Why aren't these movies on Bluray?

Can't remember if I posted here... but c'mon... RAD! why no RAD?!

Mighty Ducks 2 and 3?!?!

These are all crap movies, I know this, but if I'm going to get nostalgic for crap movies, may as well be in 1080.

Ghostbusters 2
The Abyss

The answer to any question that starts with "Why isn't" or "Why haven't they" or "Why won't they" is invariably the same: money.

Same reason it's so damned hard to find, say, old Jay Ward cartoons on DVD (zenith of the cartoonist's art, I think!) or why we can't find the few "Gary the Rat (one season) or why BBC cancelled "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" after it's exceptional run of - get this - four whole episodes. (A pity, I think. I would like to have seen where it would go next...)

I got a little excited when I heard the Marx Bros were finally coming to BR, but it's only "Love Happy" (the last and least enjoyable of their films). :facepalm Come on already, these movies (or were they still called "talkies" in 1929? ;) ) are almost 100 years old! If they still exist on actual film, the medium must be degrading fast. Some day I want to see them in wide screen, I'm sick of Harpo and Zeppo getting cut out of the shots because of cropping to full screen. :behave

Thief (1981)

This is THE James Caan film.

Often overlooked Michael Mann classic in the same vein as "Heat" and every bit as good. While "Heat" was an LA film "Thief" was Chicago through and through. Even the DVD release is the cropped letterbox so the image quality is severely degraded when viewed on widescreen.

This film is also notable for the film debut of Willie Nelson who does an incredible and touching job. I was fearful that his presence would be a distraction but he actually plays the part with remarkable delicacy and power.

Also a young Dennis Farina makes his (first?) appearance in a small part.

Early James Belushi is in this too ...he's the only person who isn't superb (even out of the secondary characters), but it doesn't ruin the movie.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Yzg0G_-9TNs/UH4OhkcaZFI/AAAAAAAABc4/hB9qA9pqAmA/s1600/thief.jpg

http://www.thethirdcity.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Thiefcaan.jpg

(when googling images to post I learned that Criterion will be releasing the Blu-Ray in 2014!!!)

Thought I would give this movie a shot. You made it sound so interesting. Couldn't find it streaming anywhere, so I got the Criterion blu ray from Amazon.

Excellent! Amazing look. Great acting. Aweosme story. Very noir. Kind of like Blade Runner meets Drive.

So many hidden gems still for me to discover in the sea of movies.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back