for the prop makers, who have made this prop, to answer them.

I am very aware (as I was on the TPZ) some members are more open to debate than others...

It was not my intention to insult, besmirch, libel or upset anyone. If my questions have done so - then I sincerely apologize.

I have always had the greatest respect for Mr. Jean. If for no other reason than because he shared his treasure with the world - when in fact he did not have to so - as the other collectors have not.

Since I do not know "Chris" as you apparently do nor anyone on the Wand Co. team - please enlighten me - how should I have asked him/them these questions? By snail mail with "to whom it may concern"? The fact is I am quit pleased with the two WC P2s that I purchased. And will purchase more if the WC makes them available. Since I have no agenda - other than to have an accurate phaser unit # 2 perhaps I could have worded my questions better or left them off entirely. In fact I will edit the page to remove the following:
"Is it possible the know-it-all shill for the aftermarket P2 (auction P2) was correct? Did Greg make a copy of his TOS Hero P2? Which he then let the WC team scan?" and replace it with a simple statement.

In the past the makers such as AA and Master Replicas revealed their original designs were altered by Chinese manufactures. Which accounted for the inaccuracies in their models.

Since I do not know "Chris" as you apparently do nor anyone on the Wand Co. team - please enlighten me - how should I have asked him/them these questions? By snail mail with "to whom it may concern"? The fact is I am quit pleased with the two WC P2s that I purchased. And will purchase more if the WC makes them available. Since I have no agenda - other than to have an accurate phaser unit # 2 perhaps I could have worded my questions better or left them off entirely. In fact I will edit the page to remove the following:
"Is it possible the know-it-all shill for the aftermarket P2 (auction P2) was correct? Did Greg make a copy of his TOS Hero P2? Which he then let the WC team scan?" and replace it with a simple statement.

In the past the makers such as AA and Master Replicas revealed their original designs were altered by Chinese manufactures. Which accounted for the inaccuracies in their models.
Now you are being facetious, much of what you ask has already been discussed ad nauseam here and other forums.

As you know by now, there IS no perfect Phaser-2 replica.

Unless you are trying to duplicate a certain one, they were all different

There is no big mystery here… no conspiracy with switched phasers. You seem to be over thinking this… the Wand phaser was made from a scan of Greg’s original.
The Wand company cleaned up the phaser, to straighten things out, removing the wonky nature of the original,
They also had to factor in the manufacturing process as welll.
You note the ten turn issue. On the TPZ the stated they removed the step under the 10 turn. That’s what you are seeing. That’s why it looks odd… nothing more. Just a design choice on their part.
The handle on the Wand is undersized. Which again, they admitted to and was an error made during the design process.

So again, no one is hiding or doing a shell game here. Out of the box the Wand is a great replica. If you want a more accurate phaser there are any number of ways to upgrade. It will never be perfect though. As Apollo noted, no 2 phasers were identical.

You note the ten turn issue. On the TPZ the stated they removed the step under the 10 turn. That’s what you are seeing. That’s why it looks odd… nothing more. Just a design choice on their part.
I was away from the TPZ for more than 5 years due to illness and missed a great deal in the phaser thread - such as Sporak's passing. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Thank you.

" ... no 2 phasers were identical." Yes I have been studying the four hero phasers made by the Desilu Studies Effects Department and I am aware no two of the four are the same.

My investigate procedure is simple - I look at the photographic evidence and then ask questions on this - the only surviving forum - and wait for the prop makers, who have made this prop, to answer them.

I am very aware (as I was on the TPZ) some members are more open to debate than others...

It was not my intention to insult, besmirch, libel or upset anyone. If my questions have done so - then I sincerely apologize.

I have always had the greatest respect for Mr. Jean. If for no other reason than because he shared his treasure with the world - when in fact he did not have to so - as the other collectors have not.

You could go over onto the Wand Tricorder Blog. Chris often answers questions about the phaser and communicator on there after each Tricorder newsletter update, while chatting generally about the Tricorder's progress. (He indicated in the blog before last the Tricorders price was still projected hopefully to be $300/£300. Of course, $300 is currently £235 in Britain, so we're still getting reamed for £65 for the exchange rate. But I'll happily swallow it.)

You could go over onto the Wand Tricorder Blog. Chris often answers questions about the phaser and communicator on there after each Tricorder newsletter update, while chatting generally about the Tricorder's progress. (He indicated in the blog before last the Tricorders price was still projected hopefully to be $300/£300. Of course, $300 is currently £235 in Britain, so we're still getting reamed for £65 for the exchange rate. But I'll happily swallow it.)

Britcinescribe,

Thanks for the heads up.

I appreciate it.

I was away from the TPZ for more than 5 years due to illness and missed a great deal in the phaser thread - such as Sporak's passing. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Thank you.

" ... no 2 phasers were identical." Yes I have been studying the four hero phasers made by the Desilu Studies Effects Department and I am aware no two of the four are the same.
Sporak Passed away? OMG!

I am always shocked when someone I knew and dealt with in the prop community passes.

I have several of his pieces.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back